LP12 shootout at Cymbiosis

One of the joys of LP12sis that there are a lot of them about secondhand. It is a good deal harder to get (say) a top-spec MG-1 or find the individual bits you want with comparatively little wait. My Stiletto was not new - the only difference was the price.

1 Like

Orb… afi is the far more … pricy :rofl: model.
It works really well! And the vinyl sounds really better! No kidding!

5 Likes

Pricey! So I see - it’s only money though.

Kidding … look at the design. It is brutal expensive but looks so good and works very good!

1 Like

I spy a lp12 with a metal base for sale, looks a very high spec, but i am not up to speed on the lp12. It’s not a fluted one like yours and doesn’t look as lovely for it, but £16k from a deal, is that a good price?

2 Likes

Does the ad specify that it’s an LP12 Stiletto/ Scorpion?

Here it is, fantastic set up @Cohen1263.

The set up is complicated but you’ve done a great job getting everything in.

The LP12 looks superb. I would imagine you’re loving the sound!

Congratulations my friend.

3 Likes

I love the stealth looks of the LP12. Glorious!

2 Likes

Cheers my friend. It sounds awesome to be honest

2 Likes

My Stiletto LP12 had Keel, Radikal1, Ekos, Kleos and Eklipse base and cost £9k. What is the spec in this case?

3 Likes

Great price Nick :+1:

2 Likes

I paid £1600 for the ARO and £800 for the Urika 1 which kept the costs down. I also already owned a DVXV1t and recouped £1350 for my Superline. The krad2 was the major expense

3 Likes

I just played one of my favourite Jazz albums Chet Baker’s Chet. The timber and tone along with the separation out of the inky black background was really something. Easily the best that I’ve heard the album

5 Likes

Beautiful, over-engineering at its best!

When all is said and done in time we forget about the costs and enjoy the music. It’s great to get good deals though and it sounds like you have.

I was very happy with how the deal went down with my 552DR and LP12 upgrades.

The best deal I got was 500DR though earlier this year. Now that was a steal!

Still got my phonostage to sell. It’s on the market but yet to be shifted.

3 Likes

I agree Dan. It was more important to me to get an LP12 set up as well as it can be than achieve discounts. Peter Swain isn’t a discounter per se but he is very very good at setting up an LP12. I stand by my view that the second hand hifi market is a buyers one right now. All the best with the phono stage sale :+1:

4 Likes

It certainly is a buyers market. Deals are to be had. I was really happy with service by DNA Audio. Darren, a former Naim employee was excellent.

I got a lovely 552DR and brand new KRadikal 2 and Urika 1 even though I paid ex demo rates. He wanted everything to be right for me. It’s service like that which stands out and makes you want to use them again.

I am so glad the LP12 installation has worked out so well. I think the Snaxo looks cool slanted as well. As does the PhoenixNet. Slight quirks make it look interesting. The racking staggered and S1 at the back looks cool too.

It’s getting things to look right and sound right with using the space you have that are important too.

1 Like

Thanks Dan. The Snaxo is at an angle because because the 1.25m IC to the bottom 500 won’t reach otherwise and the PN is because the back FRAIM upright interferes with either the IEC plug or Streaming cable depending on which side of the shelfit sits.

1 Like

Begs the question for me whether Urika is “subtracting” something that improves that passage or is truer to the “actual recording,” whatever that is.

(NB: I have no skin in this game. Just enjoying reading a great thread – the type of “real-world comparison reporting” that I really enjoy reading about! Well done @Cohen1263 )

3 Likes

That when i noticed it made my OCD start to bleep.
Also a shame to hide the S1.
But if it works for you then what’s it matter.

I will try and find the listing for the lp12 to get its spec, but guy traded it in for another different deck.