Melco D100 demo against buffalo

But then a Mac CD Drive ripping using DBPowerAmp onto a fanless QNap NAS sounds better than the Core

I guess its time to consider an external ps for my Core. Oh they don’t make one. Perhaps a firmware update would do it. Naim? New product opportunity.

Well i have finally finished re ripping all my favourite CD’s once more and happy its over.

The melco D100 clearly rips better than the more normal buffalo drive melco recommend if you dont have the D100.

The D100, adds a more natural sound and extra space, its not hugely different, but it is different and in a good way, it also takes a lot longer to rip a CD and some CD’s a very long time, i guess going slower helps it extract all the data correctly. Its also quite a heavy beast and very quite in operation and i guess this also helps, anyway what ever it does, it does it very well and if your system warrants the extra few percent of quality this can give, then give one a try.

Its also worth noting that if you use a melco with the dac out (usb), you can use this drive as a CD player and its ment to very good at that as well.

Just to add the melco i use is the N1zs/2 which also might have helped me get to this outcome.
Cheers dunc

5 Likes

I still have a couple of thousand of cd’s to do…, but also very happy with the results of the first 1000 I re-ripped

I don’t think i could do that many, or if i would ever get to listen to even 3/4 off them.
Best off luck

1 Like

It would be cool to have the possibility to borrow the S100 for a few days . Unfortunately my dealer doesn’t have it. Neither other dealers in Paris.
I would rip maybe 200 albums that I would listen to .
But will not pay 1k for that.

1 Like

Hi

You could buy one, then rent it to 10 friends at €100 each, each paying the return postage. :bangbang:

A good business opportunity, before you say it I don’t have 10 friends :worried:

:joy::joy:

CK

1 Like

I have no one audiophile friend. It’s a reality

I did think seriously think about buying one and then setting up a rental scheme with it, but I feel the posting, insurance and deposit would make it a non starter.
I also wasn’t prepared to pay £1099 for one and then just rip the few CDs I have, plus I haven’t bought a cd in over 10 years

In my case, it is about 50c per cd, and I don’t have to keep checking whether it’s been re-ripped or not, as I’ve done them all. To me , that’s value for money.

I understand. You have 2000 + cds . I would rip maybe 200.

But which 200? You never know when the mood takes you in a new direction…

I prefer to buy individual tracks and on hires format.
It would be only to rip again my favorite cds I own.
I have absolutely no reason to buy new cds .
The old ones are cheap, indeed. But I very very rarely discover something to listen that which interests me in the past decades.
For before 80’s era, I prefer much more listening to lps.

1 Like

Even if the Melco’s wonderful, it’s come too late for me. Having spent months ripping my several thousand CDs I have promised myself to never again rip a CD for as long as I live.

1 Like

Dont blame you, as i have said the difference isn’t much, thats why i never bothered doing all mine again, and i certainly wouldn’t buy one, i was just lucky to be lent one

I have a friend who has S100 switch, N10 and D100 (I do hope I have those right!) on test at the moment with thoughts of replacing his N100. He seems most impressed with the switch but has found a noticeable difference (against rips to his Core) with the melco ripper.

Not sure I would want the bother of sharing a ripper but if it saved £500 each maybe I should! I haven’t tried any melco in my system yet but will be doing so this year. The Kudos active dem at acoustica I went to last autumn included a melco N100 I think between the core and the nd555. Geoff Showed the difference with and without the melco in and it was significant

Been following that on face book, and been getting a bit hot lol
The N100 is a good place to start and very good value for money in the melco range, you will get more improvements as you go up in the range, but the value for money drops off, i was lucky to get the range topping N1ZS/2, x demo for less than half price, as was looking at the N10 to start with, but couldn’t get as good a deal on that, plus i couldn’t tell any real difference in sound between them, being honest.
As all things at this level, the differences are slight, it boils down to what you prefer and if the extra outlay is worth it to you.
But i would suggest you try a melco, even the N100 as it does help inpove the single

I definitely am going to try. Had to call a halt on the “send all my money to Geoff” approach as I ran out of money… I am going to have a listen to the switch and N100 for starters. If my friend goes for the N10 there might be a cheap N100 going locally :blush:

That was what i was thinking lol, cheap N100 going, sold mine for ÂŁ1k.

1 Like

Or the next step up - a pre-loved N1A/2 with (or without) the EX upgrade