Most hated song

Many threads on here about great albums, long lost gems etc.

However, I have just one song that I hate so much that the mearest hint of hearing it anywhere is guarenteed to make me switch channels, radio stations, walk out of where it is being played.

The demon is: -

Seasons in the sun by Terry Jacks. It is the creepiest piece of music I have ever heard.

What song do you loath?

5 Likes

Easy. Has always been Sugar Sugar by the Archies.

I have no idea why, but I loathed it when it came out &, if anything, the loathing has grown over the years!

1 Like

Come on Eileen, Denys Midnight Runners. Hurt my finger on the radio on/off button once. Couldn’t get to stop playing quick enough!

16 Likes

100% in agreement @Ackers . Awful, awful song.

However, “Fairytale of New York” by Pogues/McColl, “Bloody Brown Bloody Eyed Bloody Girl” by Van Bloody Morrison, Queen’s “We Will Rock You” and “True” by Spandau Ballet run it very close. All examples of cretinous swill disguised as music.

12 Likes

Anything by Paul McCartneyfrom Wings onward.

6 Likes

Lovely Day, Bill Withers is another absolute diatribe of a song.

I can see this thread as being the musical equivalent of hitting a tree with a frying pan. Feels good to let of some steam.

3 Likes

Oooh, that’s such a lovely song.

…lovely song, lovely song. Lovely sooooooonnnnngggg.

G

12 Likes

Mull of Kintyre by Wings.
Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears
Anything by Ed Sheeran especially Galway Girl

5 Likes

@TheKevster

Rubbish. All pop/rock classics compared to Sugar Sugar!

We built this city, on rock & roll!
Instant headache!

Like Jefferson Starship but hate that song!

3 Likes

Anything by Cilla Black or Roger Whittaker!

1 Like

2 choices:

When I’m Calling You by Slim Whitman. My father had a phase and drove me completely mad. Imagine wanting to listen to Buzzcocks and Stranglers but getting Slim Whitman

The Power of Love by Jennifer Rush. When I was a student the next door neighbour’s wife left him and for weeks on end he played this bloody song day and night. I was ready to commit murder

7 Likes

Anything by Dire straits genesis Rick wakeman yes or similar

3 Likes

@MichaelF

In the 1980’s one of the Hi Fi monthly’s, perhaps Popular Hi Fi?, quite often included Roger Whittaker 45s & EPs as free gifts because ‘of his clear vocals & good recording technique’.

Naim probably recommended them to demonstrate the fine qualities of their equipment!

1 Like

The UK national anthem :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11 Likes

Bye Bye Baby, Bay City Rollers. In fact anything by the Bay City Rollers.

3 Likes

I’m a Barbie Girl…obviously.

7 Likes

Reet bleeding Petite makes my sh*t itch.

1 Like

This post was supposed to reply to the OP - Seasons In The Sun, Terry Jacks.

Except… as small children we used to paraphrase that song with a tune to make another naughty childish song. I am not sure if anybody else sang this down south, maybe it was just a Kent thing.

“We have joy, we have fun flicking bogeys at the sun, but the sun was too hot and turned them into snott.”

Didn’t really work very well, but it summed that up.

4 Likes