Manfred Eicher And ECM's amazing recordings

Here’s Gary with Marilyn Crispell doing Mrs Peacock stuff.

4 Likes

Interesting article from 1979

7 Likes

Brad, Jeff and Larry did about 5 encores that night, and got multiple standing ovations from about half of the audience.

Well the new album from Avishai Cohen is now out - Big Vicious. It’s not your normal ECM fare but it’s wonderful - you know it’s different just by the cover. I saw the guys last November in Brussels and they really were stunning live…

6 Likes

. . I can see a few gaps in that collection Lontano :smiley:

Just listening to ‘Tangents’

1 Like

What you see?

Love the ‘Big Vicious’ album and would love to a see a show featuring this quintet! Climbed right up there for album of the year.

I saw him perform this past October in Seattle with the following lineup and it was excellent: Avishai Cohen (trumpet), Fabian Almazan (piano), Barak Mori (bass), and Ziv Ravitz (drums).

The album did seam a bit out of the norm for ECM but hope they give ‘Big Vicious’ a second release in the future!

3 Likes

I know there is a lot of love for this album at ECM, so I suspect there’s a good chance of a second at some point in the future…

3 Likes

Paul Bley.
What can I say?

A grater musician than Miles.

The Steeplechase LPs alone contain a wealth of wonderful :musical_note:.
The entire length of the :musical_keyboard:.

Every trap his talent led him towards, sidestepped.
Bitter music, yes
But also sweet, like marmalade.

Slow but also fast.

The blues but also…etc.

1 Like

I love Paul Bley and have numerous albums of his on vinyl, and others that he plays on as a sideman, and I listen to more of his stuff on Qobuz. He is truly one of the greats.

However, I do not share your opinion that he is greater than Miles.

2 Likes

Perhaps not greater.
But definitely grater. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

One way to navigate Paul Bley’s huge catalogue if you have the Naim app is to look for the ones that have a summary by Thom Jurek.

Generally these are the best ones.

Most of them are ECM LPs.

On the notes for the LP Solo in Mondsee, Jurek claims that the LP Open, to Love unconsciously aided Eicher in his development of the ECM sound.

But using the Jurek mini reviews as a guide misses a few gems.

One example is the track Reality Check on the steeplechase LP of the same name. Not a good LP, but a great track. (Bley looks really knackered on the cover photo.)

Another is the track Blues in the Cupboard from the very good LP The Nearness of You.

Notes on Ornette is an excellent LP.

The Montreal Tapes with Charlie Haden and Paul Motian is excellent too.

The system is singing tonight.
Just listened to 3 more of those hidden Bley gems.
Crossroads from Notes on Ornette.
Moor from When Will the Blues Leave.
And Rear Projection from Blues for Red.

Just for the record, the Bley LPs that have notes by Thom Jurek on the Naim app include:
When Will the Blues Leave
About Time
The Paul Bley Quartet
Improvisie
Early Trios
Closer
Solo in Mondsee
Nothing to Declare
Sankt Gerold
Sweet Time
Life of a Trio - Sunday
Open, to Love

(Now that I list them in writing I see that they are not all the best ones - and of course some of Bleys very best records are missing - like Not Two, Not One and like Blues for Red).

Jim,
Do you know Allmusic.com?
Their favorites are:

Reviews by Thom Jurek

1 Like

I like Bley’s BeBopBeBopBeBopBeBop.

1 Like

Yes, that’s a lovely LP.

Thanks FR - I’ll check it out…
Jurek writes on that site.
cheers
Jim

1 Like

Jim, you might be interested in this site - Tyran Grillo has written a review of every ECM/JAPO/WATT/Carmo album ever released (quite an achievement). You will of course find lots of Bley reviews in this lot.

3 Likes

Thanks Lontano
I came across one of these reviews recently, but didn’t know they exist for all LPs.
Very interesting resource.
Jim

1 Like