MusicWorks ReFlex Ultra G3 Distribution Box

I may return my business to them and ask. But next step may be to get the electrician to test the earthing without the PME, but it might need a lengthy period of dry weather to ensure the clay is as dry as it may get. So maybe a Peeked G3 sooner or the Rega Aura. I have to say the Aria is PDG though. The Aura may initiate another round of upgrades so I am wary - walking to Rome may be a better idea!

Phil

1 Like

Hi NAJB.

Like your Michael Kvium avatar :+1:t3:ATB Peter

I cannot pass comment as to the difference in performance plugging the 500PS into the G3 box opposed to plugging into an unswitched wall socket.
However in the confines of using a seperate breaker box/ dedicated spur unswitched into the G3 via a cooker cable/sep. earth cable, my plugin sequence remains the same as I used with the G2:
Socket 1: 500PS
Socket 2: 552PS
Socket 3: 555 Analogue PS
Socket 5: 555 Digital PS ( ie gap before)
This seems to work in my room the best giving the 500 the juice it needs and also allows the dual PS 555 CDP to be slightly less ‘ in your face’.

Maybe worth having a sequence play with the current state of the weather outside.

ATB Peter

No more stepping stones now. Any upgrades will be end-game moves, or stay where I am.

In that case, @NigelB, my advice would be to stick with your 250DR until such point that you can stretch to a 500DR. While the 300DR is a very worthwhile upgrade over the 250, a change I made and enjoyed for a few years, I can tell you that the 500DR is an absolutely massive leap over the 300DR. I was recently discussing all this with my dealer when he popped round to have listen now that my 500DR is pretty much run in. I ventured that the step up in performance between my 300DR and 500DR was a bigger one than when I previously replaced my 282/SCDR with a 552DR. Yes, that big!

2 Likes

i found previously that all naim electronics and source can sound a bit bright or edgy sometimes. This time, and it’s the first time for me, the 500/ 552 both DR with ND 555 was sounding marvelous, with no brightness, great authority and scale, naturalness of tones, and coherence.
It was difficult to come back to my system. It was at the dealer show, with Apertura Everest. One of my best listening for now!

1 Like

Yep MDS the 500DR is a beast :smirk: ATB Peter

1 Like

I know I promised not to ask for a review on here of your ‘audition’ tomorrow at Signals, but I am going to go back on that.

Please let us know what you think, and how you propose to get those beasts past your wife. I guess she will make allowances as she thinks (knows?) we are all bonkers!

1 Like

FWIW,AV-Options, certified Naim repair house, here in the colonies definitely recommends plugging the power amp or power amp PS into the first plug closest to the incoming power cord from wall for their > 1000.00, Ulta HBL power strip. Its in writing in the manual.

Strangely, MusicWorks also issue a plugging order sheet with the G3 and it recommends plugging your power amp (or its PS) into Socket 3. I guess they are never going to ask you spend £1000 (or £1300 with a posh base) on a G3 and then suggest you plug the power amp into the wall!

So far, I have followed the MW recommended plugging order.

PeterR and MichaelF have specified their G3 plugging order. Have others with a G3 followed the MusicWorks recommendation of plugging order, or have found a better way?

I, or rather my dealer, followed the instructions provided with the G3 for plug in order. That included removing the power amp PSU from the wall socket to the G3.

1 Like

Will post the outcome…heart on sleeve

1 Like

Even without a G3 I have 500PS, 552PS and 555DR PS, other sources. The order was a listening thing although I haven’t checked recently.

Only have a Powerline on the 552, but Isotek EV03 Optimum on 500 and 555DR. Historic anomaly but made an audible difference. They are screened. It would be interesting to see what happens if they are replaced with PowerLines.

Before I upgrade to the 552/500 I have an Optimum on the Aria. It made for an Inky black nothingness from the vinyl and more detail. The vinyl was lower priority when the 552/500 arrived, so the Aria only has a PL Lite.

Phil

Off thread, but we saw a number of his paintings in a an art ‘gallery’ somewhere (not far from Allborg, if I remember) in Denmark. I thought he had captured the ‘slimey Gove’ rather well and it suits my less-than-happy view of myself.

The 300DR is a better amp than the standard 300 but not by a massive amount. Guess that’s where the 500 comes in so you probably are best skipping the 300 and going straight to the 500/DR since you’re already running 500 series level source & pre. That should make for a decent upgrade.

You and @Gazza need to get your stories straight, or it will be men in white coats at the door again!

3 Likes

How stupid is this…wife left for work said have a good time at Signals today. Don’t spend anything🥺

5 Likes

Should have stuck with that Nova :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

1 Like

Sounds a bit like my wife :grin: although her reaction when I say “hello, Pete” when answering the phone is “what have you bought now?”