Music Chain

Gorilla always makes me think of Godzilla by Blue Öyster Cult, which is on their album Spectres

Blue Bay Blues by Richard Clapton from his album Girls in the Avenue.

Behind blue eyes from Who’s next? by the Who. Funny, I nearly posted a Who song instead of Godzilla in my last post!

2 Likes

I think that Pete Townshend’s playing of a synthesiser on ‘Who’s Next’ was its first use on a mainstream rock record. (Walter/Wendy Carlos had been the first to use one at all, in the ‘Switched On Bach’ series of recordings.)

The Who let themselves down with the cover photo of that album, though. A puerile ‘joke’, which hasn’t lasted well.

Curved Air famously used the VCS3 synthesiser on their first album Air Conditioning, released in 1970. But I suppose it depends what you mean by mainstream rock, Curved Air, arguably not being as mainstream as the Who.

Thanks for that clarification/correction.

I don’t know Curved Air at all. I have certainly heard that claim being made for ‘Who’s Next’ more than once.

Thinking back, the “Who’s Next” tour might have been the first occasion when a band used a recording as part of a live show. I remember when I saw them on that tour, Pete Townsend said something about the (I thought it was organ, that could’ve been synth) track: it might have been something to do with Keith Moon having to wear headphones so that he kept in time with it. (That was the days before ‘click tracks’.)

One thing I understood was a first on that tour, was shining lights at the audience: a row of, I think, 10kW lights that they turned on at various points, half blinding me – but the band could see the audience!

No takers in a week, so I’ll do another one. Linking both the Who and blue:

Eddie Cochran’s original Summertime Blues. I prefer the Who’s version from Live at Leeds, but this isn’t bad at all.

Mungo Jerry, In The Summer Time…

1 Like

I haven’t heard that in a long while! Nice one.

Meanwhile, opening the seasonal door wider…

The winter and the summer by the Strawbs, from their album Bursting at the seams

1 Like

Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs It’s Almost Summer

Not yet it isn’t!

Aztec Camera - Walk Out To Winter

Double points?

1 Like

Well it is here.

1 Like

Golden Autumn Day by cranky Van Morrison from his Back on Top album

The first of Autumn by Enya, from her album A day without rain.

1 Like

I have never heard of that Van Morrison album. How do you rate it, compared to some of his earlier classics?

Wrong person targeted! I,m not keen on Van Morrison. I think you intended that for @Pete_the_painter

My apologies. I have no idea how that could have happened. In order to respond to a post, I always just click on the black ‘Reply’ arrow at the bottom right side of the message. Which is what I did, as I don’t know how else I would respond.

How very odd!