Mini Mac

I’m using a Late 2012 Mac Mini Server as a store for ripped CD’s and to run Roon Core.
I replaced both the internal Apple SSD’s with 2x Samsung EVO 2TB drives, apart from that and a fresh OS install, not much else required.
I ended up going that route rather than getting a dedicated music store/serve device, it sits silently doing its tasks without issue, I imagine you could pick up something similar used for reasonable money, most of them from around that age can take 2x internal drives as well.

1 Like

Similar story over here. I bought my Mac Mini Server in 2011, that is the version with two HDDs. Connected it to several USB DACs over the years and ended up spending 500+ Euro on a USB cable to improve sound. Also used TosLink into my HT processor when I still had that. This all changed when I bought the Atom and connected both the Mac Mini and the Atom to the wired network, sold the USB cable and never looked back. It is much more convenient and it sound even better I think.

In the Energy Saver setttings of the Mac Mini I configured it to go to sleep every day at 1am. And I have now also replaced both HDDs with SSDs and the speed increased and the sound level went down (but it is in a cabinet anyhow). The Mac Mini is only turned on remotely when I use Roon to play music. Otherwise it stays nicely asleep. I have been totally happy with this setup for years now.

1 Like

Just had to look this up: the 2010/2011 models are supported until macOS 10.13, 2012 until 10.14?
Any concerns, when they will stop receiving updates? (They won’t stop working, of course; but won’t get may security updates any more?)

I have a MacBook (Pro) from 2011, and I expect that 10.13 will stop getting updates, when 10.15 is released. (This October?)

Generally I have been happy with Apple updates, though not all the time.

This has been a fantastically useful thread for me, I have learnt so much. I have been a Mac user for some time, it isn’t as cutting edge as Microsoft but is far more stable, user friendly and seamless between devices. This has enabled me clarification of what to do next.

I have a good TT, an excellent CD player and a very good Naim tuner plus a Uniti Qute as a DAC for my Skybox an Blu Ray

Innocent Bystander has shown me the software I need, plus if I want to remain with my Uniti Qute I know it’s limitations…

I.m.o. not really a big deal. Depends of course on the type of activities for which you use the ‘older/outdated’ Mac. I’m running a late 2012 MacMini (headless) only as a Roon-core as well as Minim-server for locally stored audio-files. I expect (and hope🤔) security-exposures are limited, as Apple continuously distributes security updates related to severe security vulnerabilities, even for recently outdated OSX-versions.

1 Like

The most amusing thing about the latest mini’s is they are £800 for a 2 gen old i3.

They do it, because they can.

1 Like

These models can go up to High Sierra. However, with a small patch you can even install Catalina onto them (at least the Server models that I own) as both have 64 bit processors inside (Core2Duo and i7 in my case).

1 Like

2012 Mac mini support Catalina (10.15) without patch. However they won’t support the new Big Sur OS coming this fall.

I have an i7, upgraded the RAM (16go) and installed a Samsung SSD for the OS, and a big HDD for the music/movie. (2 disc inside).

I use Asset Upnp server to stream my local file.

It’s working perfectly.

1 Like

As I personally only use my Mini as Roon Server and nothing else I do not mind too much about which OS version it runs on and also I am not too concerned with security as it sits behind a router with firewall. As long as Roon Server is supported on High Sierra I am fine. :laughing:

3 Likes

I’d tend to agree on these points, even when you can’t upgrade your older Mac Mini, the things it won’t be able to do aren’t likely to be things it needs anyway running as a dedicated music store and server.
Apple will still push out critical fixes relating to security for some years to come even on older versions of Mac OS, you just won’t get all the wizzy new things you don’t actually need.
The Late 2012 Server model I use which has 16GB RAM and a quad core i7 CPU barely breaks a sweat just running a Roon Core, if you were to push it and enable all the advanced DSP and room correction features it may get hot and bothered but I don’t use any of those features personally.
Replacing the stock Apple SSD’s isn’t difficult with the right tools and it gives you a decent amount of storage (I’ve got 2x 2TB) and sufficient processing power to run a compact and stable music server.
When I went through the setup process I found it was a lot cheaper and did all the things I needed vs the alternatives like a Naim Uniti Core, Innuos Zen or Melco which I evaluated.
I also wasn’t willing to jump down the rabbit hole looking for perceived performance benefits associated with dedicated music servers. You can spend 1000’s on those things and in the end they are less configurable, less flexible and harder to maintain and upgrade than something like a Mac Mini or NUC.

6 Likes

I run Kodi on my Macpro, I’m considering to do the same on my mac mini - the 2014? model having the optical out.

I can stream using upnp to it, or my wife can stream using AirPlay to it.

It simply looks better than my Allo Digione in the rack.

1 Like

I have been playing with convolution filters (from REW room correction software) in Roon and even then the i7 CPU of my 2011 Mac Mini Server is not reaching its limits. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I’ve played with the convolution filters and also the parametric filters to adjust for my headphones.

Neither of these bothered the headless mac mini that’s running roon core.

It’s an early 2009 2GHz Intel Core 2 duo so I don’t think the Roon DSP is particularly demanding if this old machine can run it comfortably.

2 Likes

Thanks for that , a lot to take in (as I said) but if you don’t ask - you don’t find out.

Have a clearer idea of what to do and how to do it.

I am also a keen photographer and the idea of a better screen than my 'umble (and elderly ) MacBook Air is attractive .

It is how to make the Mac Mini more user friendly and I have the option of a DAC V1 (new) at a very user friendly price - which should help .

1 Like

You can certainly use a monitor with the Mac Mini - but for music play you don’t need one, or keyboard, instead control set up and control remoteLy (I use the free VNC Tool to do any setting up etc, controlling from either an iPad or my Windows laptop. Headless like this is suggested for best sound quality (though I have never compared for myself) - but of course you can have a monitor and keyboard attached, just turned off/not in use when serious listening if they do indeed make a difference audible to you.

If you’re using your Mac mini for photo editing using Adobe software such as Lightroom, I’d advise against jumping too enthusiastically when Mac OS upgrades come along. Every upgrade seems to break something in the Adobe software. Although this is usually fixed by Adobe pretty quickly, I always monitor the photo forums and wait a while until things are sorted before upgrading.

Roger

Many, many thanks, what you say doesn’t surprise me. I really don’t do too much editing but have been wondering how much of an improvement I could make with Lightroom.

Very much appreciated

Ian

This week I purchased a 2010 Mac Mini server for the attic / home office, which is the second Mini in our house. I have installed Roon Bridge and Kodi on it and it now runs headless connected via USB to my amplifier (through an AudioQuest Jitterbug). The Mac Mini downstairs runs Roon Server and it contains all our music. Using Roon Bridge I can now stream lossless music from my library and TIDAL in the home office.

This works perfectly. Through Kodi (which runs in the background) it is also possible to use AirPlay with the Mini, which my wife often uses when working in the attic. And since that Mac Mini is connected to our old Pioneer 50" plasma TV, it is also possible to watch movies from our NAS using Kodi or by running Netflix from the web browser. It looks like the Raspberry Pi will be sold soon. :laughing:

2 Likes

I wonder whether there is a possibility to have such filters applied to any audio signal which leaves the mac. I have one room mode which I want to cure: F1 which is used often in music and relates to the 4m length of my room.

Yes, I believe there is such an option. I recall having read about that, but don’t recall where at the moment. Will post it here for sure when I find it again.

1 Like