My knob keeps moving

My listening room only contains my Naim gear and nothing else.

So if what you are saying is that one day you centre the knob, and then go back another day and find that it has moved. I would suggest it’s haunted.

Hence the camera option

Maybe you could put a small toothpick to secure it with, but the thought of putting a toohtpick on my knob does not sound delightfull

2 Likes

It could scratch my knob and damage it. There must be another solution.

1 Like

Blu tak ? Every audiophile has a packet in their drawers.

1 Like

A small piece of folded paper?

Tbh, I’d prefer to live with a deviated knob rather than seeing the sight of blu tac or a folded piece of paper wedged up my knob.

3 Likes

Probably needs a good servicing. You should get in touch with your friendly dealer.

1 Like

As do we all i’m sure

2 Likes

I agree with Tobyjug, - “you need a good servicing”.
Don’t be tempted to pull your knob off, to recentre it.
My knob has an LED in the end, it might never light up again if it gets damaged.

1 Like

Dude, stop it. Can’t take it anymore!

1 Like

I have done this. It’s perfectly feasible. The famous knob slides onto a knurled spindle of the Alps balance control easily. The wires powering the LED are long enough to curl within the inside hollow part of the knob. Easy as pie even if the thought may upset a forumite or two…

1 Like

I’d be loathe to send it in for a service since I bought it new in 2014. I gather it’s only me that has a deviated knob?

. . . joking part, that is interesting, I wonder if the curled wire could act as a spring and want to pull back on the rotation

1 Like

Wait a minute, I hope you can appreciate that I’m reluctant to pull my knob off because I’ve never done it before. It’s like filleting a fish, it seems easy on paper but much more difficult in practice, especially should one encounter any problems.

Somehow i get the feeling it is all a load of bollocks talking about a knob

3 Likes

@artist Yes, perhaps. There is enough length for the LED wires to lay flat and curl within the “cup” of the knob’s inside, allowing for freedom to rotate left and right. If someone has previously intervened here, the wires could be wrapped around the spindle causing a shortening of the turn course. I would do this:

1. Check end of course rotation for left and right. If there is an imbalance it would require recentering of the knob.
  2. If this is the case, or to check if the wires are wrapped around the spindle, simply pull straight out firmly, check wire lay, adjust and replace by pushing straight back in firmly.

The knob’s center hole is plastic which grips sufficiently onto the metal Alps spindle and holds firm.
I had to adjust mine due to left/right course imbalance whose origins I cannot explain.
Result: LED is dead center with equal course distance for left and right. Sounds is dead center. Perfect. End of intervention.

Disclaimer: obviously there is risk involved and performing this adjustment must be done under one’s own responsibility. Proper advice would be to have the unit checked by Naim service.

Am I the only one who thinks that picture shows the knob perfectly centre?

Certainly not distractingly off center…

If it is slightly off centre as shown and doesn’t move further I would suggest you forget about it. It simply doesn’t matter. Just stop staring at the equipment and enjoy the music.

You could also take a really close look at yourself in the mirror. You will see that you are not symmetrical. One of your ears is bigger than the other. Your nose isn’t straight. Your eyebrows are different. Embrace asymmetictricy.

1 Like