MusicWorks ReFlex Ultra G3 Distribution Box

The house was fully rewired back in 2012 so the installation will be up to current regs and hopefully it’s got a decent earth.

No doubt the new sparky will give me a good idea about the work done previously.

I see. We have a dedicated consumer unit and 10mm2 cable, so the 50amp is ok. You may do well to get a dedicated consumer unit, with earth going back to be meter, even if it means retaining your current dedicated wire, which presumably is smaller than the 10mm2 ideal. The separate earthing makes a big difference.

1 Like

As I understand it an acceptable earth impedance can be higher than a really low impedance such as almost zero ohms. Mine is really low. If you have PME then it may not be as low. £1300 plus a Powerline is quite a lot so it’s a matter of actually what this block does (apart from its wiring it’s a mystery) and what makes for a better electrical supply to the boxes - a potentially fluctuating PME earth within electrical safety limits may have consequences for HiFi. It may be better to invest in a real good earth. Just trying to inform people’s decisions!

Phil

I don’t understand the technicalities of earthing and so on, but based on the sonic effect I’d say it’s good value. At the end of the day, on the basis that the block complies with regulations, that’s really all that matters. Perhaps it’s time for a home trial. I’d certainly have dedicated mains, with separate CU and good earthing before contemplating the block.

1 Like

I’ve just had a new consumer unit installed with three radial spurs of 10mm2 cable, each feeding an unswitched double socket. These each use a 32A type C MCB and together a 100mA RCD. I’m hoping it’ll all work OK, but cannot try it yet as I’m waiting the return of my crossovers. All in it didn’t cost that much more than one of these Music Works distribution blocks.

2 Likes

Nice one Clive. I’ll see what the sparky can do with mine & report back.

In the US you may want to look at AVOPTIONS which has the “ULTRA-HBL Deep-Cryo 6 Outlet 120VAC Power Strip.” You can find reviews on their website.

I’m still unsure of the best option;

1. A bank of 6 seperate dedicated unswitched wall sockets (one for each individual hifi component) or …

2. The 6 way G3 power block plugged into a single socket

Logic and previous recommendations would suggest option 1 … but I’m open to new ideas.

I now live in New Zealand and the G3 is only available with UK sockets (so I’d have to use my UK original hifi power cables (with UK plugs). Since it has to be ordered from the UK, I can’t even audition the power block or try it in my system in order to make a comparison etc.

You would hope that a professional electrician might be able to advise, but we all know that they generally don’t even believe in the benefits of the seperate dedicated hifi mains supply with its seperate consumer unit etc … regarding the idea as pure bonkers! :smile:

So … should I have an electrician install a bank of seperate dedicated wall sockets in my new home or get a G3 power block and plug it into a single wall socket (both options with a dedicated mains supply of course!!!)

Hi Frog.
Sadly it is one of those scenarios, where it will be difficult to do and A to B comparison. You will just have to gamble I suppose, and I suspect the cost of the 2 options will be somewhat similar. From a personal point of view I found the step from the MusicWorks G2 to G3 box completely mesmerising and this so far without the additional ‘sparkly bottom’. Good luck Peter :+1:t3:

1 Like

I think that putting 6 sockets on a wall will be far less expensive than the G3 … but will it sound as good is the real question :smile:

Before the advent of the G2 and G3, most power blocks (some cheap and nasty variants with or without filters etc) were considered not ideal and the advice was always to use dedicated wall sockets where possible.

Now that we have the G3, does that former advice re lots of wall sockets still stand or with its inbuilt ouija board, is the G3 much more magical?

I don’t mind either way but it would be good to get a definitive answer before either commissioning an electrician to do the wall sockets or indeed purchase the G3 :smile:

1 Like

Remember that our power supply in NZ is different than the UK too though. In the end I went for a power strip that also filters power noise, which has been a really good solution in my system. The block is tidy, gives surge protection and the noise filtering has lowered the noise floor and brought music into better focus all round.

Hi Mike, I’m what way is the NZ power supply different to the UK … other than ring mains or radial circuits (which won’t impact on additional power sockets or use of a G3 power block)? The voltage is exactly the same etc :grinning:

That mainly, but my point really is that there may be mains noise and if so, addressing that as well may be beneficial rather than just having more plugs or a distribution block. My dealer lent me a mains noise detector and that led me to getting the power block/filter as a cost effective solution.

I’ll be using a dedicated mains feed for the hifi, so that shouldn’t be a problem, whether using additional wall sockets on the dedicated supply or indeed a single socket for the G3 :grinning:

1 Like

Hopefully, as long as there is no pollution from the street etc,

Unfortunately you will never know! It’s not as if you can trial both options, and the results will vary in different locations, so other people’s experiences may be different to yours. If it was me, I think I’d go for a single 10mm circuit and a decent power block.

1 Like

Many years ago, when I was getting dedicated mains installed, I asked Naim for advice on whether to have multiple Spurs or a single spur and a block. They advised that the latter would give more coherent results, so that’s what I did. Once a choice is made it becomes a bit irrelevant which is best. I can say, however, that the G3 is really very good, even with my relatively modest setup the improvement from plugging directly into the wall was immediately apparent.

1 Like

There is a photo of the wiring which is basically a ring for live and another for neutral with the earth starred. Some here have the qualifications to build their own block. There was a thread recently on earth spikes. Earth stake fixture
I’d suggest that getting the lowest possible earth impedance will help. I have a bank of sockets wired by the electrician as a chain (couple of hours work maybe), and very low earth impedance and I’m very happy with my system. Always follow local regs though.

Phil

I wonder if anyone here that is using the G3 block and also has a dedicated mains would be prepared to test the results of the G3 block in a normal house socket and then in the dedicated socket. I for one would be very interested to hear what peoples thoughts are on the difference. I expect there to be a difference of course but the Peek G3 is so good I wonder how close the gap becomes. I have a brand new house with the entire ground floor laid in vinyl, all the same so doing anything under floor is out. The way the wiring runs to the living room means going from front to back of the house and the wiring runs through the joists currently. Its a big job to get a dedicated feed in. Outside is awkward also as the house is stone (uneven) and the side where it would run is Tarmac leading to a garage. Everything is possible and this is the very last piece of system tweaking left to do but right now ripping the walls and ceiling apart is not attractive!!

1 Like

Odd, I’ve never heard any Ethernet cable make any sound at all, and I’d be very concerned if any did!

I have found that different Ethernet cables can have a different effect on the noise tuning of my streamer, however, with just one exception the effect differs unpredictably between different cables.

The one exception is the only predictable factor: in my system screened cables always sound worse!