Measuring speaker distance - Kudos Titan

How does your system sound? Are you happy? Is there anything that you would like to change through adjusting placement?

1 Like

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the responses.

The speakers are 31.5cm out from the wall currently. This is measured to the back of the part the cables go in. The proper back of the speaker I guess as the 808 has some flanges on the sides that sit proud. The right hand speaker is 56.5cm from the side wall. The left hand speaker is 32.5cm from the Fraim. The speakers are 2m apart centre of tweeter to centre of tweeter. The room is actually closer to 4m wide not 4.5m. I sit 3.2m back from the front of the speaker.

The bass does not boom unless you feed them extreme bass that is already distorted on the recording. Closer to the wall and they did boom a bit. I have had them further out but lost a bit of connection with the vocals and the bass weakened a bit too much for my taste.

To my ears they sound great. Very emotionally connecting. The range is incredible, the low bass is something to behold. The speakers always feel very controlled. This is the closest to live music I have experienced at home. In a treated room they would no doubt sound even better. The room is not perfect for sure. It doubles as a lounge and I have 2 young exuberant boys!

5 Likes

@Dave the cymbal is one of Lars Ulrichs from Metallica. Its broken but they signed it. One of my good friends has one as well but unsigned as Lars gave him it during a show. As you may have gathered I am a big fan of the band and have travelled the world seeing them live for the past 25 years!

4 Likes

Normal convention in discussing speaker positioning is in relation to centre of front baffle, because that is where the sound comes from (albeit skewd to one side with sone driver positioning) - however I have noticed many people on the forum talk about distance from rear of speaker to the wall behind.

BTW, quickest way to assess speaker and listening positions (latter is at least as important) is by using REW audio measuring tool (free software) and a measuring microphone (around £100-£120, though available around half that secondhand, and easily moved on if not wanted again).

1 Like

Looking airier than in the previous pics

1 Like

Yeah, looking at the other pics the speakers look pushed into the corners! I have moved them a bit since the pics were taken but not by that much! I guess its the perspective.

1 Like

Much better photos Steve and looking good to me and by all accounts everything seems to sound just fine for you. Enjoy your new fab looking 808s. :partying_face: ATB Peter

1 Like

I wonder if the speaker, at around 30 cm from the Fraim, can transfer vibrations to the electronics and have a negative impact.
In the case of a turntable, I know it’s yes.

@frenchrooster I suspect it will but the Fraim has been designed for somewhat helping dissipate those vibrations. I don’t have another choice regarding position sadly. The sound truly is something to behold though. I can only imagine what the 808 would be capable of in a perfect setting!!

1 Like

Of course Steve, you have a wonderful system. And we have all to deal with domestic constraints.
I would, in your case, try some Townsend podiums under the Kudos.
You would probably have a cleaner and more open sound.
Dunc and Peter R can testify .

1 Like

I had not thought of something like that French, might be worth a test at some point! Those 808’s do go low!

You would have a better controlled bass .
Here the 606 on Townsend:

1 Like

Would you recommend Townsend for my 606? What are the expected improvements? Which model do you have and are they easy to set up?

You can buy try and return Toon with money back, if you don’t find them to be wfm.
I’ve heard of one case, where they were trialed under 808s with no success and can’t help wondering, whether a 2 box enclosure potentially act differently to the Townends. They worked wonders under my one box speakers though :+1:t3: ATB Peter

Just read another thread and see that @Rustyneedle is delighted by them under his Kudos T88.
He says :
“I started with moving the T88s into freer space, as yours.
Then purchased Podiums, that was a revelation, it was like a power amp and speaker swap, effortless, free of the cabinets and the micro detail, gobsmacked!”

1 Like

@mickdale has them under the 606. He should advise you .
You have also the Townsend podiums thread in the search part.
Hope it will help.
I believe strongly in such things. I have Finite Elemente cerabases. But could have gone for Podiums.

1 Like

Are the T88 so different from 808? Because they apparently were transformational on T88.

I bought a pair off the bay at a considerable discount from rrp. They were new.

I was advised against by Derek when I asked about bolting them straight to the 606s but thought if I don’t like them can move them on easily. I got the spike cups to sit them on.

For me they were a definite improvement tightening up the sound making the bass more clear etc.

I have a nearly square room and have a fair bit of treatment curtesy of jelco panels which really help.

I also moved the speakers closer to the rear wall.

Win win.

1 Like

Hi FR, was just relaying a conversation about the Podiums I had with my dealer at the time of trying mine. ATB Peter

1 Like