Love the 272 please update - 1 click like post

There’s more than the DAC which is a chipset only, sound quality depends on the whole configuration …

2 Likes

I completely agree just stating that the DAC inside a 272 is different to the ND5XS2.

I have a gut feeling that Naim will … update the 272 … they probably have plenty of design time available…

1 Like

Thought as much so the advice still goes.

Just a gut feeling or based on comments/ remarks from e.g. a dealer?

I still think all the pre amps need an update.

7 Likes

Agree ! as they haven’t changed much since they were launched in year 2000.

After the integrated amps last year, will 2020 be the year of the pre amps ?

Would love to see an upgraded 272 on the new streaming platform and with no internal power supply.

1 Like

The question is I suppose, why? And in what way? One idea I had was preamps with a slot in Dac and streamer card. That would keep things up to date. Others can manage this very well by all accounts.

The current pre amps lack a headphone amp and possibly a phono stage. That’s 4 extra boxes that their competitors don’t require. Naim would be ill advised not to replace the 272, all the major manufacturers have one.

1 Like

Well when I visited them about 6 months ago … they were very coy when questioned specifically but their body language sort of gave the vibe they wanted to answer…which I took as a hopeful sign…I could be wrong…but I am a glass half full person…:relieved:

3 Likes

One factor is that the large single motherboard is quite complex … and very time consuming to design and shake down…the complexity of the 272 was shown to me on the walk round…I think they are very proud of the design and performance of the 272…

I agree, a headphone amp would be a good idea. I’m sure you’ve noticed that the Headline has been discontinued.

1 Like

A so called meganait or 500 series intergrated could be the end of the 272.
If this is what’s up Naims sleeve then it would suit the NDX2/ND555 front end nicely and become the ultimate 3 box system.

1 Like

A 272/250 is two boxes and I guess that Naim might say that a NDX2/SN3 will give similar or better SQ at around the same price (guessing on 272 replacement cost, of course). There are two groups this might not satisfy: existing 272 owners wanting to upgrade and gain the new streaming platform and folk wanting a single box + active speaker setup. Cramming all the 272-type goodies into a standard box with appropriate isolation may be sufficiently tricky (cf not-so-successful 172XS) to incur significant development costs, which raises the question of whether it’s worth the investment. Only Naim knows.

Roger

2 Likes

Well, it’s about a year ago since Naim introduced the 2nd generation mu-so and mu-so Qb. After that, I can’t recall seeing any new products.

It’s time for something new, isn’t it?

1 Like

You’d think so, the pre amps are screaming out to be updated. That should also include a 272 replacement. Was just looking through a hi fi mag and noticed how many high end manufacturers have a streamer/dac pre amp, nearly all of them

3 Likes

Come on @Richard.Dane time for a sign man…

2 Likes

Control Yourself002small

17 Likes

Wow … a whole new range of streamer/dac pre-amps … that would be something!

Just love the retro Naim design … so iconic. Incidentally turning the volume to the one o’clock position - would be ear bleeding territory… even 10 o’clock on the 552 is flippin loud…with 84 db speakers…