LP12 shootout at Cymbiosis

Thanks Bart. Good question. All I can say is that the track sounded better than ever today and the “shouty” first line WAS there. Have you sold your Solstice?

2 Likes

No I still have the Solstice – “all original” except that Im using SC/SL with it. It makes nice music in my system.

Right now I dont have much interest in going down a ‘new turntable’ path; it would require a significant demo opportunity as you did. There are ways to do that (it’d have to be in-home so I could compare to my Solstice) with some brands via local dealers. One local dealer does Clearaudio, and one does Clearaudio, Basis, and VPI (they nominally do Linn but I’m pretty sure they have none in stock and all that means is that they can order them in).

2 Likes

Im ALWAYS curious to hear new-to-me hardware, and I have no doubt I’d enjoy hearing some of the offerings esp from Linn and Clearaudio. One just has to be “ready” for the process!

I’ve actually never heard an LP12. I did not grow up with English hi fi and no dealers demo them in my area. But for covid I would own one; Peter was set to come to my home and leave me with one, planned for April 2020.

3 Likes

That’s looking really cool, Rob. Congratulations! I bet it sounds brilliant.

Did Peter bring the Kudos Sigao with him so that you could compare it with your SNAXO? That’s got to be worth hearing.

You’ve inspired me to arrange a demo - I was talking to Peter about it last weekend. Although I suspect I’d be able to compare a Klimax LP12 and Stiletto LP12, they’re both currently set up with Ekos arms, so I couldn’t compare directly with my own LP12 as mine has an Aro and already has a Karmen top plate (same as Stiletto). I have to say though that I was really impressed with the finish of the Stiletto.

4 Likes

I want an aro … :sob:

2 Likes

Well Clive you know how the ARO benefits greatly from the Keel? Think on those lines with Stiletto/Scorpion added. Trust me. It’s a big upgrade over the timber plinth IMO.

He doesn’t have the SIGAO yet. All good things ………. :+1:

4 Likes

Well you can’t have one :joy:

1 Like

Vice Versa at my side - 552 was a steal and 500dr was ok :ok_hand:

1 Like

In uk it is a buyers market - in Germany the prices has gone up.

Wow!

It goes like that. It’s overall system that counts. You get somethings at a crazy deal. Sometimes you have to pay the going rate or even slightly more. Swings and roundabouts!

2 Likes

Congratulations on the new TT @Cohen1263, it looks stunning and i’m sure the sound is stunning.

Enjoy.

1 Like

The crazy deals on 552DRs and 500DRs have now gone. It was particular seller who was selling a load of gear at auction. This is where I got in on 500DR deal.

Maybe never to be seen again.

Prices in UK are stabilising a bit with this stuff now.

1 Like

Why not?
Ok - you may tell the truth. Outside uk - no aro for ages

1 Like

Further to your post Clive. If you dem the Stiletto/ Scorpion v stock with Ekos what you hear will be transferred in equal proportion with ARO. The softish bass that I once heard through my old LP12/ ARO has gone. The flowing fluidity hasn’t gone anywhere though.

3 Likes

English humour Drago.

2 Likes

I am really really fine with English humor! :smile:

1 Like

Hi Bart
Just wondering what the spec was of the lp12 you nearly got in 2020?
Thanks
Tony

About time someone jumped-in and made this point about the SQ improvements wrought by going springless.

I agree with a lot of the points made in this thread - and can particularly relate to those LP12 owners who tried a new upgrade (top-plate, whatever) and were so relieved to return to the original.

That said, I would strongly endorse what LLATPOH76 stated above. If you LOVE the sound of your LP12 - ANY level or configuration - it will sound even better with silicone mushrooms installed for suspension duties.

There are fundamental design issues in the LP12 that are (almost) completely remedied with the installation of the silicone mushrooms.

It’s cheap and easily installed - and easily reversed - so don’t over-think it.

You just won’t believe how good it sounds!

:sunglasses: :+1:

[…and say goodbye to costly LP12 suspension “tune-ups” FOREVER!]

2 Likes

Gosh, that’s not very encouraging, I’ve just locked in a costly upgrade……

2 Likes