Luxman

Audio is kind of similar. The difference between 16/44 and hi res is gigantic beyond belief on a Walkman. Cheap DACs have a lot less work to do with hi bitrates. But between 16/44 and hi res on an ND555 (for example), yes it is different. But not like Grand Canyon different.

As I wrote in another thread a friend spent weeks comparing the Luxman, Bartok, Mola Mola Tambaqui and Denafrips Terminator plus via a Melco and couple of other streamers.

It came down to the DC10 and Tambaqui. The Grim MU1 made the difference with its AES output, worked superbly with the Tambaqui; but at a much higher combined cost.

I was pulling for the DC10. I loved the 590 he used to own, Superb integrated that made the most of any music fed into it. The 700 pre/power wasn’t in the same ballpark to my ear. The 900s, which he moved to, are superb but I miss the 590 magic, shame they have stopped doing class A, although for understandable reasons.

Looking forward to your reports.

1 Like

And very good they are too :wink:

1 Like

Have you made a direct comparison ?

1 Like

This picture was taken a few moments ago. Anyone spot the obvious issue? :pensive: :cry:

1 Like

There seems to be a marked lack of a cd player?

1 Like

Possibly due to a marked lack of (unoccupied).shelves?

Isn’t the top unit his Burmester CD player?

The Luxman is now MIA.

Reason unknown…problem @MrDom ?

You dropped it? You instantly hated it? The suspense is killing us. It doesn’t fit on a standard 40cm deep rack? (because most high end Japanese gear doesn’t)

1 Like

It’s easy to forget dimensions. We ordered a fridge freezer. What I forgot was the freezer is taller than a standard UK door aperture, which presents a challenge when your kitchen door is opposite stair rails on the first floor. 3 of us squeezed it in…

Sorry chaps, I couldn’t resist having some fun after a not too productive morning.

So, after all the hard work yesterday, changing the system and cleaning everything and making sure the set up was okay. I left well alone until this morning so the object would be fully acclimatised.

I switch the Luxman on and a dreaded humming started. I initially thought it was my power amplifier and its transformer, and maybe an issue with the earthing of the Luxman.

So I started changing cables and socket entry points, but the problem remained and my heart started to sink.

Oh, by the way for context, all my devices are pretty much silent when powered on. I’ve never had an issue at home with any humming. Even when I had a Naim SuperNait 2 this ran PRETTYMUCH silent.

Three different sources have been connected to my Burmester system over the last three years and all run silently, so I was really starting to get frustrated and very disappointed.

I then started to do a little more cleaning around the devices before pulling the Luxman out. I then noticed that the Luxman itself was humming, not my power amplifier.

So I decided to power all the equipment down, placed the luxman on the kitchen worktop by itself, plugged the Luxman into a spare socket. No other cables were plugged into the Luxman. Now I switched it on, and guess what? humming, and quite loud too.

So it’s going back to the dealer and at this moment in time, I’m not sure what to do.

2 Likes

Oh dear……what a shame.

1 Like

Of streaming vs CD? I haven’t compared the two directly in the same system back to back, let alone blind, and if I had it would have been one CD player with its integral DAC against a completely different DAC, so any difference would more likely to be the difference in DAC than anything else… streaming from a locally stored file takes the file and sends it as a stream of digital data to the DAC. In contrast, CD has the digital file encoded and presented as reflective or non reflective points on a spinning disk, which is read in real time, a process that is prone to errors caused by disk imperfections, dust/dirt, fingermarks, play in the mechanism, to cope with which there is a buffer and an error correction algorithm to invent what is missed by making certain presumptions. Thereafter the stream of digital data is sent to the DAC just like in streaming. The error correction process may be accurate, especially if any data errors are small, but may not be. This is why streaming from a locally held file may sound better than CD - all else being equal perfect CD reading, or perfect error correction, would simply mean they would sound the same. Streaming has the potential to sound better as higher resolution data can be used. This all is on the basis that the rest of the process os identical, but of course a different DAC and possibly other associated things like power supplies mean that often like is not compared with like, and model X CD player may sound better than model Y streamer setup.

Perhaps the D10X will come back with an Ethernet port amongst its socketry

1 Like

:joy:

I would urge you to be patient with the CD player, it simply could be a case of giving it 4-5 days for the internal electrics/trafo to settle :+1:t3: Good luck Peter

1 Like

Thanks @PeterR , but surely it shouldn’t make the humming noise so loud?
Easy to hear from 5 meters away. Couldn’t stop hearing it after that. I was especially surprised when plugged in all by itself and made the humming as soon as brought out of standby.
All my other devices are practically silent. I’m very disappointed to say the least and the Luxman tech department at the UK distributor confirmed today that it should run silent.
One thing that I’m not too pleased about is that it has a 2 pin entry socket for the mains connector, not 3 with the earth that we are used to in the UK.
All my other main hifi components all have the 3pin entry so assume they are fully grounded to earth.
Anyway, I’m not an electrical engineer but I wish it was grounded as my Burmester items are. :pensive:
It’s booked for return next Monday.

3 Likes

I get some hum from mine, you can hear it about a foot away. It’s from the transformer as it is mostly on the side where the cd tray is and the transformer is directly behind that. I’d be interested in what your dealer has to say.

2 Likes

Having a bit of post-op time on my hands, I’ve had a quick look at some reviews and photos of the Luxman.

No-one has complained or experienced hum let alone intrusive hum.

Most photos* of the D10x show it with 2pin mains apart from the What Hifi review of October 2020, which shows a 3pin mains input.

*All appear to be “stock” photos.

I would assume from this that (a) it should not hum at all and (b) very likely it will come with a 2 pin mains input.

Hopefully, Mr Dom will receive a new unit, and not something "repaired ". Over to the dealer…

1 Like

Thanks for doing some investigating :+1:
There are examples of actual units if you search and look s little deeper and there are many with 3 pins.
I think you are correct though and they are now coming with 2 pins.
Distributer is going to check it electrically to see if they can see a problem/simple fix. If not I believe it will go back to Japan.
I’m pretty certain I do not want a repaired unit and surely I am within my rights for a brand new replacement?
Slightly worried about this at the moment.