Luxman

Listened to the top of the range Accuphase cd/ system at The Audio Room Hull a couple of weeks back …just stunning !
On the back of that have ordered the Accuphase DP 450 and E 380 integrated amp. ….can’t wait for the New Year !…fancied a change from the Nova I still prefer the more “hands on “ involvement of cd ,but we are all different….still keeping the Core for streaming to the Muso units so not leaving the fold altogether.
Steve

4 Likes

Yes a few Naim guys have gone over to Accuphase and they sound every bit as good as the build quality. I think Tony Miller changed over to that Accuphase amp for his previous active DBL,s, now passive and he has not looked back. Enjoy when they arrive.

When I had the ProAc C8s, I replaced the previous top Gryphon pre & Mephisto stereo (reliability issues) with the then top Accuphase Pre & A250 monos. Compared to the Naim Statement, The Accuphase was just too neutral & to me, bland. Big contrast against the Gryphon which was rich & thick & sweet vs the Naim strong, muscular & fast. The Statement won easily and I regretted letting go of the Gryphon.

As mentioned, I booked a Luxman M-10X because my speakers are now Focal Stellas & I heard that Luxman handles Focals in Japan. A bit curious but it is a 6 months wait

I’m actually hanging on until the matching Luxman preamp is released. The 10X CD player/DAC and power amp have been around a while. But supply chain issues have kept the 10X pre from being released so far.

I had planned on going to a 500 system next year or possibly the year after. But the Naim price increases and the fact that the new classic range appearing in Q1 '23 will follow the Uniti aesthetic means I can’t really go in that direction. So many UK designs these days are going for modern brutalism. I really struggle with it. Sound quality is most important but the gear has to look good or neutral, not actually bad. My current second system based on entry level Luxman is so nice to touch and use. Luxman would be top of my list to consider the next step from the main Naim system.

6 Likes

Luxman M-10x Power Amplifier:

Attention to detail and beautiful workmanship imo. Will have to listen one day.

11 Likes

The PCBs are traced by hand and like Naim the power amp is regulated.

2 Likes

It’s not only with their higher end pre and power amps. The integrateds also show good attention to detail. The innards look very neat and packed to the brim.

5 Likes

I do not personally have an experience of Luxman players, but I do own a CDS3 and PS555DR and CD played on players of this quality, to my ears sound wonderful. I do feel that CD’s are given a rough ride, particularly by those into streaming or vinyl, ultimately, the only true source is reel to reel, master recordings are tinkered no end to ensure vinyl playback issues are avoided. The ‘warm sound’ is a form of distortion, nothing wrong with this and I also like a warmer sound but it is not this ‘pure’ sound true to the master that is constantly mentioned. One thing that is really important with CD’s particularly on better systems is the mastering, there is no doubt that CD’s mastered from about 93 onwards are often far too loud and have the Dynamic Range crushed, this results in a very fatiguing sound, good if you listen in the car or on a crappy system but not on a good system. Seeking out older releases, even mainstream Pop / Rock has taken my CD Playback to a whole new level, the Dynamic Range Database is a fantastic free resource to research various releases and their range/mastering. In error I loaded a rock CD which was mastered in 2000, I have a 1988 version but picked this up by mistake. Without realising, I started to listen and was instantly thinking something wasn’t right with my system, everything was plain harsh to listen to. I know there is an awful lot around vinyl pressings and getting the right one but this is most definitely equaling as important with CD’s, I have nearly 2000 and spent the past couple of years working my back back to earlier releases and moving out versions from later 90’s & 00’s. Interesting to see that some of the more recent releases or remasters seem to retaining a much better DR so maybe we are finally getting somewhere! On the subject of the PS555DR, my CDS3 has somehow just jumped another level again

9 Likes

Why does every single thread about CDs get bombed by the vinyl nazis.

6 Likes

Stream them for a larf

1 Like

Sorry Gazza it just p**es me off, the TT threads doesn’t get people criticising their choice of playback. I almost think they’re trying to justify the choice by continually banging on about much better their their turntable is.

Well that’s my rant for the day might go and hide in my studio. :grin:

6 Likes

Totally with you……some nice views from your studio, hopefully will inspire some painting.

1 Like

“I almost think they’re trying to justify the choice by continually banging on about how much better their turntable is.”

This is very often the case. Insecurity.

1 Like

What does that mean? You mean etched by hand?

Close. They use a process that forms PCB like boards with very thick (deep) rails. The rail pattern is printed onto a film. That’s laid onto a conductive layer and traced by hand to cut out the non conducting portion. Then what is left is affixed to the supporting plastic board. The final result is something that looks PCBish but the board itself was never printed directly. The purpose being to form rails of depth and of selected metals not available in an automated PCB fabricator.

4 Likes

Thanks for the details. Interesting :+1:

Has something been deleted? Otherwise it seems a bit of an odd comment. After a two week gap someone praises CDs and their CDS3 and then you refer to ‘vinyl nazis’, which is over the top in any case.

1 Like

I am sure it was a joke. We are not obliged to understand the term in its first meaning, which of course is horrible. It’s more 2d or 3d degree. At least in France it’s frequently used in the humour area.

Absolutely @broomy. I would say it’s almost the most important aspect regarding replay and enjoying the album/artist.

As far back as 10 years ago when I started buying CDs again in quantity, I couldn’t believe the quality of the recordings for Artists such as Elton John and Dire Straits amongst many others for their earlier albums. CDs released around the 80’s just seem to sound fantastic.

Also, genres such as Classical, Blues and Jazz seem to care more about their recording quality/mastering and almost all the albums I have here sound extremely good. Quite often outstanding.

I love buying older CD releases (try to get as mint as possible) and go through a gentle cleaning process before ripping or playing. Many I have look ‘as new’ and it gives me great satisfaction. It’s like a treasure hunt :joy:

Art Farmer - Gentle Eyes just landed. Sony 1991 Mainstream Records release. Just finished cleaning and it’s as good as new :grin:

I just know it will sound amazing once played.

Oh, nice playback machine/setup you have there. :heart_hands:

Enjoy :dvd: :notes:

2 Likes

Deleted, please remove.

2 Likes