Munich show 2024

Dynaudio has announced four new products. Specifications and pricing not yet released.

Contour 20 Black Edition: Think of a Confidence 20 in a Contour 20 cabinet. Aka Confidence 10? Contour 20 BE will feature Esotar 3, upgraded crossover and tweaks to the woofer. Estimated price: 8.500€.

Contour Legacy: The Heritage Special gets bigger and better with 2x woofers. Limited to 1000 copies. Estimated price closer to 14.000€.

The Bookshelf: A standalone product, limited production, but not a limited edition. The unique cabinet will be a homage to Japanese wood and craftsmanship. It will feature components similar to Confidence 20. No guess on pricing but I would assume more than 13.000€.

The Confidence 20A: an amplified version of Confidence 20 in a white cabinet using electronics from their Core line, not the Focus line. No guess on pricing but I would assume more than 13.000€.

The Press Release is on Dynaudio’s website. More tidbits of information can be found by Googling.

4 Likes

If you delete the meters then this one would have a very similar look to the old Roberts STA50 integrated amp from New Zealand.

1 Like

Technics looks better.

Yeah, it’s the meters, the ugly up and down switches and all those dreadful shiny knobs. Otherwise, it looks great.:smiley::smiley::smiley:

Roger

1 Like

If only it was that simple. The best way to describe it when you meet someone for the first time and think they have a weird kookie face somehow but you can’t put a finger on which feature seems wrong.

I like silver things with VU meters. I don’t like that Bow Technologies amp though. It seems too much trying to ride the wave of something as opposed to some other brands that have those things baked into their DNA.

I rather like it. It reminds me of the Pioneer SA 5300 that I owned in the 70s. It was my first proper Hifi amplifier.

6 Likes

The SA 5300 has a balanced symmetry within each isolated side. The Bow doesn’t. I can sort of look at the Pioneer and fathom the designer’s (more like engineer’s) thought process. With the Bow I haven’t a clue.

Apertura will show his top Enigma II speakers. My favorite brand.

Pic from Apertura.

Does this Luxman looks better ? Not sure

5 Likes

I see Steven Wilson is the guest of honour this year.

3 Likes

It‘s only 3 miles from where I live, I suppose I should really drop in again :metal:

2 Likes

It certainly does to me.

2 Likes

:sweden: 21 hours ago,.Swedish Marten finished loading the car to travel to Munich.

There are exciting products in the car, including the premiere of a new top speaker.

10 Likes

These boxes with multiple switches and dials and meters remind me of my “hifi” of old which I’d much rather forget. And we mostly control our hifi with a tablet these days, don’t we? Perhaps have a volume control, a source switch and a headphone socket but otherwise give me a minimalist aesthetic over excessive bling any day. It was one reason I switched over to Meridian many years ago.

I do wonder if simple designs ask a lot more of the designer, though. But get it right and I think it helps to sell a product as Apple surely knows.

Roger

2 Likes

These are specially Japanese or Korean designs, who like the old fashioned looking fascias, with a lot of buttons.
Leben, Luxman, Technics….Hifi Rose.

The champion for the biggest number of buttons was probably the US Cello Palette. One of the best pre in the 80’s.

3 Likes

Not their best effort, but at least it has a sense of balance and not so many different sized knobs

The accessibility point, has been made a few times on here. Not that app control necessarily implies poor accessibility, but physical controls can certainly help some interact with their hifi gear more easily.

I happen to love the brushed metal, toggles and meters look, but unashamedly as they remind me of my parents Sony hifi when I was growing up! :slight_smile:

With the meters it’s not dissimilar to a Technics SU7300 amplifier I used to own. Rather attractive though IMO.

[image]

Image from vintagechief .com

12 Likes

At least you don’t see apparent screws as in the Unitra.

I’d still love a good technics. When I was for the first time seduced by a shop and trapped in the arms of a dealer he explained Naim to me as the opposite of Technics (technics was the standard in my family).