Moving on from Naim

He already left Naim audio as he bought the Nad, but should not left the Naim forum.

Many people still have some Nac a5, a Nait 1, or fraim chips stored somewhere.

No reason at all to not post just because you’ve moved on. As mentioned some people post often with no Naim at all. My big Naim system has been resting in storage for years and I’ve posted a lot about the non Naim system used in its place.

Besides, you mentioned NAD. I think more than one senior Naim designer came from NAD. I’ve always thought of NAD as sort of “Naim Lite”

Ridiculous…to do so from Naim to Nad it’s like to move from Merceds car to Nissan

1 Like

Possibly not the best comparison. The favourite car I have owned, a Nissan Primera. My understanding, the engine was developed from a design given to Datsun/Nissan (that still has elements in current models) by Mercedes.

5 Likes

Not necessarily at all - as good as the Atom is, it doesn’t satisfy the OP’s requirements as well as the NAD which is one of NAD’s higher end products I assume and is far more versatile in the OPs setup and usage.

I suspect the Naim build quality might be better, and a fair bit of Atom cost may go into build quality and components which will be made in comparatively fewer numbers than NAD produce and more expensive per item.

There are many companies such as NAD who have traditionally produced excellent value for money budget/entry level hi-fi, but they also increasingly make higher end equipment such as this which I’m sure will more than hold its own against similarly priced goods.

The car analogy probably doesn’t work well - little point having a 2 seater performance car because of the name if you actually need an excellent value larger vehicle for 7 people. That doesn’t quite work either!

1 Like

Not as ridiculous as this statement.

2 Likes

I don’t think Meni quite ‘gets’ your usage and why the NAD is better for you.

I reverted my Nova firmware last night to an older build from 2017 (no, this is not possible for the vast majority) and it just sounds gorgeous - unfortunately it loses several new features but even humble Airplay sounded excellent.

Just comes across as brand snobbery to me he’s making an assumption it can’t be as good as a Naim without even hearing it. If it didn’t match or better the Atom I would not have gone for it but it does and actually surpassed it for me in some areas especially the low and top end where I feel the Atom has always struggled in my room and to my ears.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree.

I’d slso say the beauty of this forum is that we can provide honest opinions on all manner of brands/equipment which is a real credit to Naim.

1 Like

Nissan Primera…brings back many memories…a great car… I worked at NMUK (the Sunderland plant) when the car was launched/built…had a few of them. :oncoming_automobile:

2 Likes

Really matters nil what some one has as their hi fi or what others think what really matters is they enjoy their music.

7 Likes

Coincidentally I switched an ageing Arcam avr for the NAD T778 about a year ago and couldn’t be more pleased with it. I also have an Oppo 205 which works very well for both my audio and video needs. I still have a Unitiserve ssd which doesn’t get so much use since I discovered the joys of streaming.

4 Likes

How do you find the Oppo for streaming audio?

I’ve been impressed. The NAD has BluOS which provides the streaming services I was interested in. I can also listen to Paradise Radio in MQA audio.

1 Like

Thanks for all your help and advice over the years.
Do keep in touch with forum @CrystalGipsy

2 Likes

I have a Nova powering a pair of PMC (something or others) and the sound is excellent. I got the PMC speakers to replace a pair of large Audio Vectors that sounded a bit dull, even to my ears. I put the Audio vectors into storage.

We moved house and a new room became available so I thought I would take the Audio Vectors out and try them again. But I needed an amp and source etc… For some reason that I still do not understand I bought a Bluesound Powernode and it drives the old Audio Vectors beutifully. A rich and smooth sound and I could not be happier. It turns out that all the “HiFi” circuits in the Powernode are provided by their sister company NAD. Just like most of the digital ciruitry in the NAD T778 are provided by Bluesound.

I am very impressed by the Powernode. It has certainly made me very happy not to have dumped the old Audio Vectors. I am sure my opinion is not very qualified. My conclussion is that however good Naim is, NAD is giving them a serious piece of competition at the top of the HiFi totempole…

The bluesound ecosystem is quite extensive and lens itslelf a lot more to the new “Spotify” and “Always On” life style we live in.

I am watching this space… Interesting times.

5 Likes

As long as you are happy. Then it is the right system for you. :ok_hand::blush:

5 Likes

I have also recently moved from a Naim 500 system to a new manufacturer with a much simpler system in terms of box count, cables, leads etc. I am now the owner of an Accuphase system which sounds just as good. I still have the Superlumina speaker cables and Muso 2, so hopefully will still be allowed on this Forum?

5 Likes

There are many people who post here who are ex Naim users, have a mixture of brands (don’t we all these days?) or occasionally have never used Naim equipment at all.

No reasons why you should have any Naim kit to participate as far as I can see, and hopefully there will be mutual benefits for Naim and non-Naim owners seeing discussions of various ‘systems’.

3 Likes