Motorbikes

More sort of a Z1.5.

My very soon to be 21 Years old Suzuki TL1000RX.
I have owned this beast from new. It has never seen a track and has only done around 12k miles. It still gets the old heart pumping when I take it out for a blast on a dry sunny day :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

Great pair of books.

The second one especially; he was 70 when he rode around the world a second time.

1 Like

I hired this Ural combo in Madeira in Feb 2020 just before everything went pear shaped. Great fun!

5 Likes

What’s with the fish picture?

Mistake. Bit of digit dither! I only intended to upload the Ural :crazy_face:

:+1:
Thought you were going to talk about riding the bike into the sea and ended up finding Nemo😁

Found a pic of my first bike…

5 Likes

And my second and last - rode it for years!

7 Likes

DKW?
Never seen one of these before

East German circa 1968

I remember the makers, just not the model.
If memory serves me, I think they made a rotary engined bike, probably around the 1970’s

Nice old bike, it’s either a Honda C92 or C95, circa 1964. 125 or 150cc respectively. They were a very well made little bike which had far superior performance to bigger British bikes.
I had a CB92, a sportier version of the bike in the photo in the early 70’s when I was in 6th form at school. It was a great little bike at the time, and now very collectible. A good example will sell for over 10k!

It was a DKW Vicky. 2 stroke of course but with a clutch lever and 3 speed twistgrip gear selector. Only a moped but really nippy and a 2 seater.

Re the Honda, I had a similar looking bike, a Benley 305 cc C77 perhaps? Yes 305, not 350, it was basically a bored out C72 250. It would surprise the cool kids on their sportier looking CB 72’s. :slight_smile:

154cc built in 1965. I bought it in 1972 and rode it until 1978. You are right about it’s performance. An indicated 85 when my fathers BSA 175cc Bantam would struggle to hit 50! Really sophisticated with its 2 cylinder, 4 stroke OHC, electric start and indicators - a real sign of things to come from Japan

Must admit I’m staggered anywhere would rent out outfits.

They, frankly speaking, should be illegal. You approach them (if having never ridden one) assuming it’s like a motorbike, after all the controls are the same and it looks like a bike.

You start it up and sit on it. All feels very familliar.

Then you go to pull away and as you accelerate it turns towards the side with the sidecar (generally that would be the curb). You panic brake and suddenly you’re pushed in the other direction on to the wrong side of the road… the faster you go the higher the affect.

You come up to a corner and suddenly, without warning the sidecar is in the air… you go into the opposing corner and the rear wheel eventually loses traction as the bike forces itself against the sidecar…

After my first journey-from-hell (Wolverhampton to Bath, had bought the outfit on eBay and rode it home) I slowly learned how to pilot it. Great fun as you say but if they were around in larger numbers they’d surely be legislated against!

I rode/drove my father’s BSA B52 - not a bomber but a 500cc single - combination on many occasions. Different from a bike but more stable than a Reliant Supervan! And yes, I rode one of those too!

In Madeira we hired a driver - my wife in the sidecar and me on pillion. It was the only way she would agree to the trip. Seems she did not trust me not to go over a cliff.

After riding a Panther outfit with a double adult Blacknell on a Watsonian 4 chassis for a couple of years my girlfriend pursuaded me to drive her car, Reading to Winchester, every time I changed gear it lurched to the side as my instinct to compensate for the chair kicked in on something that didn’t lean on corners. Apart from that is was a bit like playing a video game, the Renault 11 gave no feedback from the road that I could detect. I went back to something I felt in control of after that.

This isn’t my old one but I had to look twice, the bike’s a 650 whereas mine was a 600, the chair’s the same even down to the roof rack, I can almost smell it.

4 Likes

I’ve never been able to understand the concept of a motorbike outfit, they have all the disadvantages of a motorbike such as frostbite in cold weather and getting wet in rain, combined with all the disadvantages of a car; the two-tracked width can’t filter in traffic.
Can only assume it’s why they’re rarely seen on the roads these days (?)

1 Like