Mayonnaise/Cheese

A moany email…

Why does every pre-prepared sandwich nowadays have either mayonnaise or cheese in it? Okay, a cheap question because I know the answer; a cheap(!) way to add flavour to an otherwise bland offering. Rather than use, for example, tasty ham they’ll use cheap tasteless ham and then a slice of cheese and ‘mayo’ is everywhere. I’m seeing it now used as a cheap alternative to butter; cheaper and quicker to spread.

As someone that hates either ‘mayo’ or cheese I find it extremely vexing.

and… on a similar vain. What’s with pre-prepared bacon or sausage sandwiches with hard boiled egg in?! Anyway I’ve learnt that lesson very quickly; stay away from pre-prepared sandwiches which are then flashed in the microwave. Waitrose… used to make an excellent sausage sandwich made with really good sausages. Now it’s pre-prepared c**p - cost more and taste of do-do :frowning:

3 Likes

About 20 years ago Boots did a breakfast sandwich with “baked bean bread” plus sausage, bacon and egg. Now that was special.

I’m with you on mayo, on the very rare occasions I might consider buying a ready made sandwich I would often walk away empty handed because there is no mayo free option. Repulsive stuff, I would rather go hungry.
Cheese, on the other hand, I can live with.

Yes, not a fan of mayonnaise on sandwiches either, and something I’ve been conscious of for years.

It’s too early in the morning for me - I initially read the thread title as Mandarin Chinese.

4 Likes

Proper mayonnaise is just brilliant. Proper mayonnaise is usually not on sandwiches.

In general its healthier to eat a bag of crisps than a sandwich.

3 Likes

Don’t mind Mayo -can make an otherwise dry sandwich moreish and moist…

3 Likes

This is one of the issues I have. It’s often used as a sticking plaster to mask a poor quality sandwich.

1 Like

When I moved jobs a few years back the most convenient source of readymade sandwiches was a mini M&S in a petrol station, previously it had been Greggs. I think I put on s stone after the move. Who’d have thought Greggs was the healthy option!

I lost that stone and another once I was making my own lunch at home during lockdown and subsequent retirement, though I tend to thank rather the glass of red wine I took to having with lunch and dinner in order to drink down my cellar before the planned move to France.

6 Likes

Some of the ‘Meal Deal’ options in the supermarkets of sandwich/pudding/drink can run out at ~800 cals, with ~500 in the sandwich alone, courtesy of the mayo/stuffing/bacon et al, often in them. The primary issue to my eyes is the sugar in say a ‘low fat’ granola yoghurt (185cals) and a tin of Red Bull (115 cals).

Never used the meal deals, I’m not a fan of crisps or sugary drinks come to that, just a sandwich and unsweetened black coffee for lunch. Chorleywood bread has to take a lot of the blame, not just the fillings.

Always allow your sandwich to reach room temperature.
When just out from a chilled shelf they have an unattractive stiffness - which is why most use mayo and not butter, as they would have even more stiffness. Also the flavours will be better whatever it is.

1 Like

Could be worse

8 Likes

Needs some cheese and mayo.

1 Like

Now that’s a good looking sandwich :slight_smile: Best sauce as well. I don’t like cheap brown sauce. There’s a cafe we pop into in Leyburn; they do a nice sausage baguette but I have to take my own sachet of HP sauce in with me.

I stopped eating deli meat years ago but I fancied a little mayo (Hellmans), yellow mustard, and swiss/provologne/cheddar, depending on the sandwich, when I did.

I only buy a sandwich if I’m taking a long train journey. As most big stations include a mini M&S I always head for the…

Along with a couple of mini tins of G&T.

When visiting the states. A proper Reuben Sandwich is always at the top of the list.

Their “corned beef” ranges so much.
Preferring the smoked brisket with Russian dressing and all made on a griddle top to melt the cheese in beef drippings.

7 Likes

It makes the m&s look very uninviting👍

3 Likes

With you on this. Good mayonnaise is great, the stuff on sandwiches they call mayo isn’t mayonnaise IMO. At best it has been on a shelf next to mayonnaise at some point in its live, but probably not even that.

I still baffles me that we live in a country where good cuisine is virtually absent but where ‘Mayonaisse’ implies strict rules. Vive la Hollande.

3 Likes

Could be down to the difficulty to order them - without spitting at the waiter. :rofl: