More money than sense? Not any more

Just noting here that there are two ways to address the balance. I admire your choice of reducing the reserves of money vs increasing the reserves of sense :wink:

Hope the install goes smoothly!!

All makes perfect sense, but one follow up, if I may, which is to ask who makes simplinths, and where are they based.

I changed the plinth on my LP12 to a lovely Wenge plinth, made by Solid Sounds in Yorkshire. Wenge is a non-endangered tropical hardwood, which looks quite similar to, but rather darker than, yours. I had hours of fun feeding the wood with lemon oil, and it now positively glows. I thoroughly recommend it, but don’t let the oil come into contact with metal, as it is quite astringent and can act rather like paint stripper. (I did all the oiling before Audio T fitted the new plinth.)

2 Likes

Very pleased for you

If the sound matches the looks , it will be superb

1 Like

Simon Price. He has a Facebook page, and a website Simon Price Furniture. Ashby de la zouch. Also supplies via Cymbiosis. I bought this one used

@TimOopNorth Enjoy. I’m yet to hear Statement with a top vinyl source. Bet it’s off the planet good.

1 Like

And after

How does it sound? Well, to quote a certain Polar Bear, my jaw just hit the floor. Not sure how to describe it but :flushed: in a good way

66 Likes

WOW! :open_mouth:
Nothing else to say but “ENJOY”!

2 Likes

Has the 552 left the house already.

Yes. Am not committed finally for a while but, I suspect if I change my mind Pete will have to source me another 552 as mine will be long sold!

Have to say I was not expecting to be so good so immediately (albeit it will no doubt go down and up and down and up over the coming days and weeks). Really emphasises what terrible quality the sound is at shows. Which is a real shame for the exhibitors

4 Likes

You will remember that I said that to you in the Kudos room at the Acoustica show. I knew that you’d love it. Letting it go would be a terrible wrench Tim!

1 Like

Perhaps a bit previous to say this now but I certainly would agree with this already and am really appreciating it now.

I should add that I am absolutely not missing the Melco

Bella Flec sounding astonishing on cosmic hippo at the moment

5 Likes

Almost makes the 552 sound pedestrian. No doubt the phone lines at Accoustica are jammed with people chasing yours now though… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Running in wise. My experience was that it was great for a day or two then dropped to its lowest point between then and end of week two. Then a non linear line ( as it were) of run in progress slowing at around 6 weeks until 6 months or so.

However it’s so much better than the 552 that even at the lowest points it still beats a fully run in 552 IMO. With respect and apologies to 552 owners. It’s just the reality.

3 Likes

14 Likes

:beers:Merry Xmas Slamdam

1 Like

Expectation bias!
Audio memory not long enough to remember!
Expensive box snobbery!

I have a Tisbury pre around here that would sound JUST as good in a big expensive box.

…just wrap up the S1 and send it to an address I will send you to avoid your disappointment.

:wink:

3 Likes

That’s fantastic!
The Nac 552 really crushed the Nac 52 and Nac 252.

I have a Euro Millions ticket for tonight :crossed_fingers:t4:
First purchase would be a FULL 500 System :grin:

2 Likes

Congrats!! I heard the S1 preamp a few years back at a Chicago dealer. I was listening to ProAc’s with a 552/500. I asked the sales guy if we could switch to the Statement Preamp… he said: “are you sure you want to do this?” :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: It only took a few seconds to hear the massive difference.

3 Likes

But imagine your disappointment. I really couldn’t do that to you :person_shrugging:

2 Likes