Madness? Trade in TT2 for NDX2

Maybe that is all you’ll need/want at home - entire music collection on a micro SD card (or cards), no need for network when streaming your own music stored on it, your collection fully portable as well… I have no idea what it sounds like, but I have wondered how 2go/Ugo would perform into Chord’s higher level DACs…

@mikehughescq I sort of agree with @Simon-in-Suffolk. In my system I have found NDX2 to be relatively more engaging and enjoyable for fast/rhythmic music. Where as NDX2 with PS Audio Direct Stream dac is relatively better for vocals, jazz for a relaxed laid back presentation.

I love both depending on my mood.

Regards,
Sourav

5 Likes

Ah yes, a Naim streamer without a Dac; it’s come up twice already in this thread. I’ve brought it up a whack of times on other threads, as have many other members.
But, ah dinna think they’re listening …

I wonder why did you order the external power supply for the NDX2 rather then for your amplifier and/or Pre-Amp.?

Will the PSU improve the NDX2 streaming performances, as you use the Chord Dac.

I recently upgraded an old Naim system and added the SN3 and ND5 XS2. Also adedd Hiline din cable

I currently wonder how to improve the nd5xs2. I just want to improve the DAC

One option would be Hugo Qutest, or TT2 (but I don’t need headphone amp) and @T-elmi mentioned h2/Qutest was better for him.

How is the TT2 dac compare that of Qutest and will its preamp outperform that of SN3?

I was also offred a SH Naim Dac paired with 1 year old 555PSDR (at half price of new one).

There are many threads on this subject. This one is matured. So new (chord) or classic (Ndac + 555psdr)

I don’t think it makes sense for Naim to release a standalone streaming transport, even though I’ve been using an NDX, then NDX2 with an offboard DAC for some time. It would mean carrying a larger range of products, which has costs and causes some confusion. Also the DAC chip itself is a pretty small and inexpensive component, and I’m not sure the cost saving would be significant. In the Naim world lots of people accept the redundancy of a large internal PSU when they add an external one as an upgrade, which I suspect adds considerably more redundancy in terms of cost and use of space than a DAC.

Besides, there needs to be a business case for such a product. Without a standalone DAC in their range, they are offering a product that effectively promotes sales of their competitors DACs.

5 Likes

Hello FR. The more I listen to Chord and consider the clinical/clarity argument, the more I believe that folks are paying a lot of money for murkiness. There is nothing quite like hearing the heart and soul of the artist as they intended to get emotions stirred…to my ears of course.

3 Likes

I already had a HiCap for the 282, and I picked up an older SuperCap2 (2008) in a private purchase for a good price last week and I have put that in the system already. This has given the 282 /252 more grip on the bass. The SC2 will get serviced in due course. I rarely use my turntable, but just playing a few albums showed that the analogue side of my system is where I wanted it to be, and that the NDX2 could be ‘unlocked more’ with a dedicated PS.

I have got the SC2 and ex-demo XPS-DR for an optimal combined price from two different sources - I was going to hold off on the power supplies for a while but these opportunities arose. I couldn’t stretch to a 555DR (have to stop somewhere).

The XPS-DR does, according to tech specs, provide discrete power to the digital side, as well as to the DAC and Analogue side, of the NDX2. Logical really as the mains power is removed from the NDX2.

Dealer advice is that the XPS-DR only makes a small difference when using the digital-out, and also to avoid the non-DR. This approach will enable me to take out the Hugo2 for travelling, and to have a listening alternative just as @smazumder does with his PS Audio Directstream DAC.

Which is why I sold my NDX2. By the sounds of things it could well be @T-elmi who bought my one, if he got it from Signals. Nice synchronicity. I would recommend the Mind 2 which is an excellent transport but, like you, I do miss Airplay for radio/podcasts as an Apple user. I didn’t think I would, but I do. I’ve a demo of the Arcam ST60 coming up so will let you know, if you like.

