Mini Mac

I have an older Mac Mini with optical; but I prefer the sound from USB into a Meridian Explorer I out to the same WireWorld optical cable, into the Naim DAC.

So, to me, the loss of optical directly from the Mac would be a non-issue.

I have heard that various forms of the “Dragonfly” adaptor are widely liked, as an alternative.

Playing from the Mac through the Naim DAC allows me to use Audirvana+, which I think does not play over Ethernet connection to Naim streamers like your Qute. You need to run Asset or Minim etc. to stream the Naim way.

Nick

Thanks, for years I wondered what on earth was a Dragon :dragon: Fly USB for ?

Getting a very clear idea :bulb: of how this should now work and how I attach and the software needed .

I am so grateful to all those who took the time to respond.

1 Like

Just some additional info: not sure about a Qute, but, using Audirvana on a 2012 MacMini, (within the program) you are able to direct the Audirvana output-stream directly into a NDX2-second generation-streaming device, using Ethernet. And if I remember correctly, this was also possible on my previous NDX-first generation streamer. Maybe just give it a try on your Qute…

2 Likes

@Mike12, I think you are correct. I was thinking that running Audirvana may not function as a UPNP server controllable from the Naim app on iOS or Android devices. Nick

1 Like

Audirvana includes a UPnP server, which it would need to work over a network to a streamer, so if you already have it, that should work. If not, I would go for Asset, rather than buying the more expensive Audirvana license which includes extra features you don’t need if you’re just after a UPnP server.

And there have been reports on this forum of some Naim devices struggling with Audirvana as a UPnP server - IIUC due to the variability of the UPnP standard (or rather lack of standardisation). A free trial would of course identify if this is the case in any given system.

Audirvana’s main strength is as a renderer outputting via USB if everything is fully optimised and DAC either sufficiently blocking of or immune to the inevitable RF, or with an isolator between.

However as a UPnP server I understand Audirvana does have other features of possible value to people that not all UPnP servers have:

1. It can stream online from Tidal and Qobuz and feed that over UPnP.
  2. For those with internet speed insufficient for hi res online streaming and having an MQA capable DAC, Audirvana can do first stage MQA unfold before serving over UPnP, giving you the potential for something close to the original hi res from Tidal’s MQA collection.
  3. Audirvana allows you to use third party DSP plug-ins, e.g. to apply EQ. I think this can be done with on the music as streamed over UPnP and not just on the direct digital output, but can’t confirm as I don’t use that way.

If using Audirvana over UPnP double check volume controls if player as a built in amplifier before pressing play as I have had it set my system to 100% volume on more than one occasion.

My dad bought a Mac Mini M1 and I visited him to help setting it up. The sound using a 3.5 to dual phono cable into his active loudspeakers (some cheap brand) was pretty bad. We plugged in my old AudioQuest Dragonfly Black and this made a massive difference.

Personally I use the mac pro into my SN1s dac and its defo another step up, but the AQ DragonFly Black was a large step.

2 Likes

Yes, in common with computers in general the Mac Mini’s audio capability isn’t hifi, but it can perform well as a hifi store or server by separating off the audio duties.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.