Measuring speaker distance - Kudos Titan

I would recommend everyone to try decoupling their speakers, it may or may not work, so SOR would be the way to go.
My preference was for Podiums and I purchased mine off that famous auction site, new and at a considerable saving.
However for me in my room etc.etc. I was, gobsmacked ! They wobble like a jelly when lightly touched being on springs and I had always followed the mantra speakers must be rock steady as if a camera on a tripod.
Yet I was getting an incredible open, detailed sound,longer decay, possibly leaner but tighter bass,better seperation, the musicians sounded as if they wanted to play, the sound was liberated from the cabinets.
But the speakers wobble, it went beyond everything Iā€™d read or done for some 30 odd years.
I know, some may say my comments are a bit hyper and I confess Iā€™m not a technical guy. I listen, if I like I way up the cost and I buy.
For me in my room etc etc. I couldnā€™t have bought a black box or speaker to give as much, even for the retail price of the Podiums. But, when I thought about it what I was hearing was a result of all those boxes, the Podiums are dampened springs on a platform (apologies to Max Townshend if Iā€™ve understated his products).
Iā€™m sure other decoupling devices are possibly as good and more aesthetically pleasing but Iā€™m very happy with my choice.
P.S. I have Titan T88s and I replaced the metal Trak spikes with wooden cones sitting on the platforms.

1 Like

@mickdale What size did you get for your 606s?

I chose Size 2 Weight C, for 35kg kudos Titan 606 speakers

1 Like

Did you place the 606 on the Townshend with or without the Track Audio spikes?

You should rather ask @mickdale , because the picture is from his system.
But I know that generally itā€™s better to put directly without the spikes.

1 Like

Hello Phil
There are 4 flat head screws on the underside of the 606 base that holds it to the cabinet. They protrude a few mm below the flat base stopping the speakers from sitting flat on the podiums if the spikes are removed.

I was intending drilling holes in the Townsend podiums and screwing them to the 606s. I contacted kudos who I donā€™t think were impressed and stayed that it would be a bad idea.

Next thought was drill the podiums and to screw into where the spikes go.

I finally decided to try out putting the spikes in cups on the podiums.
For me that worked really well and I didnā€™t try any other ways.

I had visions of removing the 4 existing screws to attach the podiums and the whole speaker falling apart never to be reassembled and some nuts floating around in the cabinets.

Thanks for a very detailed explanation. Did you fix the cups to the podiums or not?

No just rested them. The 606s are heavy so that helps.

Whether it is an improvement certainly depends on the overall situation. In my flat there is an old, solid parquet floor. This in turn lies on wooden beams, so overall itā€™s a rather vibrating situation. I had problems with resonances when placing my 808s and tried Harmonix Spike bases. This was already better. The scale amazed me and aroused my curiosity if and to what extent Townshend Podiums could top this.
After some time I gave it a try (which was neither quick nor cheap) and ended up with a closer-to-the-wall set-up than before, but with a bass definition I would hardly have believed my electronics to have.
I think the mixture of heavy speakers on a springy floor is the secret here. But since all Titans are not exactly lightweights, everyone can judge for themselves whether an attempt promises an improvement.
I have also tried spikes and spikes/bases between the 808 and the podiums, but so far ended up with the speakers without spikes placed directly on the podiums.
Maybe Iā€™ll try something else, but definitely not as soon as. It already plays very, very well like thisā€¦

1 Like

It was suggested to me by a fellow Podium owner that he used oak cones under his speakers, stuck with double adhesive tape and cones pointing down.
I have done this and though never making comparisons have seen reason to remove them or concerns of any adverse effect.

100% clear. Thank you.

1 Like

May I ask, what happened to your NBL Steve? Maybe I missed out another thread between your decission for the Titans.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.