Yeah I used to get hung up with this on my earlier systems… I have discovered with higher end amplification I can hear and sense a world of difference between clinical and clarity.

Clinical I decided was tight and clear, but with restricted low mid bandwidth… it’s kind of all there but just doesn’t engage… ultimately doesn’t sound real… ergo sterile.

Clarity is the bandwidth is all there with no undue prominences… the engagement is absorbing, you get sucked in and listen into the recording.

Filtered or smooth is there are aspects of the bandwidth, typically higher mids and treble that are relatively filtered. Can lead to an overly euphoric listening experience, but I don’t find engaging… tends to be very disappointing for symphonic / orchestral works.

To me the optimum, is when you listen in, get absorbed and loose track of time, this is natural clarity… what I call the Mandelbrot effect… the more you listen the more the sound unfolds… this is how I listen to live music, I listen and watch a musician and filter into that musician.
Clinical or filtered just don’t do it fir me… I can’t listen in…

It’s interesting as I have found the source is only part of this equation, amplification and room coupling is as important… it’s a total system synergy thing. To have insightful clarity the system synergy is paramount… it’s easier to get clinical or smooth.
I have found a source/amp or amp/speaker mismatch can also result in an overly clinical or filtered unengaging sound.

Now in my experience a ND555 into 552/500 provides clarity that unfolds a few levels and leans to the euphoric.
The Dave into Etude provides clarity that unfolds a few more levels and leans to the insightful.

So you choose your style and how you listen to music. I think some of this difference is down to DAC reconstruction differences which is ultimately a compromised process and the consequences of the difference in digital blur and temporal bandwidths between the two sources.
I also find speaker / amp / room size matching is crucial here… or high end headphones / headphone amp.

6 Likes

The ND5XS2 is a peach as a transport with a DC1 cable out.

(Perhaps reassess the need for a screen.
I love not having a screen.
Less to go wrong.
Less to interfere with SQ.
Less lights winking that I can’t read from 3m away.)

4 Likes

Thank you SiS for that recommendation. A performance I did not know and absolutely superb recording quality which, even on my humble bare NDX2, sounds as if you are in the Hall - probably, based on the discussion here, even more so with a Chord.

1 Like

Glad you enjoyed it… after all its recordings like that I guess is one the reasons we are here :grinning:

I have to say, that having had a screen on the Nova, I now find it difficult to live without one. One reason (but not the only one as that would be silly) that I went for the NDX2 rather than the ND5XS2.

2 Likes

We have just different tastes…
Enjoy :+1:

1 Like

Plumtree’s Potted Meat.
Without it, my life is incomplete.

:grin:

“What is home without Plumtree’s Potted Meat? Incomplete.”

― James Joyce, Ulysses

I agree, I really love the colour screen on the NDX2… it always on when streaming… although only an approx visual cue from my listening position, I can see and recognise albums, tracks, great for my compilations and playlists… I don’t like to listen wanting to otherwise reference my iPad all the time.

2 Likes

Almost certainly it is the same NDX2 - did you use it throughout with an external DAC ?

The support from Signals, and other interested dealers such as The Audiobarn, is a key part of the ‘eco-system’ which extends beyond just ‘price-matching’.

I honestly think that the ND5XS2 reflects much better value than the NDX2 - the market ‘speaks’ in that there are increasing numbers (E.g. Audio-T, the auction site) of ex-demo NDX2’s priced at £4k, yet the infrequently-seen ND5XS2 doesn’t last long at £1,700-£1,800. The NDX2 RRP shows it is a bit of a ‘halo product’ as it does not reflect the component cost / software cost when you consider the Uniti range already have the non-touch screen (a $10 component) and remote control software, the streaming board is shared across the range, etc. @dunc 's counter-points do have some validity.

I still decided though to go with it for reasons I have already given - it IS a great product.

As @JimDog and @Simon-in-Suffolk have mentioned in various posts the DC-1 cable is a good add-on - I have just replaced a TQ Waveform Black - which is no slouch itself.