Best stylus cleaner

So is the DS Audio ST-50 safe to use? Thatā€™s what I have.

Make sense absolutely, thanks. I have been wondering about it for a long time as to why Linn recommended it.

I donā€™t know for sure either way. I have had one for years. I use it sparingly to help dislodge fibers stuck to the stylus, but for not otherwise. I follow up with the brush and wet clean.

My routine is to use the Lyra SPT wet cleaner with Lyra provided soft brush at the beginning of a listening session. After each side I use the Lyra provided dry brush on the stylus.

1 Like

It works and has no negative effects if used properly. Costs almost nothing. (Some might find this recommendation controversial).

This photograph illustrates precisely why I donā€™t use Linn green abrasive paper - that is the risk of the abrasive edge of the paper rubbing on the cantilever. Iā€™ll stick with AT617a gel and an AT637.

1 Like

There were a few posts about the usage of the green paper in this thread

Probably above the post I link too. Worth a read if anyone needs another branch of the rabbit hole to explore :slight_smile:

One of these:

12 Likes

Ko, ko, ko.

3 Likes

I havenā€™t used anything other than Linn cartridges since the Troika was issued and replaced my Supex. Since then Iā€™ve followed Linnā€™s guidelines for cleaning their styli. What other manufacturers recommend for their cartridges is of no concern to me but if I had some other make of cartridge Iā€™d follow their guidance. What makes me smile is folk arguing that Linn donā€™t know how to clean their cartridges. Linn offer specific guidance. Anything else is where the risk lies. The guidance is quite simple:

ā€œWe recommend using Linn ā€˜green stylus paperā€™ to clean the stylus. Cut a strip of green paper approximately 20mm x 40mm in size. Support the strip at one end only. Applying minimal force, draw it gently in the direction a record would be played (from back towards front) across the stylus tip, taking care to avoid touching any other areas of the cartridge. This method will clean and polish the stylus tipā€.

Iā€™ve never worn a Linn stylus out. Iā€™ve never destroyed records using Linn cartridges. Let the music play.

1 Like

I remember being in chemistry at school and the teacher borrowed another teacherā€™s diamond engagement ring. He went on to make some lovely scratch marks on some glass with it.

Obviously the ring was quite undamaged.

1 Like

I just bought a 2nd AT637 - for my partner, to use with her (new to her) Rega P3-24ā€¦ :smiley:

I thought the 637 is out of stock for yearsā€¦ Mine is a bit weak and the pad a bit hard

1 Like

So the green paper is a bad idea then. How often do people clean using green paper. It is an abrasive so canā€™t be good for a stylus.
I also have these two brushes as well

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had that little round AT brush for over 40 years. :+1:t2:

ā€¦but friction with vinyl does cause diamond to wear

My dealer gave them both to me when I did my first upgrades in 2002. Cirkus plus Adikt, then I just could not stop ā€¦:joy:

1 Like

As per @Guinnless replay the green paper is excellent at removing the vinyl gunk that bonds to your stylus.

About 4 months ago I thought I needed a new stylus as I was hearing distortion on certain tracks.

I also realize that my Kyrstal cartridge was a lot tougher as I had to be quite rough with the green paper but it fully restored it back to full health.

So, I use a carbon fibre brush and green paper but both sparingly.

2 Likes

I use green paper to clean the stylus before playing each LP side. I have been doing this for over five years, and have caused no damage to the stylus of any of my cartridges.

3 Likes

What microscope do you use to examine your cartridges for stylus wear? I recently bought a Dino-Lite AM3113 USB microscope (for $250) but have yet to set it up.

No microscope, my dealer looks at it when looking at the rest of the deck