Muso connecting

Absolutely…

I don’t know whether it’s a poor wireless chipset, poor aerial or both on the 1st gen devices, but if hardwiring is not an easy option I’ve achieved good results by plugging in a wireless client device into the ethernet port.

Thanks. It’s certainly worth thinking about
I just don’t like wires trailing…

How big are these ‘wireless client’s’ Is there a particular brand/model you’d recommend. Or are they pretty much all alike.

Personally I use a GL-MT300N v2 (actually a mini travel router) which needs a bit of configuring via a PC/Mac/tablet/smart phone to enable network extender or WDS mode (not too difficult, there is a good online manual). In theory you could even power it from the MuSo USB port but this particular device draws such little current that the port soon ignores it and shuts down. There are more “plug and play” wireless ethernet bridge devices available which need less configuring. I found this cheap one on Amazon as an example -

Other brands are available.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. And many more thanks for the link. I now know exactly what type of device you’re talking about…:+1::muscle::+1:

Agreed, I have 3 Muso/QBs and they all connect 1st time via Wireless. If they don’t (and they can pickup a decent Wireless signal) then contact naim Support
Saying that run UTP cables if you can, a dedicated 100 Mbps link is always going to beat WiFi

Well, long story short:

It works fine with a LAN cable direct into the hub.
So much for wireless…

Will getting an exchange be a solution?!?

I use a Netgear Orbi MESH router with my Qb (1st gen) and Uniti Star connected wirelessly and have no issues streaming internet radio (even FLAC streams) or Hi-Res music. ISP supplied routers are often not very good, so upgrading to a (preferably tri-band) MESH system is well worth the cost.

I guess this is the sort of router you’re talking about?
The cable option is okay just now, because of location…
But I might upgrade if I get a better ISP…

From what I understand, Naim equipment is fussy about the wifi signal it gets. Mesh router extenders could be a problem. In my own experience, I have no practical way of connecting a wired link, so I played around with setting the connection wirelessly to the router and the extender, via browser access to the Mu-so and set the connection to the nearest, strongest signal source … it seems to work consistently, for me anyhow. It needs experimentation.

1 Like

MESH routers are not extenders. In my experience Wi-Fi extenders cause more problems than they solve!

When setting up a MESH system it is best to use in router mode, providing your existing router can be placed into modem mode, as this prevents issues like double NAT occurring. Otherwise disable your existing router Wi-Fi and set the MESH system into access point mode.

My Orbi is set as router mode, as I use a VDSL modem, and I have no issues with any of my Wi-Fi connected devices. A system with two MESH devices, like the Orbi RBK20 is a good starting point for most smaller UK homes.

1 Like

I have a 1st gen muso and a 272, both have been a pita for wifi connectivity since I got them about 5 years ago. But persevered at the time and spoke to naim about router settings which helped and eventually connectivity became more stable. It helped that I had a suitable router and could use my Virgin device in modem only mode, as apparently naim stuff really didn’t like Virgin kit…

These days muso wifi connection is rock solid, 272 disappears from Rooms on app occasionally but switching it off and on again cures this.

It still feels very disheartening though, we have had/still have many different devices on our wifi network over the years and no other product has had this issue, only the expensive naim stuff! And clearly it’s an issue which has affected many users. Wish they’d done it better.

Muso-2 wireless problems are what keep me from recommending the Muso to friends and family. Why can a $60 Raspberry pi 4 stay solidly connected to my network and a $1600 Muso-2 can’t? As a weekend project , I set up a pi as a wireless streamer. It performed flawlessly. See my post here.

1 Like

Too true…

Sadly when people buy a product, they usually go to any length to extol it’s virtues (even if there are none) to portray themselves in a good way…

Hi all
Not sure if it’s because I’ve got a ‘gen 1’ special edition Muso (champagne - has it got different wifi?) but: never had a problem with wifi, also got a QB in the furthest point in the house from the router (bog standard EE router) - never a problem: is it just ‘how good/bad’ the routers signal is? :blush:

@JR007

It’s not the router per se. It could be that some people just have a weak signal. For me the Muso is the only device out of about a dozen I have connected to my wifi that has problems staying connected. Most people likewise are seeing issues only with the Muso. There is a post from Steve Harris who works for Naim that explains some of it.

See here.

He helped me troubleshoot my problem and I know that Naim is working on correcting it. It may be fixed now with the latest firmware update. I don’t know. My problem had to do with USA wifi bands and auto-switching between 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. I decided to go wired to avoid the wifi issues and I have not tried wifi on the Muso since.

Lucky you to get that champagne edition. :grinning: Enjoy the music!

1 Like

Bless you, read it & ‘get it’ - helped me understand the wifi ecosystem a bit more, & I feel for those of you that struggle to get consistency.

Having to use my Muso as the main listening system at the moment (200 in for service) - got to say: when working consistently they are ‘a bit special’.
Hope you all get it sorted, & enjoy the music.
Thanks again for that link :slight_smile:

I think you’re right to a degree.
Compatibly between muso and router/hub…

I’ve got a G1 Muso and a G1 Muso QB. The main Muso is connected via Ethernet and gives no problems. The QB, when connected via WiFi, keeps on losing the connection to the Naim App although Internet Radio and streaming from my Melco work fine (mostly unless I try and change the music when it’s having a hissy fit). After a bit the connection to the app reappears and all is fine for a while. When the QB is connected to an Ethernet port there are no problems at all. I’ve recently upgraded my WiFi to a EERO mesh network (from an office Draytek which worked for everything else) giving 300Mbps (the same as my Internet connection) so we’ll see if that helps.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.