More money than sense? Not any more

Potentially also for any maintenance run in the (far) future?
Or are those done on-site at te Statement level?

I know of one person who had a problem with his (full) statement and I am pretty sure it went back to the factory. I did check with the Naim rep who was helping Pete that it was ok to go in the garage (itā€™s dry but with ventilation that means damp air can get in)

1 Like

My S1 had a relay switch go down after two weeks. It went back to the factory and was returned around 10 days later.

I also keep my flight case in the garage. Not much else we can do with something of that weight or dimensions is there?

1 Like

Congratulations Tim, would have loved to have that kind of Santa as well here. But I guess that upgrade will stay a bridge to far for me. But do enjoy it, I guess you will hear some recordings like you never heard them before.

On another note I am still interested why you exchanged your Melco for the Core. I would have assumed also out of reading other posts that the Melco would be the better choice from a pure sound perspective, not taking the comfort of ripping into consideration.

1 Like

The Melco went beyond an acceptable level of hassle / pain to manage meta data. To ā€œdoā€ the metadata as I understand it, I would have to buy software from someone not affiliated with Melco, load it onto a laptop and then access the metadata. With the Core it is all doable with the app. Just so much easier. The Melco approach reminds me of the cartoon where someone says that they chose records due to the inconvenience and the expense

I am sure there are plenty of people who donā€™t understand why I should have a problem with melcoā€™s approach. I just found it really unpleasant and awkward. Designed by computer geeks for computer geeks. Not me!

4 Likes

Already haveā€¦

2 Likes

This is really useful to know, Tim. I have an NS01 and have long been wondering how long it will go on. Aside from its age and that the firmware is based on (I think) Win XP, which is no longer supported, I do think itā€™s a really well thought out device, having 2x 2TB HDD (the second being a backup to the first) and a tray loading system. Metadata can be handle through N-serve or the DTC.

I had been wondering if, in the event of failure of the NS01, Iā€™d stick with Naim (with a Core) or switch to Melco, given how some have reported better sound with the latter. However, your findings expressed here lead me to the conclusion that it HAS to be Core.

Would you mind telling me which Samsung 870 EVO SSD you chose in the end? Like you, I see a few different offerings on Amazon, all 2TB, but with somewhat different prices.

BTW Enjoy the Statement S1!

1 Like

If I switch the lights off and close my eyes, my system sounds exactly like yours doesā€¦ā€¦ā€¦No!..ā€¦Really! :wink:

2 Likes

Yes indeed. Probably not even possible to carry around a machine gun (heater) or those nasty chord cables while uttering if I want your opinion Iā€™ll give it to you

The Innuos range have excellent ripping and SQ. I found the Core poor for ripping when it first came out, and then there were no updates to add the missing functionality for editing. Some of this may have been fixed. People also like the Innuos PhoenixNet switch.

Happy Xmas

Phi

4 Likes

It must depend on which kind of music we are listening to. I donā€™t rip anymore and buy only albums on Qobuz or Bandcamp, in AIFF format. Mostly modern jazz from now.
I have around 1,5 k albums and maybe 50 albums without cover. It doesnā€™t bother me . I compared the Uniticore to my Melco N1zh2. From the first seconds the Melco appears on another level. The N10 must be still better.
But I understand that those with multi discs boxes of classical music donā€™t want to bother with a pc to sort the correct metadata. Fortunately I am not concerned.
For optimum sound quality and friendliness of using, and need to rip often, I would go for the Innuos Zenith or Statement.

1 Like

There is quite a long list of things the Core cannot do, that the 1st gen Naim servers can, so I would suggest you have a good play around with a Core before you commit. If my Unitiserve dies I would probably go for Innuos.

3 Likes

I actually bought a QVO which I perhaps shouldnā€™t have - the EVO is what Naim recommend - the QVO has a slightly shorter lifespan than the EVO. I have no idea of the differences between the various models of EVO

1 Like

I may be in a minority of one, but Iā€™ve twice tried Melco in my system; N1A/2 and N1ZH/2. The ā€œHiFi ā€œ aspects were a noticeable improvement over my old Unitiserve, but I consistently found it so unengaging that I didnā€™t want to listen to the music it made. Iā€™m stumped as to why, but this was my experience.
I now have a Core fitted with a Samsung 870EVO and Iā€™m very happy. I do wonder a bit if I should have tried an Innuos, but i know Melco doesnā€™t work for me musically.

3 Likes

Ok I get it, I am managing all the downloads, ripping etc on my computer and then transfer the files to the Melco. But even if I wouldnā€™t itā€™s relatively easy to manage the tagging via your computer when itā€™s connected to the same network as the Melco. I have two 10TB Melcoā€™s and I am very happy with the sound quality and the handling. Only the yearly licensing of my mimserver is a bit an annoyance as I use it to transcript the files on the fly from FLAC to Wavā€¦.

Very nice Tim - I am sure Pete must love you lots. Though he probably found the heavy lifting a challenge!

Wishing to avoid being accused of continuing the thread drift, Iā€™d just thank @Filipe, @frenchrooster, @ChrisSU, @TimOopNorth and @KJC for all your replies. Maybe itā€™s not so straightforward. Unfortunately my local retailer hasnā€™t suggested anything other than Core, so itā€™s difficult to experience the options. I will need to cast the net wider. Thanks all and Happy Christmas.

5 Likes

I am not quite sure if I did the right thing choosing the Core rather than Innuos zenith mk3 (saw one at a good price). The innuos statement would have been too much for me at the moment and not sure if I have the space for it being two boxes

3 Likes

As others have said a core is the last thing i would have especially in a system like yours tim

I loved the innuos softwareā€¦ā€¦but did not sound as good as my Core, so bought the Melco and now just put up with its awful software.
Any Naim demo with Jason et al uses a Core, so you are not slumming it. Just enjoy for the moment.

6 Likes