Must-see movies

Hi bhoyo, at first I thought you were referring to the Tetsuo film and I couldn’t think who Igor was.

Yes, it’s a brilliant film…that scene left me somewhat speechless and I thought it was handled brilliantly by the director/actors. I was thinking, what other film made me feel that emotionally confused whilst watching it, then I remembered a series of scenes in Lars Von Trier’s Dogville, which left me emotionally exhausted afterwards.

1 Like

Lars Von Trier! There’s another challenging bugger. I’ve seen many of his movies (and his ancient and weird TV show about a hospital), but not Dogville.

1 Like

This is fantastic. If you need a good excuse to see what is ostensibly a woman’s film, watch it with daughters, sisters, mum, wife and/or girlfriend. But, honestly, it’s for guys too.

2 Likes

Normally I’ll stick with a record or book and grind it out but Dogville and more recently The House that Jack built have tried my patience to the extreme.

Mrs. H. went to see it whilst the boy and I saw Knives Out. Each loved our respective films so we swapped over. Both great films.

1 Like

We watched Knives Out last night. What a hoot! Daniel Craig’s awful accent was all part of the fun.

1 Like

Glad you enjoyed it.

Day of the Dead. 1985.
George A Romero follow up.
Remember first watching this on video in the days when the daily mail was reporting about video nasties.
It felt a very visceral and bleached out tense experience that took some time to lose the trauma it brought about.
Watching it now, some scenes are still shocking and others could be on today’s prime time Dr Who.

3 Likes

That’s a good movie @TOBYJUG but I think Romero’s 1978 Dawn of The Dead is even better:

4 Likes

discreet

Probably my favourite pretentious French movie, which I rushed to see for the first time after Barry Norman gushed on Film '72 about the delightful Stephane Audran.

3 Likes

Are you sure ?

This has got to be the best scene ever for this shtick. :scream:

2 Likes

I saw the Luis Bunuel film An Chien Andalou which was the support slot when Bowie played the Empire Pool Wembley in May 1976.

The whole crowd gasped at the shot following this scene.

1 Like

After my teenage delight with Discreet Charm, I watched as many Bunuel films as I could find. This one was easily the most alarming (and least fun).

2 Likes

Yes I like that one…totally bananas but a great director.

1 Like

…it’s not all doom and gloom, you know?!:flushed:

7 Likes

Classic!

1 Like

You remind me - ‘Paths of Glory’.

G

I would add The Deep Blue Sea, by the same Terence Davies, which introduced me to Samuel Barber’s wonderful violin concerto.

Anyone for Wenders’ Wings of Desire, or Paris, Texas? Or Antonioni’s Blow-Up, any of Fellini’s works?

Have you tried Melancholia?