My SL2s have died!

Many thanks for not suggesting sacrificing a pair of Allaes this time, Richard!

Best, C.

4 Likes

I see one pair for sale, in excellent condition, on the auction site. But 2,5 k seems a lot, not ?

As a final resort, there are many speaker repair shops that will remove the cone from the mid bass driver and refit a voicecoil that is as close as possible to the original. It may not be as highly specā€™ed, but it will be close and the speakers will at least not be throw away. Its messy with rubber surround removal and gluing together but SL2 are worth saving. The replacment tweeters are new versions so they are worth the effort and may bring some improvements. Richards credo opton is the best option for sure.

4 Likes

Yes @HiFiman , I had the same issue. Luckily for me, I was sitting beside the SN2 when it did this and I was able to reach over and hold it till I was able to hit the off switch which saved my newly rebuilt speakers.
It happened 2 or 3 more times, but I was always ready for it by then. Finally, I posted here and Richard suggested that it could be caused by interference from a few items, one of which was a WiFi app controllable light bulb. I had a lamp on top of my rack with such a bulb in it, so I changed it to an incandescent bulb. Since then, the SN2 has never wildly gone to full volume again. Working fine now.
Hope this helps with the amp issue at least.
Very sorry to hear about your speakers demise. I would be very, very, put out ā€¦

3 Likes

So sorry to hear this. What a nightmare.

2 Likes

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the kind words, advice on this thread, it helps.
Yes, its unfortunate that the Naim app caused the destruction of the SL2s, Iā€™m currently weighing up the cost, hassle, music downtime etcā€¦ but its not the end of the world, time to look at the options and put a plan together.

1 Like

I think the nearest equivalent sold by Scanspeak now does involve some alteration to the metal hardware holding the SL2 tweeter as the connection tags are in a different place.

1 Like

Itā€™s Ā£2.1K so not as scary as it sounds in ā‚¬s! I donā€™t think thatā€™s excessive actually. They are a very special loudspeaker.

2 Likes

I am so sorry what theā€¦
So bad :sob:
What a nightmareā€¦ hope someone can helpā€¦ maybe class a or naim

1 Like

I have a spare set of tweeters but some are still available online.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear of your problems.

Is it just the tweeter that has gone?

3 Likes

Thanks guys this is amazing :slightly_smiling_face:
I called Darran at Class A earlier and they donā€™t service crossovers anymore, Darran recommended Wilmslow Audio.

3 Likes

Some great suggestions and positive ideas here.

Forum At Its Best.

IMO, Naim SL2ā€™s would definitely be worth saving, even if this means fitting modern Scanspeak (similar) tweeters and have the bass units rebuilt to ā€˜near asā€™ original.

PS. Wilmslow Audio - or Falcon Acoustics - would both be worth checking with, IMOā€¦

3 Likes

Unfortunately I donā€™t have the previous tweeters!
I may sell the SL2s as is and state they need to be checked over then look at the ATC SCM20PSLT as they can be positioned close to the wall.

3 Likes

So sorry to hear this

1 Like

No - try to save her, please! You love the SL2 - you should give her a chance!

5 Likes

Can I suggest you give Andrew at Anapeach Loudspeaker Restoration a call. He rebuilt my ancient B&W DM6s a couple of years ago. Heā€™s a magician.

2 Likes

One thought. If the Naim App did this then could the same happen again? Is there any way to prevent it?

Very disappointing to lose your SL2ā€™s, but perhaps try to view it as an opportunity to explore new possibilities that who knows, you may end up preferring.

Is it possible to settle a max volume possibility, so that the volume canā€™t reach a dangerous level ?

1 Like

I would suspect that the preamp could be the culprit here. Somewhere between the system automation cable, the little servo motor on the control, and the pot itself, where everything is analogue and mechanical, there could be a fault, and perhaps a recurrence is possible.

1 Like