N-Sat loudspeaker

My fifth pair, in cherry, was eventually driven by 282, SC, 250 (non-DR). The combo made them sound powerful and perfectly satisfying, but I didn’t like the sound of the 282/250 so it all went. As I said, and as is the experience of many, the more and better power you feed them, the finer they sound. As soon as I have properly terminated NAC A5s, I’ll put mine hard against the wall even though the wall is not a hard solid one but a brick, somehow resonating one.

2 Likes

I agree on the n-Sub. I first heard them years ago at HH’s place (very good fish, a lovely home and a nice family), and the Sats/Sub integration sounded perfect. I simply wasn’t able to replicate it myself. But if I find a good 2nd hand one, I will buy it and try again.

They arn’t magic speakers, though. They are small and they don’t deliver a terrific amount of bass. I have a pair in the kitchen, they are fine in a smaller space.

N-Satisfaction it is IB :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have piano black n-SATs with n-SUB and a very nice speaker system it is indeed. The n-SUB definitely fleshes things out and helps to bring a sense of tonal ease to the sat’s, as well as more weight.

However, I’m still convinced a full range floor-stander gives a better and more cohesive result such as Naim’s Allae or NEAT’s Motive SX2 for example.

2 Likes

A change from this?

1 Like

You are very kind. I bought the sub from Norman and Ian from the now extinct UHES. Norman has long history of designing hifi and getting the best results in the room and thought the back wall would work best, and so it proved. I could sit about 60cm from the sub, yet it was still perfectly integrated with the sats. While the extra bass extension was good to have, it was the way that the chestiness of the sats was removed. It worked on all music, even solo violin, where the sub added space and the ambience of the recording venue. How it does it I don’t know, but it was very effective.

3 Likes

That’s interesting that you sited the sub on the back wall. I may try this myself. So far I’ve only tried the n-SUB quite local to the main speakers, either in-between or to one-side.

Assuming that everyone has a different perception, in first instance system set up and room dimension/shape is paramount. Mine are on their dedicated stands along a a 11m solid wall and they actually excel for bass, scale and speed (Our Max B. can testify)
For the record some decades ago had a pair of Linn Kan. When placed on the short 3m wall bass and scale were absolutely nil. In the same room and placed on the long wall (4.9m) bass extension, scale and soundstage were totally transformed. My last acquisition, a nice pair of IBL in the other room on a very long wall as well are much lighter with bass but with an even better midrange with quasi-electrostatic quality

That is why, among all possible speaker upgrades, the best idea would be for me to keep the Sats and those qualities of theirs I cannot give up with, and add their dedicated sub - which, BTW, is also a very fine and attractive piece of equipment.

I heard N-Sat with N-Sub many time with Nait5. Excellent sound for a small speaker. I thought they were a better value than the Naim floorstanders available in the US at that time. Space dependent for sure though.

When I had just removed the large sofa but the circular carpet was not there yet, the room was a bit too resonating, but the Sats sounded live, open, engaging, and much larger than they are.
Speakers like those - or, for that, my former Klipsch Heresy IIIs - seem to love some reverberation. The room has to be heard to a certain extent. Or so my ears prefer.

1 Like

Do you have a Naim dealer nearby who maybe perhaps familiar with n-SATs and could check them out for you?

Stands solid steel
Naim speaker cable
Technics sl1200g , Primare r 35 , Dynavector xx2mk2

vielen dank für eure unterstützung . vielleicht sind die n-sat einfach nicht meiner lautsprecher .

1 Like

Thank you.

It’s possible this may help if you don’t have the manual. From the Naim manual:

“Choose a site where they can be located between 1.2m and 4m apart (4ft and 13ft), clear of room corners, and where each loudspeaker is between 5cm and 60cm (2” and 24”) away from a solid back wall. It is not necessary to angle the loudspeakers inwards towards the listening position.”

Hallo Christopher , thanks a lot for your help .
Kind regards
Chris

1 Like

Hallo Ricsimas , I look and the polarity is ok .
Thanks
Kind regards
Chris

I try now the speaker are parallel. The sound is much better .

3 Likes

Just out of curiosity how much are a pair of N-Sats (no stands) going for these days?