MusicWorks ReFlex Ultra G3 Distribution Box

So if someone already feels there is nothing missing in their music it may not be worth buying. £1k is not insignificant.

Phil

You could say that about any potential upgrade - speakers, amp, stands, whatever. This is no different.

Phil, you need to do your own demoing of the G3. It is not for others to advise you that the G3 is worth it (or not) for you in your system.

I simply felt the urge to bring the G3 (again) to the attention of forumites because I believe it is a terrific bit of kit.

Caveat emptor!

If it ain’t broke then don’t fix it. We all try to get objective information. There are no dealers selling this in my area.

Phil

I have been pretty much through the entire Classic range of black boxes and am now venturing into the 500 series. None of these systems I would describe as ‘broke’, but I eventually wanted to hear more and get even closer to the music. So you upgrade. That is the nature of the Naim journey. And so too with peripheral items like mains blocks and cables.

If you are happy with your system then spend any spare cash you have on music, or go on holiday, or buy a car.

Hi Nigel, Your advice is try it out. Fair enough. For me that would be a great deal of faffing about because my dealer doesn’t stock it. I have read so much stuff on Ethernet Cables on this forum that I am eternally grateful that that is one area I have no need to venture into.

Phil

My local dealer doesn’t normally stock it, but ordered one in for me to try. If I recall correctly you mentioned a separate consumer unit, which is something I’d do first. I’d also swap the rather mundane Hifi Racks shelves for Fraim before buying expensive mains blocks.

Maybe just call a couple of dealers and ask them if they don’t mind you returning the item if it does not do what you want. This is usually no problem as you are legally able to return any goods bought via Mail Order anyway! This way you can see the effect for yourself.

I personally plan to buy one of these blocks but would rather do this than faff about with a demo etc. If I like it then I have saved a load of time, and if I don’t like it then I will most likely wait until the next £1 listing offer on eBay and get it listed. Chalk the most likely minimal loss down to experience and the fun of trying new things!

1 Like

Yes to the consumer unit. However, with the Naim Glass etc I’m more than happy with them. In another life I might not have to sort that aspect of my system out, which arose from taking my dealer advice. I’m a bit wary of taking advice now. But it is sorted and I have heard 500 series systems, and I particularly like what my system does at the moment. I think I have a good ear (I’m told that I can hear music and sing it in tune - I’ve just joined a choir), so for now I’ll bide my time until I have evidence to guide me. Not much to ask for. Very happy with my Sopra 2 along with quite a few other people. Choices depend so much on all the variables.

Phil

analogmusic. com, you can test 14 days and return. Don’t forget that there are a lot more than musicworks. It’s not because 3 or 4 members on the forum have appreciated the musicworks that’s this is the only one to test. @Mike_S was very satisfied by the isotek , i by the eros titan… and there are more, cheaper or more expensive.

2 Likes

I followed the advice of @Darkebear regarding testing plug ordering with my daisy chained bank of sockets. Not even got a WW Matrix block, just Crabtree sockets. Likewise forum advice on the spacing between boxes, the ordering and the effect digital boxes can have.

What has thrown me has been the effect my Rega Aria phonostage has had on the 552. It’s now on Naim glass etc raising it up 27mm and I get a big improvement at an emotional level. It’s also in a slightly different horizontal position. There must have been a significant electromagnetic change on the 552. I only expected glass to improve the vinyl though mechanical isolation.

Phil

I don’t have one of these musicworks power blocks, but I do feel I can contribute nonetheless.
Particularly your asking of advise over its emotional effect over the music.
I have read many reviews of Naim kit with the reviewers usually being those known to mention this aspect - but mostly keep it short with one or two tracks of choice highlighting this.
Emotional response is particularly relative to oneself and what system is running in a particular room and music preferences playing - and depending on the time of the month, temperatures, what’s been eaten for dinner, mood of employer on that day and choice of underwear worn that day - and believe me, nothing makes you more susceptible to negative emotions than wearing tight (uk)pants.

4 Likes

Ummm…you might have something there, Tobyjug. When I was emotionally connected to Melody Gardot today, I must admit I was wearing loose-fitting pants. Coincidence……?

Oohhh….errrr….missus.

3 Likes

My mama always said to me : « don’t hide your emotions my son ». Perhaps she was not aware of such a situation…:smiley::scream_cat:

Next time you take a visit to the friendly dealer. Go commando.

TJ, Yes, I can appreciate that the factors listed have an effect although surprised about the last one! I suppose nonetheless that we can sense whether music being listened to is capable of arousing an emotional response irrespective of those factors by qualities it possesses.

Taking it further there are some aspects which bring back memories so the concept of an emotional response is complex and we need to refine the definition a bit. However, not the time for pedantry now!

Thanks for your posts.

Phil

1 Like

Yes. Others have mentioned that the MWB seems to let the system be more itself. If what’s connected already lets emotion through…
Although other devices have been said to suck some of it out.
A few years back I tried that Nordost QB6 block and felt it had a detrimental effect. Polishing up rough edges but robbing some energy. I have a slightly different system now and perhaps it’s addition will be more positive.

Well just had my musicworks block upgraded by Andy at Signals. Even with a cold system its another overall lift in performance, just better all round…no brainer at £300. When i arrived @MichaelF was just finishing a speaker demo, and an A/B comparison of the upgraded “peek” base . He also purchased the upgrade, and can perhaps comment.
Another forum question was is it better on a hard surface…Signals prefer on a carpet?
@NigelB and @anon4489532 asked about can it be done by the customer. From a HSE point of view i think musicworks would rather a dealer performed the task. There would always be one person who did the upgrade with it plugged into the mains or fiddled with the internal wiring? In the first photo you can seethe musicworks instructions on how not to electrocute yourself…they are covering themselves by getting it done as a dealer fit.
However, its real simple to do. Remove the 4 screws on the top plate and be careful not to lose the “peek” washers…they are expensive. Turn over pull out the feet, and remove the base plate and discard ( seems a shame). Remove plastic film on either side of new peek plate, position in place, slot the feet in. Turn over and use the screws and washers to fasten, just tighten and then give a small extra nip to tighten, don,t over tighten. Done.
So i think you can easily do it if you have a good dealer relationship and they trust your ability…it certainly a good upgrade imo.

2 Likes

Interesting, a star earthing system as expected but the live and neutral are wired to create a small ring?

:small_blue_diamond:@Gazza,…Excellent, do you know what it is for socket.?
Furutech, Oyaide, MK or any other brand.

/Peder🙂