Milty Zerostat 3

No ‘nasties’ intended - just found HH’s comment funny :relieved:

Still got my original Zerostat (Mk 1?) from 1978 on the shelf and it is still operational but I rarely use it.

Do you know the Zerostat is working - can it light up the attachment that should have been in the box with it ?

I bought a new one (had one many years ago, which worked well) and thought there was little resistance when I pulled the trigger, couldn’t hear anything and the records stayed full of static. Put the tester on and found it didn’t light up - so the Zerostat wasn’t working.

Bought it at a show and couldn’t remember a dealer name (or even which show !) so couldn’t return it. Goldring didn’t respond to my email either, which I put down to be a result of Covid lockdown. It’s now well out of guarantee so I’m stuck with a £60 toy gun.

The one I had back in the eighties did work well and did until I got rid of my turntable in the early 2000s

Don’t think mine came with a tester - just the clicks when you pull the trigger, which goes to no resistance when you squeeze too hard.

Ive only been back to playing LP’s for ~2 years and this is my finding as well. A record run through a wet RCM dries static-free and if stored in static-resistant sleeves stays that way pretty well.

The Zerostat has never removed all of that felt-mat-lifting static when it’s present. Wet washing does.

It was quite funny.

Don’t give up on us :wink:

Like Richard I have never found Milty’s really effective.

For sure not as effective as a cleaning machine. But to remove the worst statics from new LPs it does its job good IMO. Into an antistatic sleeve afterwards and much better than doing nothing. There’s always something better… :wink:

Sure it is, that is just the halibuts way. You may choose to ignore it, or be offended, but he will continue to sneak in with a comment to be a wise guy as we say here in the states, and never go back to that topic. Part of his personality/charm I suppose.

But if you need sound advice on old kit, new kit, or upgrade advice from someone who has owned almost every piece of Naim equipment and cable types, he is the go to person.

Scott

1 Like

At Laskys I pulled rank to carry a Decca Zerostat because the carpets generated massive amounts of static. In quiet periods my stalwart salesmen would sneak up and zap the under prepared.

Very effective on humans, not so much on Hi-Fi.

2 Likes

ISTR these were the rage back in my uni. days. The trick is to ‘aim’ at the LP from about 6-8 inches and gently squeeze the trigger without causing it to ‘click’. Anyway that’s what I remember 40 years later! However ISTR its main use was zapping people on the bum!

I bought one recently and have seen some benefit. There are several videos on you tube. If you squeeze it so fast it clicks, you are doing it wrong. I hold the LP in my arm, off the table. I pull the trigger in a motion to the center from 12:00, 4:00 and 8:00. I do a squeeze or two. I remove the Zerostat from the record before I let the trigger go. I agree that the reviews on Amazon are mixed, but I have seen some benefit. I also bought the Audioquest anti static brush.

Also, you can see an anti static thread on WBF. I won’t link to it, but the products are below. The products mentioned are a multiple of the cost of the Zerostat and the Audioquest brush combined. I would rather spend money on something else.

It is August in Arkansas and the humidity is palpably real. If I have static in the winter, I may step up to one of these.

I have a mark 3, seems to do a good job. Just hold 12 inches and pull trigger slowly then release slowly, comes with a little knob you can stick on the end, then in the dark test it. You may need to pull the trigger fast or get it to click so it lights up. Once done any dust seems to be removed more easily, obviously with your antistatic dust brush.

The Furutech Destat is the one to have, at a cost. It works well imo.

1 Like

Have an original Zerostat Mk1 that works like a charm. Just have to squeeze the trigger gently so that there are no clicks.

2 Likes

Stop it :pleading_face:
How much! with a smack of his hand against his forehand.

Well,as they say, you get what you pay for.

I’m saving up. Looks like it could be used for curling, has an added bonus😃

2 Likes

My original Zerostat is still working and long since paid for… :slightly_smiling_face:

Might as well keep it… Sometimes its helps, but as others have said - its not a g’teed fix.

I wonder where mine is? I don’t remember throwing it away…

I ‘found’ mine in a box of HiFi/Audio bits & bobs, along with my Watts Dust Bug and Manual Parastat Mk2. And some spikes… and a record clamp… :open_mouth: