Love the 272 please update - 1 click like post

Exactly HH, For me the streamer part could be dropped and it would be in my view what an updated line of Naim preamps should look like. The user interface, the naming of inputs, the trimming of gain across inputs both analogue and digital is what stops me from ‘upgrading’ to a 252. That and cost of course!

1 Like

Cheers guys some interesting thoughts …

My personal findings with the 272 … was that it was fantastic … but the headphone section was a bit ‘meh’. For me if they dropped the headphone stage … but had the power facility to drive a headline and or a stageline … that would be good. Perhaps even have an option to buy one without the transformer… As for the volume … I liked the rotary control. A sprung chasis would be nice … maybe slightly more simplistically done than the NDS.

2 Likes

So you want to drop the transformer but have the capability to power a headline…:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Why not? The power would just come from a rail in the external PSU, as it does in some of the higher end Naim preamps. I have no interest in the 272 or it’s possible successor, but this in itself seems perfectly feasible to me.

Appreciate that - it was more the ‘I want it to be less versatile but also more versatile’ aspect that I was commenting on.

Naim could have a look at Linn Select or even back at their own pre-amps: how about an amp with plug in modules - if you want phono you can have it, if you want async USB you can have it, if you want Ethernet you can have it, if you want FM you can have it, if you want a head amp you can have it and so on.

1 Like

For what it is worth, my Xmas updated 272 wish list, in priority order.

(1) Better sounding than the current 272.
(2) Can be purchased with and without internal power supply. If purchased without, can utilise both 555PS (DR) outputs.
(3) Incorporates new streaming architecture from new Naim streamers.
(4) Volume control and headphone output.
(5) New display which is fitted to new Naim streamers and Uniti range.
(6) Includes an updated remote control.
(7) Can be controlled by Naim IOS app.
(8) Prepared to sacrifice all analogue inputs, to achieve (1) above.
(9) If (8) is performed, room on back could easily found for XLR outputs, for ATC active fans.

7 Likes

Bare to bare (272/200 282/200) with an LP12 I was surprised how close they compared. 272 probably 80-85% with less weight, speed and frequency extension. The presentation was also different with the 272 less forward.

Actually this thread makes it quite clear what Naim need to do. A new product that is customisable for each customer.

You order the basic case and then get to select the components and functionality that you want from a wide range. Naim then build it for you - say within a week - and you get to pay anything from £500 to a maximum of £1999.

The dealer then delivers it and installs it for you at whenever is convenient to you, say in the evening but not too early as that’s when you have your evening meal, or perhaps on a Sunday.

They’d sell like hot cakes…

2 Likes

According to my local Naim dealer, he could count thirty people off the top of his head, who would buy a updated 272 tomorrow.
A comparison of what Naim could achieve and more is something similar to a Auralic Vega G2.

Love this thread more and more :smiley:

Hands up who remembers this. The Meridian MCA.

3 Likes

No 8 is no use if you’ve got a tuner or a record player. Or a CD player without digital output. Or a cassette deck…

2 Likes

I was going to buy one of those yonks ago!!!..thanks hh for reminding me!..I thought its design was brilliant…can’t see Naim doing that though…but it is elegant…apart from the horrible fuzzy finish…
It would be interesting seeing one of these for a nine channel av surround sound system…it would be awesomely wide!!!

My Nac 72 is streets ahead of the competition and is already modular. Still waiting for a Naim streaming board though.

Ah yes, the “Zebra”…

Or 8 track player :grinning: Seriously, I do take your point. The problem is that current 272 is so versatile and fantastic sounding, especially with a external power supply. I do not know if Naim can produce a superior sounding updated 272, without having to sacrifice some of it’s current versatility.

P.S. Mentioning 8 track, reminds me of the first item I ever electronically repaired was a 8 track music centre - SOTA - certainly not.

To tell the truth I’d be perfectly happy if there isn’t a replacement. My system gives me endless hours of enjoyment at a level of sound quality that always delights. I can’t afford a new model anyway.

4 Likes

As I said on another thread, any replacement is going to have to be remarkably good to even begin to tempt me to part with what I think is likely to be in the £5-7k region. In fact, like HH, I get so much pleasure from my existing system I’ll just continue to avoid listening to any other equipment, Naim or otherwise! In any event, Mrs T wants an upgrade to her motorhome(!), and there are lots of long haul holidays to be saved up for.

Whether Naim will update current model or not, that’s a tough call, it belongs to a pre amp line, although slightly different, but if they consider updating it, the likelihood is to be updated in parallel with some of the current pre amps as well, who knows which one, or could be all? We’ve seen recently Naim dropped an entire range when updating a line - anybody noticed there was no Nait5-3 along with XS and SN recent launch? Was it because it was not selling enough? Not likely. Probably sold better then both. So what the next pre amp line will look like will be very interesting. Will Naim discontinue one from the current line? No new 282? Just 372 and 352 both with streaming abilities? Or just a dac and a pre amp? Naim have not released a stand alone DAC in a decade as opposed to the streamers, if the streaming section is left out it will definitely be cleaner with lower noise.

Never heard the current model, but apparently it is great piece of electronics and I might consider replacing my v1 dac, as it will be the closest to it, given the dac and the pre amp sections, especially if the DAC is better than the one in v1 (it should be) and has a better pre amp than the one in SN2.