Mac mini

So how do I connect the mini Mac to the Nova? I connect the iPad by plugging the usb-c VGA multiport adapter into the iPadi with one side of the multiport charging and the other side into the ToppingD10s. From the Topping S/PDIF out (RCA) into the Nova BNC. What do I do to connect the Mini? Through the Topping also? Here’s the setup with the toping through the iPad.

. (but yes…I wasn’t playing Apple Music at that moment…)

I would try to plug the USB cable that comes with the D10s directly into the Mac Mini. Then from D10s coax out into the Nova.
And double check in the settings of the Mini that sound is output via the D10s.

1 Like

Ah! You were correct! Great. I tried with the VGA inserted in the chain. It’s needed with the iPad. So I have the camera adapter for the iPad to connect, the VGA for the iPad and now can connect the Mac. Very nice. The advantage to the iPad among the options is it’s a nice screen for the music especially as the Nova screen doesn’t display artwork when wired to Apple Music (drag!). Now I need a system to manage the Apple music I’ve converted. With over 1400 albums downloaded that’s a chore.

I reccomend Roon to manage your downloaded albums. I run it on a mac mini and serve to a Nova over my home network. Can also be acccessed using ipad app. I love it. No integration with Apple music though for streaming (only Tidal and Quobuz)

2 Likes

I do the same to my Atom. 2010 core 2 Mac Mini.
Works a treat with Roon. It’s an old Mac so don’t use too much (if any) DSP. With a new M1 you could use all the DSP you wanted and it wouldn’t even notice. More than enough power for anything you like.
Alternatively, if you don’t want to use network capable software, grab a usb to SPDIF converter and go from M1 usb to Nova SPDIF in.

1 Like

One would lose all that beautiful album art on the Nova screen though. :frowning_face:

1 Like

The Topping D10s is essentially that (a usb-spdif converter) I believe when feeding digital in.

That truly is a factor, part of the aesthetic.

Waffling is fine. One option is to use the old iMac as a second monitor, you just need to check that the model you have allows you to do that, as the newer ones can’t be used as monitors. I have such a set up and it works nicely - a 4K Mac as the main machine and the older Mac (retrofitted with a SSD) as a second screen - both 27’ to boot.

Hi Mike, thanks, I have considered that, but to be honest I don’t really have a need (or space) for a second screen for what I do, but if I did, being of older technology, it may look a bit weird next to a modern screen of much better quality. I think Mac mini will be the way I eventually go next with either a separate new new 27" screen, or use the iMac screen with. a cable to the Mini in the interim.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.