Mains circuit

First, apologies, I’ve looked and looked but …can’t find the post which has a diagram of a suggested (recommended?) way of making a dedicated mains supply for the hifi…
Can I be pointed in the right direction please (I’ll then save the link!).
Many thanks.

1 Like

Whoa @IanRobertM, I looked, I know search still works thank you, and I know it’s not difficult…I must have not used the correct search terms/words…
Thank you for the link/reference, but please lay off the sarcasm.

Very good. As I said, I looked (a lot) but couldn’t find the post I was thinking of. But thank you again for pointing me in the direction of ‘search’

Removed it I think rather than updated it.

Hope this helps. UK version.

DG…

2 Likes

Cheers, @DiggyGun

Or you can use a dedicated ring for your hifi which can offer benefits over dedicated radials, if you have multiple hifi appliances (ie separates) on the mains supply, the ring supply including earth will generally have a lower impedance than a radial, albeit you won’t have a dedicated breaker for each hifi component on the CU that you would get as if you had multiple radials, one for each item.
Radials are good for a dedicated circuit for a single appliance, not best for multiple appliances shared on that radial in terms of mains noise and power distribution… here a dedicated ring is preferable.

4 Likes

Thank you Simon, I think a ring circuit is probably what I would get installed in any case.
As part of that work I need to get the ‘front end’/incoming portion of my supply sorted out, it’s a (x rated) horrible mess.

1 Like

I like the addition of the doorbell :grinning:
It looks like your CU has one spare slot left for you… perfect :wink:

That’s actually relatively modern and tidy compared to some I’ve seen, reflecting the updated metering installation! – although (and I suspect you know this) you appear to have only 4 active gangs in the CU, as most modern installations in (say) a standard 2 floor house would have several more e.g. dedicated breakers on Upstairs mains ring, Downstairs mains ring, 2 x light circuits similarly, dedicated circuit for the kitchen ring, perhaps specific circuits for an electric shower and/or electric oven.

Robbo I suggest you find historic posts from DarkBear on the topic. His reasoning and experience on a dedicated ring make sense. I have both a double socketed dedicated ring and two double socketed radials. I use all because I have so many components but the ring would be my choice should I be restricted to one or the other.

1 Like

There’s 5 gangs in there - cooker, sockets x2(I’m assuming upstairs and downstairs), all lights, shower.
I have EON lined up to move/rearrange all their stuff to the left of the existing consumer unit. Electrician just visited to quote for a new consumer unit + a separate ring for hi-fi.

Thanks for the pointer @Cohen1263, searching as we speak. Sparky going to quote for dedicated ring.

1 Like

If you only do one thing towards a dedicated mains circuit I would strongly recommend that you split the meter tails and put it on a separate small consumer unit, giving it far more isolation than if you just put it on a spare way in the main consumer unit.
Having tried dedicated mains with and without this, I would go so far as to say that it’s more or less a waste if time bothering with it unless you do so.

2 Likes

Thanks @ChrisSU, apart from more isolation, any other benefits? Pros and cons of main unit vs secondary CU?
Electrician said he’d do it no problem, but he didnt understand why.

I’m sure that Chris will concur with me here. If your Electrician tails off from a Henley block to a dedicated circuit breaker unit positioned before your mains unit as per Chris’s post you will greatly reduce the amount of noise that appliances in your home generate from entering your hifi. This topology will also lower resistance on the AC which like reducing AC noise will improve the sound of your hifi.

2 Likes

If you see the picture I posted above, this demonstrates that concept.

DG…

1 Like

My experiences of dedicated mains started with a discussion with Steve Hopkins from Naim, who made recommendations based on testing and installation made when they wired their demo room.
His key points were:
Use a separate small consumer unit connected directly back to the meter by splitting the tails that come from it. Do not take the supply from a spare slot on the main consumer unit.
Also ensure that the earth cable connects straight to the earth point near the meter, not via the main CU.
A 32 Amp breaker is usually about right. To avoid nuisance tripping when switching on Naim Classic boxes use a Type C breaker rather than the more common Type B.
Use a single 10 square mm twin & earth cable to supply the whole system. This does make it a bit more difficult to install, especially if you need more than one double socket, but Steve was adamant that this is what is required to give the best results, and that thinner cables, or multiple circuits supplying one HiFi system, give inferior results.

Having tried various different circuits over the years I found his advice to be spot on. You will, of course, find a variety of different suggestions if you seek advice online. Make of that what you will.

That’s not a doorbell, it’s a ring, rather than a spur !