MusicWorks ReFlex Ultra G3 Distribution Box

Having taken out the true signals cable and back to the naca5…i had a drop in SQ in terms of musicality, dynamics and bass tightness. This stupid piece of plastic was like putting the cables back.
It can’t be calming the electrons down, just reducing vibrations and microphony through my powerline cables plugged into the block. Now the Powerline is already designed to reduce this, but obviously more could be done. I spoke with Andy at Signals who will ask Naim if they have looked into using “peek” in their cables connectors for isolation etc.

Perfect! Thanks

Thanks @Gazza and @MichaelF for the feedback on this stupid piece of plastic. Looking forward to it.

What is going on though? How can a piece of plastic stuck on the bottom of a distribution block make such a positive contribution to SQ. As you say Gazza, from my discussions with Alistaire at Signals it is more about vibration isolation rather than noise isolation. But who really knows?

Good idea BTW Gazza to suggest Naim take a peek at Peek.

It’s a funny old world!

It would of course push prices ever higher!! Yes it is plain daft when you look at it logically… but it works and I suppose any form of isolation and reduction of vibration and microphony must make a difference… I also suspect it is helping the design of the Powerline to reach its full potential.

2 Likes

Certainly agree with your last point Michael, which is why I got an extra PowerLine to go between the G3 and the wall, in addition to PowerLines from the G3 to all Naim black boxes (power supplies). I can’t be bothered to test it, but I wonder what part PowerLines, in conjunction with the G3, are playing.

Hi Gazza, will you get the true signal cables back or just keep the naca5?

I did a back to back yesterday with Naim SL in a 552/500 Kudos 808 system. The SL overall was better in keeping it more cohesive, particularly the bass, but actually slightly less vibrant and musical. So i have put a pin in this…i will have a 552/500 demo in a couple of weeks at Signals…then decide.

@MichaelF I note that you have your amp PS not plugged into the box but directly into the wall socket. Any reason for this? I’m in the states and use an A-V Options ultraHBL box, also about 1000.00 dollars, where they recommend a certain order with amp,pre-amp and source(ND555)power supplies plugged into the box. All Powerlines btw.

I have my Power Amp (250DR) plugged directly into the wall with the 555PS and 552PS plugged into the MusicWorks G2 (soon to be G3 with the addition of the Peek base), as recommended by the Dealer who provided the G2. Not sure of the rationale for this though.

I am no expert here but have followed advice of my dealer and that of Darke Bear. I suspect that it is to do with power demands of the power amp, NAP500 in my case, when the music demands high current to be drawn. I am sure someone here will be able to give a more technical answer!

Thats exactly what i was told Nap 300 directly to wall socket, the rest to the musicworks block.

Well @Gazza, what does the most expensive piece of plastic in the world sound like at home?

I have just read that sentence back and realise how bonkers elements of this hobby is!

It just does what the original upgrade did, and then some more. Everything gets an uplift. As @MichaelF said…Andy can do a demo , i just took a punt on it. Glad i did . Wife will be back shortly will give her a listen…she actually liked the True Signal cables, now we are back to NACA5.
I think this silly plastic base gets us back to the better cable sound.

1 Like

I will be Peek’d next week!

1 Like

Are you going to Signals, if so i would try and get there?

happy days😎

1 Like

Done!

1 Like

Well I am two days in now after the upgrade and have had a good listen the weather being so wet outside today. To my ears the upgrade had provided a cleaner sound with a quieter noise floor letting the music flow with a natural ease and better soundstage. It will be interesting to read others comments as more of us get the upgrade and report back.

2 Likes

Is the Radikal affecting the Naim gear when it’s plugged into the main block?

I wouldn’t say that I noticed any degradation but I did read on the old forum that it was good practice to keep Linn supplies away from the Naim gear, I have a spare ring mains socket there so why not use it. This possibly harks back to the day when my LP12 was powered by a Lingo which was notoriously ‘noisy’.