Lyra SPT

I have no idea if that’s a question for me.

If so, definitely not. I scrape only the stylus. Why would anyone use glasspaper (however fine) on a cantilever?

It was directed at you, yes. It should have appeared in the list of replies in your avatar.

I had the procedure for using Linn green paper explained to me by a Linn rep many years ago. He said to fold it in half and run the fold so created along either side of the stylus. In this method there is the risk of ridge itself rubbing on the cantilever. I cannot see how to mitigate the risk other than by not using it.

Not really. Set the thing vibrating, put it on the platter, lower the cartridge down with the arm lift. Pad is about 10mm across so enough to aim at.

I stopped using the green paper decades ago. It just seems an unecessary risk to me. My stylii stay clean without it.

Green paper removes microscopic dirt stuck to the stylus tip. Unless you are using powerful magnification you wont see what it removes.

How should you use it though? Drag the stylus over it whilst the paper is flat? And thus probably the cantilever damage risk is minimised. Or by trying to wipe the sides of the stylus, as appears to be recommended above, and as this diagram suggests, which definitely raises the risk of cantilever damage unless one is pretty careful? I wouldn’t trust myself to run the paper as close as this picture without occasionally catching the cantilever itself?

I put the glasspaper behind the stylus and pull it forward towards me.

I have done this for ten years or more, and never come close to damaging any part of the cartridge.

2 Likes

I’m sure my stylus cleaner works well enough, and when I use the Flux HIFI cleaner I’ll bet that removes all those microscopic particles. I’m not convinced particles that can only be seen with “powerful magniifcation” will make a difference anyway.

I have plenty of green paper, but it’s sat in storage unused for a long time. I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Hi
Yes it still smarts :face_with_diagonal_mouth:
especially as that particular paragraph was added “after” it did this damage to my Krystal and no one accepted responsibility beforehand :face_with_head_bandage:

I’ll bet it does :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Given Lyra’s “completely safe” declaration as posted by Rooster would Lyra not have recompensed you? I’m aware that Linn washed their hands - presumably not in SPT!

Oh yes
Linn Goldring and Lyra washed their hands thank you very much
Hey ho you move on it’s only hi Fi :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

On the advice of the cartridge manufacturer, Lyra SPT can be used, as directed in the instructions, on Linn cartridges with solid boron cantilevers. It should not be used on any other Linn cartridges. Please contact your Linn retailer for further advice.”
[/quote]
This paragraph was the one added after some Krystal’s were destroyed
Mine wasn’t the only one sadly

I saw what happened to yours before I bought my Krystal so I never use fluid like I did on the DV10X5.

1 Like

Wish I’d not chosen the Krystal.

1 Like

Not happy with it?

Not really to be honest.

Probably should have gone for a Dynavector instead.

It’s (Krystal) a lovely cartridge , but I just think I’d have been better off with a similarly priced Dynavector due to system balance/synergies as it sounds too bright with too much surface noise which I think is due to the aluminium cantilever.

1 Like

Dynavectors are so easy to get along with. I’ve had 20x2 HOMC many years ago. Now I have XV-1s. They are a joy to listen to.

I am making a a bit of a leap of faith going to a Lyra, but if I don’t get along with it for some reason I can sell it on again. However, someone in the music production business I know and respect uses one to evaluate test pressings, and we like the same music, so I feel confident about making the switch.

1 Like

If you want rid of surface noise the Karousel does just that! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Unfortunately I have one!

1 Like

I had two Krystal’s with hundreds between the serial numbers and both were faulty.
My dealer pointed out the first fault when installed.
If you want the Kandid signature without huge expense “ in first world terms “ I’d recommend Lyra Delos.
Especially with hindsight.
Hope this helps :thinking: :+1:t2:

2 Likes