Mini Mac

Hello,

Has anybody used a Mini Mac in conjunction with a streamer?

There is no way I can wire my router to my Uniti Qute and was thinking of connecting the Mini Mac via the USB or Ethernet Cable .

Like idiots Apple have no optical link on the machine.

What I now about streaming can be written on the top of a very small pin.

Currently using my Uniti Qute as a DAC in my Av system feeding the signals fro Sky Dish and Blu Ray Player into my Rega

Would like to widen it’s use

Many thanks

Ian

Mac mini ( my model here) has optical out— it uses same physicsl port like the headphone output, you need a special adapter

This is the latest and useful features like an optical out have been removed , would usb to the Naim’s USB or Ethernet work? I seem to remember trying this with an Apple TV and ended up with adapters and massed cabling , plugs which is what I am trying to avoid.

no it wont work by plugging it into the naims ethernet or usb.

1 Like

Are you sure? The headphone is the optical out.

1 Like

This feature was removed in 2018 (or around then).

If the Mac Mini is pre 2018 then as you say there is a mini toslink port included in the headphone/speaker port.

4 Likes

The USB input on a Unitiqute can’t be used to attach a computer.
Ethernet is not a direct point to point connection, you attach all your devices to your network and they find each other. Connect them to your router, either directly or via a switch.

1 Like

Hi. Before getting an NDX I used a mac mini, via usb, into a Dac V1, it was, I thought at the time, excellent. Once I got the NDX, I realised it was no where near as good as a dedicated streamer.
I believe you should be able to get something, at a reasonable price, to do the job that my Dac V1 did, CYP do some reasonably priced bits of kit that’ll ‘get the job done’.

1 Like

Isn’t your router wi-fi enabled? can’t you add a wi-fi switch near your Uniti Qute then connect with an ethernet cable.

1 Like

Thanks, the answer I was looking for

Thanks again

Thanks to all the people who responded - I now have the answer

I used an airport express, worked a treat.

1 Like

I assume you mean a Mac Mini! If you had used the search facility you would find quite a bit on this…

I use a Mac Mini as my music store running Audirvana as renderer. Dedicated USB bus is better sound quality than Apple’s optical output. I originally used with Chord Hugo, having to use a Gustard U12 isolator/convertor because the Hugo was adversely affected by RF from the computer - the Gustard costs around £130 and converts the excellent USB signal into either optical or Toslink or AES/IBU. (I now use Mac Mini / Audirvana with Dave DAC, without needing Gustard.

A few links follow with more info:

1 Like

Many thanks, a lot to take in .

Best wishes

Yep, you are right, @StephenPacker. The unthinkable has happened!!! Should we get the guy who designed it this way examined by the psychiatrist?

1 Like

Other than on the processing front the Mac Mini has been steadily worsening in function and user-friendliness, with features removed at each revision. The ‘late 2012’ version seems to be generally held as the best for balance of features, performance and DIY upgradeability.

2 Likes

Thanks, yes Apple seem to be making it user unfriendly .

Learnt an awful lot thanks to this thread. I have a much better understanding of what I have done wrong, and the solutions.

A very, very big THANK YOU to all who answered

1 Like

Earlier this year I bought a used Mac Mini 2012 to run Roon and Tidal and store my ripped FLACs. No need for anything more fancy. I considered a NUC i7 as a Roon Rock but I don’t have a huge collection of files and the Mac, with an i5 processor is plenty. What’s more, it was £200 cheaper. I have it plugged into the router via an ethernet cable and it serves the music to a NDX2 seamlessly via the network .

3 Likes

me too with a 2014 model.

1 Like