Malcolm Steward R.I.P

Don’t normally post on these sorts of threads but about 9 years ago I found myself following Malcolm on Twitter and we started engaging in several hi-if and music related vinyl conversations which resulted in some very bizarre but very funny communications via DM. Read about the accident and subsequent events only about a year ago. Sad to hear of his loss. Always a forthright and entertaining writer.

1 Like

Really sad news. I used to look forward to his reviews in Audiophile when that was around. It was usually for gear I could only aspire to in those days but reading about it was almost as good. His review of the NAC 52 was a masterpiece.

1 Like

Sad news indeed. His enthusiastic reviews were one of the main reasons I first investigated Naim in the early 1990s. Thank you Malcolm.

2 Likes

Oh such very sad news. He was at least to me the finest audio journalist who ever scratched ink across a page - engaging, insightful, funny and informative. As others have said he had a way with words that took you along with him as he experienced a new piece of gear - his NAC52 review was the best audio review I have ever read. I bought Hi-Fi review and Audiophile because of him and discovered naim through him too. In short he had more influence on my audio journey than anybody else.

Happily right at the start of my own writing career he willingly met me for a beer at the Bristol show to offer advice and we had a helpful chat, I wish there were more conversations down the years and was very sad to hear of his accident.

Sincere condolences to Malcolm’s family, especially Phillipa. I imagine heaven is rocking to the sound of NAC52/DBL’s going full tilt tonight…

Jonathan

11 Likes

A few years back at the Bristol Shiw I happened by chance to sit adjacent to Malcolm in the coffee bar. A 20 minute conversation followed. He was so knowledgable.

RIP.

1 Like

Indeed: it was one of the very first reviews I subbed – well, hardly touched a word of! – when I first started working on the launch issues of Audiophile.

Was proud to become a friend of Malcolm after that, leading to many experiences and escapades at various hi-fi shows and on press trips, and am very lucky now to own if not the actual NAC52/52PS he reviewed, at least the one he bought as a result of that review.

It still sounds very special indeed, and have already cranked it seriously in memory of Malcolm today. I think it’s what he would’ve wanted! :wink:

10 Likes

So sad to hear the news about Malcolm. I too bought a 52 (a huge outlay at the time) after Malcolm’s brilliant and carefully detailed review. I was delighted with it and kept it until I could afford a 552. Like all his reviews it was a joy to read and I followed what he wrote religiously, which was what got me into Naim in a serious way.
Rest in peace Malcolm. Your writing was much loved.

3 Likes

Sad, many thanks

image http://www.mybriks.com/assets/malcommain.jpg

WTF

3 Likes

Nice pic but Malcolm had SBLs and then DBLs. Chris Frankland was the Briks man.

1 Like

Thanks just looking on the web

I think philippa does the design of hi fi critic mag

2 Likes

yes , we have spent a great deal of time trying to find a care home in that area with little success . this article from 2017 and not much changed

8-(

Yes, she does.

1 Like

Very saddened to hear this news. My deepest condolences to Philippa and family.

A true Gent who is highly respected for his wit and keeping it real with his well crafted reviews. I first met Malcolm and Philippa long ago when they were visiting with Julian and Paul at the Naim factory (for a NACA5 speaker wire demo I believe it was). Later on I often ran into Malcolm at trade shows in the USA … many times at end of day gatherings known to us Brits attending the Vegas Consumer Electronics show (a bar at the Mirage Hotel we called our watering hole :-). Vegas of all places was his first experience of being in the US, and it was hilarious to listen to Malcolm’s take on things!

Many here have been commenting on Malcolm’s excellently written review of the legendary Naim NAC 52 preamp (which is available for download from our website) … published 30 years ago but still well worth a read.

RIP Malcolm.

Chris West
AV Options

15 Likes

Very sad news indeed, such a pleasure reading his reviews, I used to buy anything he wrote back in the day and still probably have it all stashed away somewhere. I will now dig these timeless acticles out and enjoy them as we all miss his outlook on how music should be played back and the joys that it brings. Rest In Peace Malcolm.

Malcolm was amongst the few writers that i recognised as being gifted and influential. May his legacy still continue.

1 Like

Wrong Malcolm. That system belongs to someone else. One of my favourite pix submitted to MyBriks, tho.

1 Like

Sad Sad news. The review of the NAC 52 is indeed one of the finest audio reviews I’ve read