Madness? Trade in TT2 for NDX2

I enjoyed the ND5XS2 with firstly a Hugo2, then the H2 with a MSclaer, and then a TT2 (bare) for a long time. It replaced a Linn Majik DS/2 (with PS upgrade) which was a good device, but a generation old in terms of usability & features.

It was a shame I had to sell most of my system 12-15 months ago, but fortunately I have been able to start rebuilding (I have had music throughout, the main thing actually) - with more knowledge this time from personal experience, from interactions with professional dealers & distributors and from this forum.

1 Like

Well if you are prepared to pay what £5k just for the streaming board and a screen, that might freeze from time to time lol then i would certainly try a dCS network bridge, much better option in my view, on all things, sound, options, etc, not much it can’t do.
But lots of much cheaper ways to go, but i feel the NDX2 is probably one of the worse ways to spend £5k for what you want from it

The NDX2/TT2 combination was definitely better than NDX2/H2 via headphones.

Using the TT2 as a DAC into other non-Naim pre-amps (or as a pre-amp on it’s own into poweramps), or into the SN3 (integrated) gave excellent quality, sonic range, soundstage.

I did get good results with a Sonore OpticalRendu into the TT2, but I was concerned about the oR’s durability (it runs very hot) and it had to be rebooted if left overnight due to a software/firmware glitch in it’s interaction with the TT2. So it went back, and that opened up the field for a naim streamer again.

I found that the NDX2/TT2 into the 282 / 250DR wasn’t quite right - the combination couldn’t handle complex passages of music very well, although excellent with simpler guitar/vocal music, whereas the Qutest or Hugo2 fed from the NDX2 to 282 was more precise, but not too clinical because of the 282 ‘voicing’.

The NDX2 is a year old, and I assumed it would be ‘burnt in’ on it’s own DAC/analogue circuits, but 3 weeks of continual use (switching between H2 and internal) have ‘opened out’ the NDX2 - this combined with my other changes, including a Supercap2 and improved wifi / interconnect - so not all the same. The NDX2 has always been connected by me with a Powerline, and the Supercap/250DR are on a two-headed Grahams Hydra (pendng change here).

Today, having heard both again in succession, I would say the internal DAC lacks some precision - notable on locally streamed music, less so with FLAC Radio Paradise. Without the available comparison I would probably be content with the NDX2, my other use cases for the Hugo2 are with occasional headphones and I will buy a ‘2Go’ for it once Chord sort it out, and when I have to travel for work again post-lockdown.

CAVEAT: My room, my overall system, my ears (63 y/o)

2 Likes

Yes, Alastair is excellent to deal with.

1 Like

Hi Dunc. Think there seems to be some confusion here. I’m not looking to purchase an NDX2 as just a transport, I would sell the TT2 and Bluesound to fund it. What I’m trying to determine is whether the NDX2 using its internal dac is ‘better’ than my TT2 plus an updated transport such as Auralic Aries G1, the new Arcam ST60 or perhaps an ND5Xs2 (but I wouldn’t have a screen). Hope I’ve been a bit clearer?

I don’t mind the occasional reboot, and I didn’t drop £5k on it, somewhat less and from a reputable dealer & with a years warranty. Probably better than buying one ex-works and hence not run in. No screen freeezes so far, despite lots of configuration changes. If I were in for £12k plus I would have gone for the Bartok so I am not ‘brand-blind’ to Naim. The consistency of proven compatibility is worth a lot after 3 years of multi-brand component solutions.

I had a full TAG McLaren system, including CDT20R/AV32R DP BYP, for a long time before moving into the streaming world, and now full-naim (with still some TMA gear working daily in the kitchen).

I considered the DCS network bridge 18 months ago and was advised by a genine knowledgable dealer (of DcS, Naim, Linn, Auralic etc.) that DcS only produce it to enable existing users of DcS DACs to move forward into streaming updates, without re-investing in say a Bartok or more - which is in keeping with DcS philosopy of upgradeability.

I use multiroom all day when working in my home office & moving around the house - and the NDX2 interacts very well with my Atom and Qb2 - better than the roon streams in fact (true story !). So the much maligned Naim app works very well in this situation, while roon has other functional and UI benefits (less so for me with 1.8, but that’s another thread)

1 Like

If it was me @Maccaboy10 i would keep it simple and get the NDX2 with your required screen and use it both as a transport and dac. I believe the SQ differences vs Chord Dacs may be a matter of taste. You can upgrade down the road with an external PS if you want.

