Munich show 2024

I had a conversation along those lines with a neighbour in our hamlet. He asked about the hifi and the cost. On being told he said that it was more than he paid for his house. A sobering thought.

1 Like

Hi @BertBird

Have you met any representative from Dutch distributor over there?
Mr. Mark Raggett was there too (first photo) I see. I met him once at the Audio Show iEear Tilburg.

No didn’t know he was the Dutch distributor

That’s why I wish reviewers would would at least make some comparison between the top tier pieces and a more reasonable (and likely to own) piece .Although even the stenheim 2.5 is unlikely to be considered, the 5 or reference is certainly beyond my consideration but currently have no idea whether they have similar qualities or not. A company like yg - how does the peak line sound? most of the reviews are of the regular line. ON paper, the lesser speakers should be similar, but it would be good to have some idea if that is how it works out

2 Likes

He is not and wasn’t, but in Munich audio show were representatives from Latham Audio - that’s why I was asking.

Among this lot of helpful information I care to mention that the D minor Piano Concerto is by a Johannes Brahms. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@BertBird I’d like to thank you for your immense work and efforts you spent to share your impressions from the show! Adding the music played, and then also sharing if you consider the music adequate to highlight the qualities (good or bad) of a given system is a fantastic way to make all the many impressions given more relatable to us.

It must be very exhausting for you - so a great thank you for that!

Last year, the Finest Audio Show Vienna, organised by the same team as the High End Munich, featured the SoundsClever concept, which stands for ingeniously assembled audio systems priced at no more than 5,000€, which I enjoyed a lot. It brought back memories from my first High End I ever visited as a student, where a budget-friendly system composed of a Project turntable, a Musical Fidelity B-1 amp and Triangle Titus (IIRC) speakers blew me away, oh those times… Anything similar this year in Munich (be it this concept or just affordable systems that you found enjoyable)?

Again, a big thanks!

6 Likes

Burmeister Part 1

They where introducing the BX100 speaker. It was combined with there typical music server don’t remember the identity anymore, 280 amps and 175lp

Carolin No - nice fast and controlled….
By the way Burmeister do always a real demo, so even if you don’t get warm cheeks, always nice to join.

6 Likes

Burmeister Part 2

Trondheim Solists - rounded, warm…, I have to say the Burmeister sound has improved over the last years. It’s not as clinical anymore as it was in the past.
Hooverphonic - I would have liked a bit more scale for this one
Fink - bass is good controlled, I belief I hear less reverb on the song as I remember, or perhaps I am too sensitively hearing and have the wrong reference in my head, while listening.
Son LUX - is a nice testrack again. One critic could be that it’s perhaps sounding a bit too controlled, while it might not be fair as the song is new to me…
Ella Fitzgerald - on vinyl, I missing a bit the edges…, might rock a bit more in my opinion.

7 Likes

Tad - Part 1

Last year I was blown away by the smaller but expensive speakers of them, spectacular sound for the size. This time they had different speakers on display, with similar electronics as it seems…
Sara Bareilles - voice seems to come deep in the middle behind the speakers, a soundstage which is very 3D
Minnesota Orchestra - quite present, again a good sound stage… is the triangle not a bit too far behind in the mix or was it intended like this

5 Likes

Tad - Part 2

Fink again - but I like it here more than with Burmeister, a bit more life and color to it, Burmeister was too controlled in comparison
Film Orchestra - drums fast and realistic in specific drum sounds

6 Likes

Meridian

Ary - bad bad room, and then throwing all kind of things at it to still try to impress……, waste of show money, a disgrace

3 Likes

Perlisten

Apologies I didn’t make a picture of the system, so just added a picture of the next system

BYU Vocal Point - again wrong setup as it is always with this distributor, a lot of horsepower expensive and wrong room setup… so echoing of middle and low tones
Billie Elisch - nice

4 Likes

Maybe delete this post or change the picture?

Didn’t knew they still existed…

1 Like

Yea I did. With k10 ProAc speakers. Couldn’t be happier.

1 Like

They certainly haven’t wasted money on bling there. That must be the blandest looking 31k deck I’ve ever seen. Hope it sounds better than it looks. Lights out listening only.

yeah but it kind of goes together with an iphone.

Cheaper than Linn LP12 50 ( 60k)

3 Likes

Wilson Audio / D’Agostino - Part 1

I will say it only once more again, this distributor has insanely good audio system, but they have the worst room positioning on the show. So you hear somehow the potential, but never get to experience the full capability of the system.

Avi Kaplan - good also the small details come through in the right proportions

6 Likes

Wilson Audio / D’Agostino Part 2

Trevor Horn - new recording, some of the sounds is coming from high, so that’s a bit dissapointing as it would be close to ideal the spot I have in front of the system…
Geoff Castelucci - a bit bloomy, but emotions coming accross on a nice manner
Ghost Rider - could have a bit more reverb, a bit too controlled, but of course at the same time quite impressive on such a system

4 Likes