Melco n1a2 vs unitserve / linear ps

Yes, but literally of course there is no Dac in a TT…
So what is arguably th key component in a digi signal chain is completely absent in an analog reproduction system.

it’s an analogy. Of course there’s no dac in a turntable, or nas or server…etc
the turntable is like a transport carrying the signal in the most silent and accurate way ( the speed accuracy). The signal is made by the cartridge and the phono stage.
The lp stays on a turntable like the files in a nas. The cartridge decodes the information in the lp like the streamer decodes the files in the nas. It’s more on the illustration point of view.

Do you know how to add favorite option on Melco? I think on twonky media you need to set,but I don’t know how.

what is favorite option?

Fevorite albums or tracks you want to separate from your all library,I have 4000 albums need only those I like best to listen.

Every day n1 sound is getting better to me

1 Like

for me too! i feel the n10 will project you on heaven!

I don’t know how to create favorites, sorry.

You use the naim app? if so i think it’s possible via the naim app.

Couldn’t find any favorite option on naim app…Melco Shows you how good is Nd555

Try using either Lumin or Linn Kazoo as the Control app for your Melco and from there create playlists. The Melco firmware is getting more complete with each release - there are strong indications it will be able to act as a Roon endpoint soon.

the nd555 is the player, melco used as nas. So i feel no other app can’t be used. Or with adding additional software and using Roon.

You right,install right now LUMIN on my iPad,I see all my files but I can’t play, it shoes me error.

1 Like

perhaps something like a roon rock installation , you could use Roon and have playlists. But i don’t know much more on it. Just have read that’s there’s a lot of Roon users with nd555 or other naim streamers.
@Bart and @Simon-in-Suffolk could respond.

Surely his answer would be something like - ‘How good it sounds to me and my customers and anyone else who happens to stroll past’.

I thought that the allegedly very clean “direct mode” was the major reason to prefer a Melco to, say, a Raspberry Pi, a NUC or an off-the-shelf NAS. If the direct mode is “horrible” then perhaps it would be better to avoid the Melco altogether? Is the Melco in standard mode then better than a NAS (NUC, Pi, etc.)?

Yes - it is why I got it.
Believe it of not I home-auditioned it for a few days and decided I liked it compared to a NAS drive I already had.

I try all the options and either they are better, worse or make no difference and choose accordingly.

The main thing I thought the Melco offered was the extra isolation it claimed to offer, as well as apparently re-clocking with a clean system clock also claimed - which seems to work in all the demos I had.
There was a mode to turn-off file-sharing, which I preferred ‘on’ which was meant to be better in ‘off’ mode, but was not.

The only ‘direct’ mode I use is to directly connect to the ND555 with a single Ethernet and displace the switch from prime-position. I think you still need a good switch as others have found but I’m presently very happy with the results I’m having in my system.

But respect others that don’t like the Melco, but I’ve heard some of the options make it unacceptable for my use if I’d only heard it configured that way, so wonder if some have heard it like that - unknown, but may explain the strong opinions either way.

DB.

today i talked with the melco n1zh2 owner, who works on my library transfer. He also uses the melco ripper. He has compared mac rips, blueray drive into melco, and the melco ripper: the melco dedicated ripper gives the best results on sound quality for him. He is very satisfied by the melco ripper.

You need to assign the Melco in two places in the Lumin App.

1. As a ‘Lumin’
  2. As the Music library (Lumin also found other music stores such as my PC and Uniti Core on my network).

If you can’t see the Lumin under point 1 there is a setting on the Melco to change the ‘USB DAC Controller Mode’ - the Melco app uses ‘0’ and most others use ‘1’.

I also had to change away from a BT HomeHub router to a DrayTek for both the Melcos I had on trial to be visible to these Control apps.

I was also advised by David at Audio Therapy (a Melco Master Dealer) as follows for optimal SQ:-

Go into the settings menu and scroll down to option 3 - power LED brightness and set to dim
Come back out of there and go to option 4 - Rear Side LED and set to off
Come back out of there and go to option 7 Auto Power Safe and set to off
Next go down to option 9 - USB DAC, in here option 1 is the controller mode setting I mentioned, Linn Kazoo needs to be set to mode 1, the melco app is mode 0. Ignore hybrid mode.

My DAC is a Chord HUGO TT2, so I am using the ND5 XS2 as a very effective bridge or streamer.

The Melco firmware these days, and even more so in the near future with SongKong and then Roon (endpoint) , is improving way beyond being a “NAS” as it can stream locally stored files, Tidal, QOBUZ, and Internet Radio direct to the DAC, (as well as reading from other music stores on the network), or being a UPnP Input to the ND5. The software needs more development to rival Naim for sure, also the multi room, and the.connectivity of the new Naim streamers is a strongpoint. As I got both Naim and Melco units at good ex-demo discounts I have both for the equivalent full RRP new cost of the Melco N1ZH/2.

1 Like

did you use economy energy mode? i set up to 20mn, but it doesn’t go in stand by mode.
A problem if always on power on and screen on?