Melco N10 & N100, difference

You have a very fine source, the same as me . Better is costing much much more, and some say that Nd555/ Melco nz / n10 is too good for 500 series electronics, more close the Statement level than 500.

500 series is enough

Do you have a 555DR on the NDS?

if you move to a Chord dac or similar you may miss the beef that the psu gives to the sound - and you’d also lose the Naim system synergy.

1 Like

As said i am very happy with it all and really enjoying vinyl once again and i enjoy switching between sources.
The NDS is powered by a 555dr, plus i have another non naim power supply that i can use to split, but right now i am just using the naim.

But the dcs range is tempting and would love the rossini and clock, but thats a way off due to its price. But it might well be the way i go once i can stretch that far

If the ND555 is ‘falling in price massively ‘, why not buy one? It is far better than the NDS.

Far better is very subjective. I would say the differences are like between cds3/ 555dr and cd555…

They are, jc audio had one for £7500 a few weeks back. A few for sale right now and all under £10k.
They are only going one way and thats down. I guess that due to the competition thats about.
Looks like a lot of x nd555 have gone dcs or dave.
I could get one and almost did, but dont want one thanks, unless they keep falling and by then its replacement will be pretty much here and so it will start again lol.
Plus my nds has dropped in value, not that i paid a lot for it, but still the gap is quite big to the nd555 and i for dont think its worth it, especially when i could sell my nds/555dr and buy a second hand dave for the same value.
Lots of ways to go if you want to explore

I think also that is not impossible that the nd555 second hand are not the best batch ones. I followed the thread nd555 impressions since the beginning and heard that a lot of nd555 were returned.
So maybe risky to buy a second hand nd555 now.

I heard the Linn klimax dsm3, but it lacked some grip and authority. However very musical.
Heard also the Dave and not liked it. Too clinical. The music was not presented as a whole, an entity. Demonstrative but quickly boring.
Not liked the DCS Rossini ( alone) too. Less refined and colorful vs the linn or nds.

So for now prefer to keep my nds.

1 Like

The thing that still puts me off Naim streamers is that it seems lots of work has to be done to sort the local networking out. While it seems improved solutions are now available, the cost just goes up. Not sure what the answer is, but I can live with my cobbled together conversion of nDAC to usb driven from the Innuos Zenith with Audiophilleo usb to spdif.

It would work with NDS as well.

Phil

Have you compared Innuos/ Ndac/ 555dr vs Nds/555dr with Innuos in Ethernet mode?
It would be the best reason to think if Ethernet mode is problematic or not. I feel personally the contrary, Ethernet has more possibilities and strengths than usb. Usb is more and more found as inferior vs Ethernet by a lot of reviewers.
From the last reviews of Melco, Antipodes, and Aurender servers, wilth dacs having a streaming card ( CH precision, Audiomat, Vermeer) , all these reviews point the superiority of sound of Ethernet mode vs Usb.
If you try one day to add a streaming bridge to your Ndac, and use the Innuos in the test only as a Nas, It’s not impossible that you will be very surprised.

Trying to avoid mania. Life is too short, and others do a good job! Keep it up.

My current interest is Current as in AC mains. It’s all about noise.

Phil

Ethernet seems not to be the noisiest, if not the reviewers would have preferred the usb mode.

They may not have used the Audiophilleo though. I use a £3 usb cable from the computer shop. The PurePower charges off the nDAC.

On this matter, I am unapologetically subjective! The ND555 puts a smile on my face every night.
However, if I must, I will write ‘IMHO’, but don’t for a minute think I believe it.

They used very high quality usb cables, some costing 2k.

I have the nds and heard the nd555 three times. Yes, it’s better. Much much better, no.
We have just different opinions…no problem.

1 Like

Why should that make it better?

Well thank you for a subjective opinion!

I don’t say that. Just said they used some very good usb cables.

I am aware that my opinion is also subjective. But perhaps not so exaggerated as yours…
Enjoy however your great streamer, because it’s great, and here we agree.