Mac mini

That’s nice to hear. iPadOS 15 has scribble changes…

1 Like

That’s the other thing - I’m still on iOS 12 as I disliked the smaller icons on iPadOS 13 when I upgraded my son’s iPad! Really need to bite the bullet.

1 Like

‘scribble changes’ - is this Apple adopting an idea a 3rd party app brought to the platform - they often seem to do that.

I don’t use it so can’t speak to it. I know you can write with the iPen (2?) and it converts to text…

1 Like

In general I don’t think items can be offered for sale here, but I’d ask in Padded Cell if you think a deal you’re considering is oo good to be true, just don’t link to it I suspect.

1 Like

I’ve got a 2011 iMac 27", and last year I replaced the spinning HDD with an SDD, which gave it a new life. It wont run the the latest OS, and is starting to slow down, but it does still run my CS6 Photoshop which I love. (Affinity Photo seems to be a goodish equivalent that I run on my M1 MBA). Also my wife leaves her job in January which gives us 10% apple discount, so do I jump?

Really not sure which way to go. I hate the though of my lovely 27" iMac screen having no use. The idea of a Mini with a separate screen makes some sense, but more expensive than an iMac. The other problem is that the iMac now is only 24", so it will feel like paying out a lot of money, for not much gain.

Not sure why I am waffling on here, as I guess it’s only me that can decide in the end, but sometimes others may think of something I haven’t.

One of the reasons for looking at the Mac mini as it has 8 cores as opposed to 7 cores in the basic Imac giving better performance plus I have Diabetic eyesight problems so I can get a Mac mini plus a good 27/28 inch screen for around the same price of the new Imac 24inch and a far bit less than going to a 27inch Imac.

1 Like

You can set the screen icon size in setting not sure on which IOS this started on.

1 Like

Could a MacMini use your iMac screen? Perhaps that functionality stopped years ago?

Yes it probably could, but not directly. So you would effectively be powering up two devices.

@pcd were you looking at Apple 27" screens, or something else. If else, what are you looking at?

1 Like

Apple use to sell LG screens to use with the Mac mini but they no longer sell these so I as looking at something like Dell, HP, Samsung etc etc but there seems to be a bewildering array of 27/28 inch screens just trying to pin the most suitable one down.

Certainly worth pursuing that idea - thanks

The * HUAWEI MateView looks quite promising ?

You can run a Mac mini w/o screen and see and manage the Mac mini from your iMac w/o problems. In your Mac mini go to system preferences/sharing/share screen, then from your iMac go in finder to network, select the Mac mini, click Share Screen. It’ll ask for the user and password for the Mac mini, and you are done. Use the mouse and keyboard of your iMac to manage the Mac mini (and also your iMac)

2 Likes

That what we do. I think both computers may need to be on the same Apple ID login (not 100% sure about that). We have the fall back that the Mini is also connected to the TV, so we can use that to troubleshoot any connectivity issues. These issues are rare, but frustrating when they occur.

We don’t “stream” as such but play the music from the mini (using iTunes) directly via SPDIF optical to our SN1.

Interesting, so that works out about £1700 (16GB, 1TB plus 10% discount) for Mini, as opposed to £1850 for iMac equiv. I will hopefully be able to use my old mouse/keyboard on the mini. Food for thought indeed.

Thanks @Dambo I do that already from my MBA to iMac - works quite well, but still needs two devices up and running using power. If only you could open up the back of the iMac 27" and pull out an HDMI cable.

1 Like

I’ve booted my 2012 Mini from Samsung USB 3.0 SSDs for some years - amazing speed boost, suspect it would be even better if I stuck one inside!

It’s also one reason I won’t spend premium Apple prices for large SSDs - 512MB would probably be the sweet spot for me and boot from a larger cheaper external SSD if I needed to. Had over 16TB hard drive storage on my old Mac Pro which was very nice.

Possibly, but I do still get the spinning disk for what seems like no reason - especially when first awoken. It probably ideally needs a rebuild as its has all sorts of rubbish in the past, just can’t bring myself to do that yet

[quote="pcd, post:32, topic:19989"]

Apple use to sell LG screens to use with the Mac mini but they no longer sell these
[/quote]
Yeah they do here in the USA Apple Stores anyway…

I bought a nice Dell monitor for my Mac Pro maybe 5 years ago - excellent, I’m sure even better monitors available now from many manufacturers - reviews on Amazon might be worth a look when considering alternatives.

The current (for how long?) Intel Minis I think allow 3 monitors vs 2 on the M1 Minis.