Munich show 2024

What is this exactly?

Naim pulled the plug on the Snaxo active crossover for Kudos speakers. So Kudos decided to design their own. The interesting design aspect is unlike the Snaxo it has no power supply, just sits between pre and power amps.
Judging by some of the design aspects mentioned in the Kudos blog, its well thought out and unlikely to be cheap.

1 Like

A passive crossover with a very clever design. The result of this is that it doesn’t need mains power.

If it sounds great it’s a no brainier for me Gazza as my Superline needs my Supercap back which is currently loaned to the Snaxo 3/6. Price to be revealed tomorrow but it’s thought to be @ £6k :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

It in some ways should not sound as good…….but i have a funny feeling it may sound better for some systems/people letting more detail through. Hope it works out for you……6k sounds about right.

1 Like

…by using an ex-Naim engineer. Makes sense.

2 Likes

Agreed. All reports have been extremely positive. What might be interesting for 552 owners is how will say active 500’s/350’s and Kudos speakers with the new crossover compare to S1/500 or 350’s passive. I know that it breaks the rules of the upgrading hierarchy but the active upgrade I did recently compared well to the pre upgrade. Maybe without the S1 it wouldn’t have been so profound :thinking:.

3 Likes

I think my dealer still has a 362 lurking in a cupboard, so i hope we have an interesting demo doing a comparison. Derek would also have a 362 for testing, so Sigao unlikely to be worse……maybe different?

1 Like

I’ve heard from a reliable semi neutral source that it’s a lot better. The cables needed are a pain as for almost everyone it will mean re terminations or new cables. I asked kudos if DIN connections were an option. No was the answer. I will post a pic of its back panel.

1 Like

Stereo phono’s in and also phono’s out.

4 Likes

I just glanced at when i saw it…….see what you mean, an odd choice.

1 Like

Derek G said that it’s a crossover aimed at Linn amplifier users etc also hence the phono’s to keep it universal :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

That’s a passive crossover then. Just happens to be sitting before the power amps instead of after them attached to speakers. Would be interesting to see if it was any different from the one actually in the passive Kudos speakers just put in a box.

2 Likes

We can’t use three/six power amps to drive 808’s passive using the speaker’s internal crossover.

It’s rather different to a regular passive crossover. Derek tried to explain it a bit to me but I confess I’m still not sure I understand exactly how it works. However, the fact that Roy was involved in the design is very encouraging, and it did sound like a rather novel and clever solution.

5 Likes

I’m not saying it’s not good. I’m saying it’s a passive crossover. That’s all. Unless it runs on batteries.

3 Likes

Agreed, I was also wondering where the power cord needs to plug in … I cannot conclude anything else than that this unit getting its power from the music signal … a passive crossover

Kudos were showing and demonstrating this in prototype form at the 2024 Bristol show and I included it in part 2 of my show report on Soundstage Global. The intriguing bit for me (apart from the unusual lack of mains power) is the fact that they are offering plug in DIN modules to enable the crossover to be matched to almost any amplifier. This unusually wide applicability is a real strength I think.

JonathanG

2 Likes

It doesn’t need the power handling of the crossover in the speakers does it? So it certainly wouldn’t need large (expensive) components. Do you mean the same circuit design? Or literally the same x-over?

I recently when to a Kudos demo of this at Cultured Audio in Witney.

They played some tracks into the T808s without it connected. Then played the same tracks with it connected.

Big noticeable improvement; more control and clarity, bigger soundstage, better decay, bass was tidied up.

Some of the things I like about it;

• Adjustable for any Kudos loudspeaker
  • As its passive and doesn’t need a power supply could make it easier to fit into some systems

Wish them al the best with it.

DG…

6 Likes