Manfred Eicher And ECM's amazing recordings

On (so called) Lockdown.

Just discovered this film of Jon Christensen…navigating the terrain of improvisation between making up what comes next and having a purpose.

He’s not just playing the drum skins with his sticks - he’s not just playing rimshots - he’s playing the sides of the drums, he’s turning the sticks around and pressing the tip into the skin, he’s playing the sides of the drum bodies, he’s playing across the rims and skins of several drums and various cymbals in long sweeping movements that he makes up in response to what the band as a whole is playing, he’s making music with standard rhythm patterns and also way beyond standard notation as the musical need arises…

No one does that like JC…

2 Likes

Heard this morning that ECM is postponing all of its April releases - a really pity as there was some great stuff coming up from the likes of John Scofield, Benjamin Moussay, Jon Balke, Marcin Wasilewski and Joe Lovano.

I think we will see a lot more of this; there is simply no-one around to manufacture and send out LPs and CDs, and fewer outlets selling them…

2 Likes

Many years ago, it was my growing ECM collection that originally led me to upgrade my HIFI equipment. They were such wonderful recordings, how could I not find something better to listen with and do them justice? It has been Naim ever since. Jim, all those artists in your post have figured in my musical listening for a lot of my adult life. and what am I listening to as I write ? . . .

4 Likes

. . yes, fantastic percussionist, also check out Marilyn Mazur, played with Garbarek, E.Weber, G.Evans and Miles. . . . . but you probably know that anyway. Great thread, I am enjoying it.
Thanks

2 Likes

Powerful stuff, Egugu conjured up a wild ceremonial march, for me.
I have popped this album in to my listening for later. Thank you Richard.

I’ve been playing some Gary Peacock…

13 Likes

ECM were already on a relatively quiet year running at half what they would normally release after the excesses of the 50th anniversary.

Time to listen to the rich back catalogue and look forward to the next ones when they come.

2 Likes

Dave Holland was doing a late gig at Ronnie Scott’s the other day, when Mrs. jimdog and I were in London.

But by the time we’d been to see the Brad Mehldau Trio at the Barbican we couldn’t take another jazz gig in the same night.

Meanwhile, our upcoming visit to see GoGo Penguin at the Albert Hall in Manchester has been postponed until November.

1 Like

Here’s Gary with Marilyn Crispell doing Mrs Peacock stuff.

4 Likes

Interesting article from 1979

7 Likes

Brad, Jeff and Larry did about 5 encores that night, and got multiple standing ovations from about half of the audience.

Well the new album from Avishai Cohen is now out - Big Vicious. It’s not your normal ECM fare but it’s wonderful - you know it’s different just by the cover. I saw the guys last November in Brussels and they really were stunning live…

6 Likes

. . I can see a few gaps in that collection Lontano :smiley:

Just listening to ‘Tangents’

1 Like

What you see?

Love the ‘Big Vicious’ album and would love to a see a show featuring this quintet! Climbed right up there for album of the year.

I saw him perform this past October in Seattle with the following lineup and it was excellent: Avishai Cohen (trumpet), Fabian Almazan (piano), Barak Mori (bass), and Ziv Ravitz (drums).

The album did seam a bit out of the norm for ECM but hope they give ‘Big Vicious’ a second release in the future!

3 Likes

I know there is a lot of love for this album at ECM, so I suspect there’s a good chance of a second at some point in the future…

3 Likes

Paul Bley.
What can I say?

A grater musician than Miles.

The Steeplechase LPs alone contain a wealth of wonderful :musical_note:.
The entire length of the :musical_keyboard:.

Every trap his talent led him towards, sidestepped.
Bitter music, yes
But also sweet, like marmalade.

Slow but also fast.

The blues but also…etc.

1 Like

I love Paul Bley and have numerous albums of his on vinyl, and others that he plays on as a sideman, and I listen to more of his stuff on Qobuz. He is truly one of the greats.

However, I do not share your opinion that he is greater than Miles.

2 Likes

Perhaps not greater.
But definitely grater. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

One way to navigate Paul Bley’s huge catalogue if you have the Naim app is to look for the ones that have a summary by Thom Jurek.

Generally these are the best ones.

Most of them are ECM LPs.

On the notes for the LP Solo in Mondsee, Jurek claims that the LP Open, to Love unconsciously aided Eicher in his development of the ECM sound.

But using the Jurek mini reviews as a guide misses a few gems.

One example is the track Reality Check on the steeplechase LP of the same name. Not a good LP, but a great track. (Bley looks really knackered on the cover photo.)

Another is the track Blues in the Cupboard from the very good LP The Nearness of You.

Notes on Ornette is an excellent LP.

The Montreal Tapes with Charlie Haden and Paul Motian is excellent too.