Moving on from Naim

Mixture of brands , ‘dont we all’ as @Alley_Cat mentions…I have 3 ‘proper’ systems and a couple of cheap kitchen systems. All together about 12 manufacturers, I haven’t bothered counting the numerous makes of cables and accessories in all the systems, but overall the total is 20+. Main system is 6 brands.
Listening to my 2nd system now…Neat, Sony and Ariston. They all sound pretty good.

2 Likes

I agree with this. I have an older NAD receiver that sounds terrible. I’m sure their new stuff is far better, tho. I would have thought maybe a move from Naim to MSB, or the like would make more sense.

Having said that, there’s no need to stop posting here unless the OP is looking for a reason to leave.

I think the assumption that nothing can better Naim in any respect ever simply doesn’t reflect how the world is. At the end of the day you love what you love and what sounds terrible to one person might be exactly what another is looking for.

I anticipate leaving the Naim ecosystem finally sooner rather than later. I would love to stay but current products simply don’t meet my requirements on lots of fronts and it is what it is.

There is so much value from the forum on so many fronts I find it hard to imagine leaving as the quality of advice on subjects well away from audio is top quality.

3 Likes

Which I guess is why there is a fair sprinkling of people who no longer own anything Naim.

2 Likes

And there’s the “cheers” factor.

“You wanna be where everybody knows your name”.

.sjb

4 Likes

As opposed to knowing your Naim!

3 Likes

If one sell one’s stuff and leave the forum does one become The Man with no Naim?

Sigh it is much to early for THAT kind of humour, but there it is…

4 Likes

They become Naimless :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Some may become future Naim in waiting

1 Like

They become Those Who Shall Not Be Naimed.

6 Likes

I immediately had to think of Johnny Cash’s “One Piece at a Time”

1 Like

All the best!

After over 30 years of Naim ownership I have downsize from a six box to just 1 ( yes just the one box). Gone from CD to streaming.Very surprise that this one box with the optional streaming module can sound just as good if not better. Thanks to Naim for providing me with wonderful music over those years.I will still visit the website because I have learned a lot from you knowledgeable members.The integrated amplifier I am referring to is the CH Precision i1. Did anyone guess that?

2 Likes

One box but near 40k. What had it replaced ?
Is there a streamer dac option ? I am curious.

No speakers?
No music store?

Yes I have the optional streamer dac fitted as well. This replace a CD555/552/500 all DRed.

2 Likes

Speakers are the Kudos Titan 808 and still using Superlumina cables. Using Qobuz .

Well after 4 months, I have turned tail and now have a purely two channel system and no surround and TBH could not be happier from an SQ standpoint and ease of use. It took a a big decision after having a 5.1 system for the last 15 years but music needs in the end were more pressing.

The NAD T778 i bought sounded very very good I can not knock it here at all and wasnt part of the decision was more than happy with it.It was unfortunately plagued with hardware failures which where unaceptable for such a pricey unit. Having had a few replacements I got my money back and wont ever be looking at NAD again.

After much research I could not find anything in budget to suit my music and 5.1 needs so decided to focus back on Music and go pure stereo. As my Atom was long gone and I was not keen to return to another as they are too expensive now for what they are and I was never overwhelmed by it. The rest of Naims range are out of budget and I wanted something different and something that suited my tastes more music wise.

After careful decision I am now an owner of a Marantz Model 40n and its matching CD player . Which whilst not being Roon Ready works perfectly fine using a UPnP bridge, infact a Roon user created one specifically for HEOS using LMS2UPnP as its base. As I am streaming less from Qobuz andI have been buying more CD’s it made sense to get the matching CD player.

To me it sounds just so good best I have had at home. Its exceptionaly well built and god its heavy. It has way more grunt and grip than the Atom ever had. Being a fullsize amp its got space to breath and keep things isolated so well put together inside. I had never considered Marantz but as it was in budget and had network capabilites and all reviews I read where very positve and noted aspects of the SQ that I liked, not read one bad one at all. So after hearing it I was blown away and I think it looks absolutely fabulous and has minimum fuss in my unit. No fancy screens at all to distract me. It does have great PRaT very similar to Naim here that I like that is has none of the fowardness Naim pocess as it tends to air on bright in my room. It handles the bass better for me too not as good as the NAD did, class D wins here but overall it has a richness that keeps me listening for hours upon hours.

So still Naimless and wont be back to Naim, well not until I feel I can afford it, but thought I would update you all. Funny I really dont miss surround sound as much as I thought as the Model 40n really sounds fabulous via its HDMI ARC input. Next steo for me is too add a sub.

Ta Ta for now.

11 Likes

Ultimately it’s about being content with what you’re listening to and not a contest.

I can’t believe how much I enjoy streaming from my Mac Mini to a Topping D10s DAC in my home office to an old Philips iPod/iPhone dock I bought for around half-price years ago. Audio system cost around £300 excluding the Mac and it’s great as well as simple.

Daughter has just got her original Homepod back as well as another I bought for a stereo pair - plagued with wi-fi dropouts, no analogue in/Bluetooth and limited in the extreme even if they can sound brilliant.

Music is always about enjoying the music not what it’s played on.

11 Likes

Exactly, well said.

3 Likes