Mains Blocks and Mains extensions

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks

Glad to help. :+1:t2:

Seeing as everyone else is sharing power blocks they builtā€¦ hereā€™s mine I built earlier in the year. I was thinking of buying a Puritan Purist block but thought that before I spend Ā£600 Iā€™d see if I could hear the difference of star wiring.

Bought a bare Olson block and MK Logic Plus unswitched sockets and star wired it with 4mm cable. Cost less than Ā£100 (minus the Furutech plug which I ended up using elsewhere). It was quite a surprise, everything sounded more cohesive and ā€œaliveā€, nice that plug order made no difference too.

I later swapped a couple of the sockets for Furutech ones, a rhodium NCF and a gold, to try them out with various cables.

To be honest the MK sockets seem to grip the plugs just as well as the Furutech, the NCF works, although I felt that an NCF plug in an NCF socket wasnā€™t a big enough difference for the extra cost, ymmv.

Overall a very worthwhile experiment, I can hear the difference star wiring makes, which surprised me :slightly_smiling_face:
Iā€™m not using this currently, everything is in wall sockets, but will be trying out the Puritan PSM156 in the new year.

7 Likes

Iā€™ll be interested to see your impressions as these have caught my eye as well. Anyone else using the Puritan PSM156?

1 Like

Thereā€™s a few people here using them. The 12 socket version was being used on a large non-Naim system at the UK Audio Show, certainly no shortage of dynamics (which I know will be brought up :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:). This was on the Audio Consultants stand, had a good chat with them about it, they highly rate it and the Puritan cables (along with Gutwire), said they have several happy customers with large Naim systems. More than happy to do a trial, although they sell versions with Furutech sockets.

2 Likes

Need to get a blank on that unused one to stop the noise getting in and the music power falling out. :wink: :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Thanks

This should fix it. A bargain at Ā£550.

1 Like

I did have at one time.

DGā€¦

1 Like

Or a Hydra! :wink:

Hi again @Gazkilroy ā€¦ whats the news about your mains extension ?
Are you buying a ready made or going the DIY route

Me too. :smiley:

NOT to encourage too much neurosis but I have found (possibly under specific circumstances and with specific double sockets) that one socket sounds better than the other.
Inevitably - in my case it was the other socket.

I noticed this on a manky original fitment in an old cottage. The mains came up to screw terminals for one socket then strapped across to the other. The first point of connection was preferred to a surprising degree. Probably less of an issue with decent and recent MK and Crabtree designs.

5 Likes

I mentioned all this ages ago and got barraged with argument so decided to let it be.
Worst side and all that.
Sometimes questions are asked just to start a browbeat. :roll_eyes:

For some time now the MK Logic sockets have been manufactured in Malaysia and Iā€™ve found them to be pretty awful. Iā€™ve had to return some with manufacturing defects, and now avoid them. Perhaps single sockets would be better.

3 Likes

the music power falling out!hahahaha

1 Like

Yes! With a single socket, at least you donā€™t have to choose which sounds best! Just which mains block sounds best or whether to use a hydra etc etc. The possibilities for neuroses never end. What a hobby :crazy_face: