Music On Special Offer

That’s all that’s worth with Coverdale on vocals. As for Hoff recommendations, who cares what that lot think!?!

Hyperion have a summer sale with quite a few CDs (or CD quality downloads) for only £7. There are lots of good albums.

3 Likes

Not bothered who is on vocals, it’s not my ‘cup of tea’ but thought it may be of interest to others.
As far as the Hoff forum, it’s given me a lot more advice than this one for LP pressings etc. They tend to be more focused on the music than the never ending ‘upgraditus’ & and ‘you haven’t heard it until you listen to it on a 500 system’ blah blah blah.
Just my opinion of course!

Apologies. I only tend to recommend and play music that I actually like. And I don’t have a 500 rig.

2 Likes

Good player i saw him many times

Didn’t say you had a 500 rig, it was representative of others posts on this forum!
No offence taken, all good

1 Like

No worries. There’s loads of people here with excellent taste in music who don’t go on about their systems. That’s all. Enjoy your music!

PS: I do have an exceedingly good taste in music and a cracking system! Just saying…:sunglasses:

4 Likes

I’m sure you do, as long as it entails Bowie & Joy Division! :grin:

3 Likes

Well let’s just say Mr Jones and Mr Curtis get the occasional spin around here.:sunglasses:
Take it easy, Ian.
Tony

1 Like

Looks like the annual Qobuz music sale is back.

I wonder if the content will be much different or easier to search!

2 Likes

The link on their landing page - ‘claim this offer’ is dead, so I’m going for more difficult.

1 Like

Google “qobuz fest” and it comes up quite easily. Lots of offers there. Looks like you navigate by label.

Last week I bought Songs From the Big Chair by Tears for Fears at £15 and now its £6.99! Gutted

Oddly I was only thinking a few days ago their annual sale must be coming up - annoyingly several albums do not get the Qobuz Sublime discount on top and are often cheaper normally with that.

I’ve often found CD compilations are the bargains at around £1 in the past.

I bought that TFF album a few years ago at full price too - maybe not £7.87 perhaps with Sublime member discount. Their prices have gone up in the last 18 months or so though.

It’s intermittently not working for me - weird!

For any Sublime members TFF Songs from the Big Chair is £3.49!

Individual labels must specify whether there’s any extra Sublime discount allowed - some labels offer none and the non-Sublime price is cheaper, some a couple of % only over the standard hi-res offer, whereas Universal seem to allow an extra 50% on some titles off the offer price.

As usual searching out the bargains and ones you haven’t got is the problem.

We could almost do with a separate Qobuz fest standout bargain thread!

I have found universal to be the best bargains in the stuff I like. I bought:

• Cream Disraeli Gears 24/192 £10.99 down from £20.99

• Nick Drake – Pink Moon & Bryter Later, both £10.49 down from £17.49

• REM – Fables of the Reconstruction 24/192 £10.49 down from £17.49

• Karajan doing Bartok spooky music from the Shining - £7.99 (only £1 off this one)

• Berliner Philharmoniker - Herbert von Karajan Rimsky-Korsakov : Scheherazade £7.99 down from £14.99

Others that are good bargains but I have got them already:

• Live At Leeds (Deluxe Edition) - £10.99 down from £20.99. This is the 2014 24/96 master, which has the songs in the right order and extra banter. AFAIK it’s the complete show. Oh yes

• Other Who records look like good bargains as well. Quadrophenia is half price

• Underworld – Dubnobasswithmyheadman £6.99 down from £15.49 – 2014 reconstruction 24/96. Best discount I found apart from Tears for Fears

I haven’t found much of interest in the 80% off section and I don’t know what those BNF records are. It looks like the bulk of offers in terms of volume are in this section.

I suppose it could be argued that the starting prices are a bit much but most of the expensive ones are top names, so this is an opportunity to get them at a reasonable price.

BTW if you want to get the two Joy Division records (Unknown Pleasures and Closer) in their new masters, Juno Download is considerably cheaper than Qobuz. Juno want about £8-9 each. I bought them yesterday as well.

I have also bought a pallet of tinned spaghetti hoops because that is all I can afford to eat for the next month!

3 Likes

Made my downloads today - close to 90 albums with 83 from the action. Made especially my collection of Cyprien Katsaris more complete, but also some interesting ones in the section of jazz.

Will later or tomorrow also have a look at the Hyperion Records stuff - some things to get also from there…

1 Like

The Qobuz sale was a good shout. Thanks for that heads up ( @alley_cat & @SJT, I think it was) :slight_smile:

On a quick run through, I picked up Marillion’s FEAR and Boubacar Traore’s Mariama for seven quid total. Will probably go back for a detailed run through (I do need a complete set of Schubert symphonies…)

Fortunately, we’d already bought the tins of Spaghetti, last month!

2 Likes

F.E.A.R. is an utter bargain - I’m not so keen on the first couple of tracks but it really gets so much better thereafter.

If you enjoy it I’d highly recommend the Albert Hall concert on BluRay or iTunes if you have an AppleTV (All one tonight). I personally think the concert video audio sounds considerably better than the actual album!

In the Qobuz sale Hi Res £10 - stunning album in terms of production and song selection - Her cover of the obscure Jimi Hendrix song Drifting with Marc Ribot on guitar is brilliant. She also includes songs from Lou Reed, Paul Simon, Joni and Fairport selecting some unusual ones.

5 Likes