Love the 272 please update - 1 click like post

The sn3 with nd555 will be brilliant…it just needs very careful speaker partnering get that right and it will be grin city :sunglasses:

3 Likes

As a music server it makes an adequate NAS for personal use, or a small business like my own. The flip side is you’d have to buy an expensive NAS to be able to run Roon core (which was one of my requirements, and then solve the problem of getting that to work with the 272), and then it would probably only make an adequate music server. As a dual purpose device I’d rather compromise on the NAS aspects.

I have thought of a LPS. Following my own logic that bits are bits, then I guess it depends if the server is part of the playback system, and it probably is as I’m currently bypassing the streamer the way it is connected. I’ll probably buy one, or get Sean Jacobs to make one for me.

When I get my 555 it will be interesting to test the Prestige connected over the network and so using the 272 streamer section against the Prestige connected directly to a digital input.

1 Like

I heard a rumour recently that there isn’t a 272 replacement for the very reason you suggest; NDX2 is just a much better source and if you only want 2 or 3 boxes, Supernait 3 is all the pre- and power- amp you need. My 272 developed a serious fault last week, which I can’t have repaired at the moment, so I’ve also jumped to the only 3-box alternative.

1 Like

Hi

I am in a very similar position with 272 having recently developed a ‘Fault 36 DSP Error 1’. Will have wait for things to get back to some sort of normality before I can get it repaired
The option of swapping out 272 and 250 at same time, keeping XPSDR, does not really appeal with prospect of going backwards on amplifier path to SN3.
If Naim are going to release revised 272, they should announce it soon otherwise there may be a drift away from Naim to provide a Streamer/Pre.
Let’s hope the rumour is false and Naim are still on track for May in Munich … Oh :flushed:
CK

1 Like

If Naim don’t announce the replacement for the 272 soon I might have to buy one! I have noticed a few good deals on new ones recently.

2 Likes

Naim have a history of making some (seemingly) “unusual” business decisions. But always, in the past, there has been some kind of logic behind it. Usually predicated upon ultimate sound quality. Not replacing (and refusing to discuss) the 272 just seems bizarre! Could it be that their French lords and masters don’t have active speakers in their inventory?

1 Like

It does seem strange that they wouldn’t replace it. All their major competitors have a dac/steaming/pre amp in their ranges.

1 Like

But didn’t that argument apply equally to the 272? The 272/250DR was around the same price as a NDX/SN2 at the time of introduction.

I suspect you’re right and there won’t be a replacement, but more because of the difficulty of cramming everything into a single box.

Roger

1 Like

That can’t be right everyone else manages too, some in much smaller boxes.

1 Like

As has been mentioned on many threads, Naim see the preamp and power amp as two halves of one unit. So using a streamer directly into another manufacturer’s power amp does not really fit into their design philosophy. At one time they did have some interest (according to reviewer Jason Kennedy) in using the 272 with active ATCs but absent, say, an active Focal with Naim electronics, they may no longer feel this is a priority.

Roger

Still doesn’t make sense as you can mix and match a streamer, pre, power with all different brands and all different combos. Many here use a Naim pre amp in active systems, not having a streaming pre isn’t going to change that. Naim not having a product similar to the 272 imo is a bad decision but they obviously know more than we do.

3 Likes

Hi Ceexkay
I had the same fear of going backwards losing my 272/250 to go to SN3. I now have an ND555 with SN3 for just over a month now and there’s nothing I’m feeling has gone backwards. Music is sounding better than my fully run in 272/250 and my dealer says there’s much more to come.

2 Likes

Sure, they do, but Naim have always done things differently. Not many manufacturers produce a four box amp (252/300). The 272 is the only Naim pre that includes a built-in power supply (correct me if I’m wrong) and being Naim this means fitting a big toroidal into a box along with streamer, DAC and preamp circuitry and keeping sensitive circuitry isolated from interference. I seem to recall that it was suggested that a revised 272 should leave out the transformer and rely on an external PS, but I guess that would reduce the market significantly.

Roger

2 Likes

Again being the only pre amp with its own power supply I think is irrelevant all the integrated amps not only have the power source but also the power amps. Not to mention the Uniti’s ranges which also have DACs and streamers.

Grin city - I’m there!
SL2s and Xanthe’s non-patented amazing component isolation system…
The music :notes: is flowing…

I’ve now blown the budget that would have bought a 372 so I’m not that bothered either way in the medium term.

1 Like

I still think Naim are missing a trick though if they do drop the 272 for this reason. Almost everyone who has a 272 soon has the itch to add one of the 3 external power supplies that all improve it to varying degrees, if we’re to believe the input from this forum. So it would seem that the step to a replacement without an internal PS wouldn’t be a big move away from what is the current norm of the 272 effectively being a 2 box solution. And the current ownership of 272s who seem to be clamping at the bit for a replacement that uses the current streaming tech must be quite substantial - it can’t be just me hoping they do provide something that can do Quobuz and plays streams without the bothersome dropouts that the older tech can’t handle.

A 300 (2 boxes) + a 272 & PS is a superb 4 box system. As the (my) 272 ages the current replacement path is NDX2 (w the 272’s PS) + at least 2 boxes in the form of a 252 + SC or 282 and its min 3 boxes. So that’s at least 2 more shelves to add to the cost. Without a 272 replacement some of us are at a dead end and when the 272 goes pop there’s a difficult question building about which way to go to replace it.

6 Likes

Gosh - sorry to hear that
what does that error code mean?
What are the symptoms?

Sorry to hear that, Seth.
What is the fault?

I spotted SL2s in your post Jim :grin:

1 Like

Yes, it all worked out wonderfully in the end.
Was worth driving 587 miles in a day to get them (just before lockdown).