Melco D100 demo against buffalo

For me i am happy, no desire to look any further into my rips anymore.
I can’t tell the difference anymore between the rips and the player and for me that is end goal

1 Like

I have a Melco N1a/2 but currently still rip my CD’s using DB Poweramp as I don’t have an external buffalo drive. I understand that the Buffalo Blu-ray drive is recommended for ripping direct to a Melco, which looks to be only around £90. Just wondering whether a Buffalo into Melco rip would be any better than a DB poweramp rip (which uses accurate rip). Can’t stretch to a D100 unfortunately, but may try the Buffalo if there could be a benefit.

Well i use the buffalo and its very good and is recommended by melco to use

I didn’t demo the D100 against the Buffalo, but I did compare my experimental D100 rips to those I had done via Unitiserve 5 or 6 years before.
The result was that I re-ripped all of my 2000+ CDs. I would not have committed that time if I didn’t believe that there was an improvement, but I was told by the cognoscenti that I was imagining it.
The good news is that I am enjoying the improvement, and the naysayers are missing nothing!

4 Likes

Yes like you, i am also having to do the same, the D100 is so much slower at ripping compared to the buffalo, but its doing a better job, so need to be patient with it

1 Like

I originally had my CD collection ripped via my PC and dbPoweramp. Having heard DB’s Melco rips and those at my dealer I could clearly hear that the Melco rips were easier on the ear and as you describe just more natural with a wonderful sense of air and space, better in fact than my CD555 which I traded for the ND555. I agree you would need a revealing system to get the best out of the rips, I am using an ND555 x 2 NAP555PS with a 552/500 into Kudos 808s on a SL full loom. The ripping process is very slow on the D100 direct on to my N1. I reckon it takes about 1 hour to rip six or seven CDs on average. I started re-ripping my collection (about 2000) about four months ago doing a few each day and I reckon I have a few weeks to go yet so it’s keeping me occupied during lockdown! So icing on the cake for sure, at £1099, but I am sure that I will not be ripping my CD collection ever again.

2 Likes

I rip with an Apple super drive. I use XLD. I rip to AIFF I used to rip to ALAC . I rip with Accurate rip enabled, drive offset and pre gap. I’m not a fan of WAV files since metadata support isn’t as good. I’m not a bits are bits guy by any means but there is no timing info in a rip so I’m not sure how different rips can sound different

Better not respond…a same polemic will begin and was discussed already many times.

1 Like

When I bought my original N1a, Melco were promoting the simplicity of ripping using any £25 external drive. I variously wore out LG, Asus and Hitachi drives before buying a Melco blu-ray drive. I wish had done so in the first place. It’s faster, quieter, has ripped a number of discs that constantly failed before.
So then I renamed and reripped half a dozen discs. Of course I was going to hear a difference, but my wife didn’t know why I asked her to listen. She can hear a difference as well!

Interesting. So Buffalo owns Melco I wonder if a Buffalo optical drive would rip as well as the Audiophile Melco? There’s a Buffalo Blu Ray desk top unit that’s $135. BRXL-16U3

Here the answer, posted above.

Interesting, thanks Dunc.

opus

8h

Interesting. So Buffalo owns Melco I wonder if a Buffalo optical drive would rip as well as the Audiophile Melco? There’s a Buffalo Blu Ray desk top unit that’s $135. BRXL-16U3

The buffalo will get you say 95% and the D100 the full 100% lets say.
What matters is if you want the last 5%, if you will hear the last 5%, as like i said in the thread, i dont think it would be worth having a melco D100 unless you have a very revealing system, as i just dont think the extra space, air and more natural sound it can deliver on its rips would show, could be wrong, but having not had the same issue when i had the NDS, i would say that its dac wasn’t capable off showing it up, if that all makes sense.
But off course if you have 1000’s to rip, then it could make perfect sense to rip them the best way possible, as then you stand a better chance going forward not ever having to do them again, like i am now.
But take it from me ripping from a D100 takes a long time, it is much slower than the buffalo and how long it would take anyone to rip say a 1000 CD’s is just mind destroying

Does the Melco use proprietary ripping software or is it like any other drive?

I dont know, sorry. You will need to go on the melco site to find the answer, unless someone else knows

It can use third party software such as dbpoweramp if connected to a pc . If connected direct to the Melco itself It uses some built in proprietary software.

Why Melco D100 for ripping…Unity Core is not better for ripping? anybody here compared?

RipVanRadio above reported:

Didn’t understand your post all the way …what I understood that’s ripping is better with D100

Yes the melco with the basic buffalo sounds better than the core and plenty off info if you do a search.
The D100 just makes it even better