LP12 vs Phonosophie

Legendary cartridge FR1 Mk3!

I also wanted a Aro/Pink Link back in the day :slight_smile:

4 Likes

So much losging for an aro
Missed one Last year on … bay
Only warnt one in Perfect condition.

1 Like

You will get one I am sure. It is well worth the wait. One of Naim’ best products, like the NAT01, beautiful delicate mid range and sings with open cartridges. Not as dynamic such as Ekos, but more fine in details and beautiful sounding.

2 Likes

I think Colin at WYSAH has one, including all the bits.

1 Like

I bought one from him last week, so - unless he had two - you will need to look elsewhere.

I say ‘bought’ optimistically, as I have been waiting in all day for it to be delivered, but nothing so far.

3 Likes

Many congratulations a fine tonearm! @Richard.Dane had one on his Gerrard 401, and when he brought that around to my house (around 12 years ago) we thought it was better than the Phonosophie into my system at the time (552, 300, Passive Isobariks). The Garrard 401/Aro was more meaty and drive, the Phonosophe/Aro was delicate.

2 Likes

Hi - please translate, what is WYSAH :slight_smile:
Edit: too bad - I am only second :slight_smile:

As mentioned already - so happy, that my old friend P3 gets international attention here :slight_smile:

Benz wood SL is my cartridge - works very good with the prefix.
Now I want an aro badly :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Type into Google

Colin wysah

It will be pretty clear I think

1 Like

My first turntable was a Xerxes. I auditioned it alongside the LP12 at the Sound Organisation in Southwark in 1988. I preferred the Linn, but I feared its reputation for needing regular TLC and figured I’d be more than happy with the Roksan.

Big, expensive mistake right out of the gate. Six months later I traded the Roksan for a Linn, and, as of next month, I’ll have had it for 35 years.

5 Likes

It was better than the Linn imho but I think the Linn moved towards the Xerxes over time. It is now clean and dynamic in its presentation to the point that I am more than happy to own one. The Xerxes was wonderful and only went because of poor support when problems emerged.

1 Like

A few years ago, a Roksan fan suggested I audition the most recent iteration, believing that I would like it so much that I would be tempted to switch horses again. I have no interest in investigating alternatives at this stage, but a comparison of the latest and greatest from Roksan and Linn would certainly be an interesting exercise.

1 Like

Hi all,

I have a you tube video of the Kempinski audio show (late 90s or early 2000) with a Nouvelle Platine Verdier, with an Aro, Prefix and an Ortofon SPU Royal N into a top Naim system. Even on You tube the sound is sublime. @Richard.Dane and I were in the Naim listening room and he recommended the Ortofon SPU Royal N to me which I loved and enjoyed on my Aro for 10 years.

If I were to investage alternatives to the Linn, I would put the Verdier up there too, I’ll try and post a picture up soon.

5 Likes

Fwiw Imo aro ver 1 just does everything just nice, not over detailed, not over warm etc peeerfect in every aspect.

2 Likes

Hi all

I can confirm that Winchester HiFi do stock the Phonoshophie I was looking at one just the other day. They are very knowledgeable about on the deck I purchased all my Naim gear from them well all my equipment and can highly recommend them I have been using them for last 10 years.

6 Likes

That’s amazing, thank you for posting. You’d never think they were still making decks from their website!

1 Like

How have I missed this then. For the uninitiated is this a Naim collaboration? Who manufactures it?

I know nothing about this product

Many years ago Phonosophie were the distributors for Naim in Germany. They offered a modified Thorens turntable, one version of which was fitted with a Naim Aro Tonearm, Naim Prefix and a Naim power supply based on a modified NAP140 (DC motor). This version was famously used By Julian Vereker to replace his LP12 Armageddon. There was a nice review of the Naimed Phonosophie P3 in Hifi World - worth a read if you can find a copy.

2 Likes

As written above …
This is from the end of 80s I think, where phonosophie was the German naim distributor and had helped a lot in starting the „naim boom“ (my opinion)
Back at the days phonosophie had a collaboration with Thorens (German TT manufacturer) and the developed together their top model 2001. from this 2001 phonosophie made their own top model (modified the 2001). This became phonosophie no3.
As their good relations to naim a special power supply was made by naim (official naim product) - like the Armageddon from linn.

Richard was faster :rofl:

1 Like

Please look for the copy of the review !
Only aro missing at mine for the JV version :slight_smile:

I found something here - there has also been p3 attention here lately
Forum

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.