2 Likes

Right, sorry completely miss understood, as for which one is better i dont know

1 Like

In short no. The NDX2 internal DAC is okay but nothing special.

2 Likes

I completely agree with @jsaudio.

I have used NDX2’s spdif output with P S Audio Direct Stream DAc (which is one of the great Dacs today available in the market at its price range).

I won’t say the difference is purely of matter of taste…

Also as I understand, though the streaming platform is same between ND5X2, NDX2 and ND555 the other hardware aspects (power supply, board design, etc) also has impact on the quality of output from streamer of NDX2 and ND5X2. Though the difference may be small.

Regards,
Sourav

1 Like

I think that might be somewhat understating it… sure personal preference comes into it, but the DACs, including reconstruction method, filtering, current to voltage conversion, DSP, DAC architectures, noise mitigation, analogue stages, powersupply regulation, noise shaping, DAC clocking are very different between the two… so sure taste always comes into it, but they are very different in how they perform their tasks … and how they sound and what they focus on.
I own several Chord DACs, and have owned several Naim DACs and currently own the NDX2… on a revealing system, the difference is nearly night and day. Listen to a good recording of Ravel’s Piano Concerto in G Major for example and you will hear what I mean… obviously there are many recordings, but I find dynamic orchestral pieces absolutely show the differences in apparent resolution and digital blur. (Digital bandwidth) between the two… so do audition carefully.

2 Likes

For resolution and clarity, modern dacs like chord or DCS are indeed clearly superior to Naim.
If someone puts this as one of the most important aspect, for sure he will prefer Chord to Naim.

It’s the same for cartridges. Some prefer the sheer dynamic and resolution of Clearaudio cartridges, other will prefer the more laid back but more refined Koetsu.
Perhaps it depends on what kind of music you listen to. For my kind of music, mostly modern and electric jazz, soul, funk…Naim talks much more to my soul than Chord.

1 Like

I think I can see that, whilst certain implementations of Chord DACs resonate more with my emotions and feelings than many Naim TI implementations…

If I want to have a house party (those seem a long time ago at the moment…) … the Naim DACs are great… if I want to be absorbed into a recording or production to the point of dewy eyed, or silly grins… it has to be Chord for me.

2 Likes

I love his concerto, and my wife too. We have several recordings, but I wondered which recording you would recommend for the ultimate audiophile indulgence. And I shall listen to it most carefully on my Chord Hugo 2 through my beloved Sennheiser HD800S…

Apologies to the OP – but my curiosity…

Oh dear, I am not an expert of these recordings … but this is the recording I enjoy

I suspect it will sound superb with your Hugo2 / HD800s… I like the way this recording has depth, and it sounds like you are in the hall, not the orchestra.

Let me know please your favourite recording.

4 Likes

Thanks Simon – I don’t think this one is in our small collection of Ravel recordings, but my wife rather likes Zimerman! These days I pick Yundi Li’s recording with Berlin Phil most of the time – not exactly sure why, as I don’t have the finest ears.

But I do have a soft spot for Berlin Phil. Have you been to their concert hall? I have no doubt you would love the acoustic in that hall – it’s an engineering masterpiece I think! Karajan was a very stubborn man, and he wasn’t prepared to compromise on his vision for the hall… We have to be grateful for that… And this helps to understand why Rattle believes the Barbican is “serviceable” – it’s an awful concert hall compared to Berlin Phil…

1 Like

No I haven’t… but I do have a soft spot for Berlin… in fact it was the last foreign visit we had before Covid lockdowns started just under a year ago…

I don’t listen to classical music, neither to house party. Perhaps you are more involved by the « how » in music, vs the « why » for me. Even if that dichotomy is too much diminutive.
With Naim I feel more the relationships between musicians and what the whole has to say.

Interesting discussion. I always thought Naim spoke to my soul. Then I heard the TT2 do it’s stuff and I can totally relate to @Simon-in-Suffolk comment re: feeling like you’re in the hall rather than the orchestra.

4 Likes

Listening as I write this, thanks for the suggestion. Of course I don’t have a Chord DAC for comparison but sounds wonderful on my ND555.